New Angle: Catapult For Hire Turns To Kickstarter

By Adam Smith on February 7th, 2014 at 7:00 pm.

*Furiously bangs gavel on empty oil drum*

Listen. You can go fishing with your catapult. I’ve been violently enthusing about Tyrone Henrie’s Catapult For Hire since I first encountered it in October of 2011. The game has been in development for three and a half years, and the freelance protagonist faces many of the struggles that are familiar to a hard-working indie developer, balancing projects and financial matters. The prototype I played was joyous, a whimsical and superbly crafted blend of high adventure and physics-based destruction. The Kickstarter is aiming for $36,000 to allow Tyrone to devote all his energies to the game for the first time and if it doesn’t succeed, I will be moved to believe that people do not care for wonderful and strange creations. A video should convince you if I cannot.

I feel comfortable suggesting that a pledge is a fine idea if anything about the game appeals and you’d like to play it. Having already spent time with a solid slice of catapulting action, I’m confident that the basics are in place and that the extra few months of work will lead, at the very least, to a functional game, as advertised.

If everything goes to plan, it’ll be much more than that and with its puzzles, grand campaign, actually entertaining boss battles and catapults that can go fishing, I wouldn’t be surprised if Tyrone ended up with a hit. Should he fulfil the early promise, and add as much content and variety as suggested, Catapult For Hire might well end up being one of my favourites this year.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Alex Hopkinson says:

“I’m afraid I’ve got some baaaaad news!”

• Stod1936 says:

my friend’s sister makes $69 an hour on the computer . She has been fired for 5 months but last month her paycheck was $16554 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit their website..

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.Jobs84.com

• HaroldJLawyer says:

my classmate’s half-sister makes $78 /hr on the laptop . She has been laid off for 10 months but last month her pay check was $16930 just working on the laptop for a few hours. you can check here……. http://www.KeptMoney.com

2. anagcalderon says:

my roomate’s mother makes $88 an hour on the computer . She has been laid off for eight months but last month her check was $12180 just working on the computer for a few hours. read this article =============>>>> http://www.jobs39.com

3. Bahlof says:

If this Kickstarter isn’t successful the development might hit rock bottom.

4. AshEnke says:

I backed it, it looks very interesting.

But $36 000 seems like a big sum for a one-man game, and there’s no budget breakdown. Let’s say there are $5000 for licenses and hardware, it’s still a lot of money for 8 months of development !

• amateurviking says:

It’s a fairly reasonable professional salary plus overheads is what it is.

• zal says:

Assuming kickstarter only takes 10%, thats close to 50k/yr salary … Which is more than than insurance salesmen and fast food managers make!

If game developers start making that much, people will flock to the field. Imagine how much worse off we’d be in a world where half of the insurance and fast-food has been replaced with fun computer games.

5. Theimithad72 says:

my friend’s ex-wife makes $72 an hour on the laptop . She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $12731 just working on the laptop for a few hours. navigate to this website…

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.Jobs84.com

6. loud says:

Thanks for the post Adam!

@AshEnke – Good point, I do need to add a budget breakdown. Besides any possible licenses / hardware I also have to pay for sound effects and music done by the composers. You also have to account for Kickstarter’s cut, Amazon’s cut, and taxes.

7. EmmaPJohnson says:

my classmate’s mom makes $87 every hour on the internet . She has been without a job for five months but last month her pay was $14723 just working on the internet for a few hours.
    visit site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,http://www.Fizzjob.com

8. Wromem72 says:

my friend’s ex-wife makes $63 /hour on the computer . She has been out of work for ten months but last month her pay was $15886 just working on the computer for a few hours. go to this web-site,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

9. richardeflanagan says:

I can vouch for this game as being awesome. The level of polish that Tyrone has already achieved is enviable, and the depth he’s imbued into the game is staggering. It oozes with care, soul and heart – so throw some money at it why don’t ya!

And for those saying that what he’s asking for is a lot of money, it just isn’t, plain and simple.

• HPLoveshack says:

Had to log in to agree with you, how the hell is 36,000 dollars a lot for 8 months of full-time development?

After kickstarter’s cut, amazon’s cut, and taxes he’ll probably end up with more like 30,000, if that. But even 36k for 8 months (54k per year) is still significantly below even the entry level wages for a software developer in the US let alone someone experienced and driven enough to actually release a finished product.

Some of these commenters have no idea what they’re talking about when it comes to money.

Comment on this story