Believe It Or Not: New Alien: Isolation Screenshots

By Craig Pearson on February 10th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Here are some new shots from Sega’s merry space rom-com, Alien: Isolation. I believe it’s a comeback vehicle for Tim Allen *record-scratch, generic baseline-driven disco* who’s about to find out that trying to stalk the daughter of Sigourney Weaver through the bowels of a space station isn’t as easy as he imagined. Along the way, he’ll find out what it’s truly like to be an acid-blooded killing machine in a world that’s moved on. I believe the synthetic that’s been torn apart in the screens might also be a comeback for Rob Schneider.

Truth be told, these screenshots are a little bit cheaty: one scene has been shot from three different angles, in a cunning and nefarious attempt to fool us, and the clues are there if you look closely. Or if you get some binoculars and look through the wrong end. But I like the chunky retro-futuristic space-tech in there, so I’m posting them. I do hope the little robot in the fourth screenshot isn’t voiced by Ian Holm, and it’s too early on a Monday morning for me to go into any more details on the reason why.

Alien: Isolation is out this year, but I hear creative differences have shelved Allen: Isolation.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Viroso says:

I love the noodle innards androids have in the Alien series.

2. SomeDuder says:

Wait, what, are we accepting this now? Well okay, but I’m still not happy about it being about Ripley’s daughter, unlikeliest of all the protagonists this universe has to offer.

Also, graphically, it’s not that impressive. Unless… IS THIS GOING TO BE PORTED TO ANDROID/IOS??????????????????????????????????????????

• Spakkenkhrist says:

Any point you might have had was invalidated by your scandalous waste of question marks.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Haven’t you heard?????????????????????????????????????? They can now synthesise new question marks directly from raw illudium phosdex. It’s a scientific miracle! The question mark shortage is at an end.

• Edlennion says:

Undoubtedly great news, but over here there’s a shortage of full stops If it weren’t for capital letters I don’t know what we’d do Here’s hoping those scientists can tackle the great full stop famine of 2014 before it gets too bad

Jackablade says:

I don’t think we should be too hasty about mass producing question marks. You may recall we’ve run alarmingly low on Illudium Phosdex in the past. While there is certainly value in question marks, conserving our precious resources for the constuction of shaving cream is something that absolutely needs to be taken into account.

Gap Gen says:

Say nothing of the terrible conditions of the illudium phosdex miners slaving away in terrible conditions in China. While so far mining disasters have been low the notoriously lax safety standards could turn a simple cave-in into a full-blown apostrophe.

• Hinaro says:

I should draw my pistol and shoot you down on the spot for this blasphemy. Who in their right mind still uses shaving cream? Worry not in the reserves of this foul beardslayer and repent to the Great Mane or you shall be guffawed at on your next sighting.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

I read in the Daily Express that Illudium Phosdex causes cancer.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Yes, not only does it make not sense what so ever, it’s completely unecessary.

Bad Creative-Assembly. No biscuit.

• Cleave says:

I don’t know if there’s any more lore about her in the novels or whatever but I don’t mind the explanation that she went off trying to find out what happened to her mum, ending up involved in it. Still, I thought Aliens seemed to imply that she had a long, normal, alien free life on earth.

• fish99 says:

Yup, it did.

• Nicodemus Rexx says:

CA said in an interview that their perspective was that, in ALIENS, as soon as Burke revealed that the entire mission was a front for Weyland-Yutani to try to acquire the Xenos for bio weapons AGAIN, everything he said in the whole movie becomes suspect. This gives them the ability to just say he was lying again; telling Ripley what she would want to hear so he’d keep her full attention.

After all “Your Daughter lived a long happy life.” is a statement that raises fewer questions and is less likely to inspire distractions than: “Your Daughter may or may not have had blood-curdling, Xenos themed adventures trying to find out what happened to you.”

Or, I should say it’s less suspicious to most people, lol.

• fish99 says:

Of course as soon as you say “Oh that character was lying” then you can just make up any old tosh :p

The question becomes whether that course of events is believable, and the answer is no, because the company did nothing after the end of Alien to further investigate LV426, and no one went back to the derelict ship over the course of 50+ years, until Burke sends the colonists out there after reading Ripleys report when she gets back, which doesn’t suggests Burke was part of a conspiracy, or that the company knew much about the alien, or that there had been any further encounters with the alien. In fact in Aliens you get the impression Burke is acting on his own for personal gain, rather than on company orders.

• LennyLeonardo says:

I thought Little Ripley was a great idea for a protagonist. Am I missing something?

• Geebs says:

“Lore” ruins everything, but it particularly ruins horror. I mean when have you heard of “fear of the exhaustively documented”?

• LennyLeonardo says:

Excellent point.

• Small Ivory Knight says:

The SCP Foundation is all about the horror of the exhaustively documented.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

SCP is more like a study of the full extent to which everything on SCP is horrifyingly wrong. It’s an exhaustive documentation of the lack of exhaustive documentation, if you will.

• Shooop says:

But they don’t write linear stories, so they don’t have to worry about contradicting themselves or labeling anything a “reimagining”.

3. BreadBitten says:

*record-scratch, generic baseline-driven disco*

Someone’s been watching old episodes of South Park apparently…

4. gschmidl says:

Not “Believe it or Newt”? I am disappointed.

5. GamesInquirer says:

I bet Routine will be better as it doesn’t have to tie itself to a license or dilute its themes just to appeal to more casual gamers in hopes of sales numbers that will make up for a license and costly development.

• cunningmunki says:

I hope Routine will be better as it doesn’t have to tie itself to a license or dilute its themes just to appeal to more casual gamers in hopes of sales numbers that will make up for a license and costly development

• GamesInquirer says:

Well, if we’re talking hopes, I’d rather hope both games will be amazing and equally so. I just wouldn’t bet that will be the case given the industry’s history.

6. Infinite says:

I’m cautiously optimistic about this one and why did she have to be Ripley’s daughter(Ripley’s awesome but whyyyyy), why not Ripley’s niece? I also wonder how Ripley could have a human child, didn’t she become the “Mother of Xenomorphs” or something(I don’t know very much about theAlien/Aliens lore). Hmm, I think I’ll stay cautiously optimistic until I’ve seen some more but I do find it quite interesting… argh *must not fall for hype ploy*.

• tentaclesex says:

Her daughter was established in Aliens. Not saying it’s a great idea, but there we are.

Gap Gen says:

Didn’t Ripley give birth to an alien at one point? So maybe this is like Gone Home, where as Ripley’s daughter you come home to find your whole crew missing, and have to find out where your alien sister has gone by opening drawers and rifling through android guts.

RedViv says:

Ripley’s daughter is mentioned in a deleted scene from Aliens for the first time. It’s on the wonderful Utoobs!

• Ergates_Antius says:

It was a deleted scene? I’m sure that was in the movie all along.

Maybe I had a directors cut or something.

Rizlar says:

She is definitely mentioned at the start of Aliens.

• cunningmunki says:

Yeah, it’s from the ‘Special Edition’, which is pretty much the standard edition nowadays so it’s not really considered a ‘deleted’ scene any more. It’s an important scene because it gives more depth to Ripley’s maternal instinct concerning Newt.

• bill says:

When did the Special Edition become the standard edition? It’s not half as good as the standard edition. Why would something like this happen????????????????????????????????? (<-scandalous!)

• Geebs says:

Shame the special edition also totally ruined the suspense of the arrival scene. I wish the Mundane Edition was available on DVD.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Utoobs looks like a euphemism. But I’m not sure what it should be a euphemism for.

Gap Gen says:

It’s when a Flash video is so bloated and poorly encoded that it appears to have grown breasts.

• buzzmong says:

To be honest, if they wanted to retcon the history of Ripley’s daughter, that scene in Aliens is a excellent point to start from.

After all, the films (and books) portray The Company (aka Weyland Yutani) and its bigwig staff as manipulating and uncaring bastards who are only out for profit, so it’s entirely plausible that Burke just fed Ripley a load of tosh so she’d do what they wanted.

As far as explainations go, it would fit with the universe, and is infinitely much better than what Colonial Marines tried to do.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

Well you see in early focus testing we had a strong female lead who wasn’t a Ripley, but the carefully selected gamers all said “where’s Ripley?” and “I liked that chick from Aliens who was in Ghostbusters and who was bald in Alien 3 even though that film was a bit tragically bad” and “please let me go I won’t tell anyone I promise”.

• Turkey says:

I’m caustically optimistic… with alien blood… it burns through metal.

7. Taidan says:

28 years… ;p

8. Ergates_Antius says:

Believe It Or Not: …
    Clever.

Rizlar says:

Is that a Space Invaders mini-game?

10. Serenegoose says:

I’m gonna hazard a guess at why it’s Ripley’s daughter.

Sega exec: We were thinking you could lead this with a really modern, original, and distinct protagonist – an ex marine, white, stubbly, disgraced after a traumatic incident that resulted in the death of his squad, he’s approached by a weyland-yutani company man and offered a chance to make up for his previous failing.

CA guy #1: Errr….

CA guy #2: Actually, We were thinking a muscle-bound generic movie protagonist like was inflicted on all the other aliens games (except the really old ones on PS1 and megadrive) regardless of series wouldn’t be such a great fit for this game.

Sega exec: Not entirely sure that’ll sell-

CA guy #2: Ellen. Ripley’s. Daughter. She was even mentioned in the film, sort of eventually.

Sega exec: Hrm. OK.

So yeah, before you harp about it being Ripleys daughter and that being a bit silly (and it is, I know) think of the protagonist you -would- be getting if it wasn’t her. Search your feelings. You know it to be true.

11. cunningmunki says:

I can’t see why having Ripley’s daughter is such a stretch. I think it’s quite a clever idea, as long as it’s done right and fits the established mythology. Bringing Ripley back by cloning her, now that’s a stretch.

• bill says:

I’m not too against it either.

But you have to be careful about falling into Star-Wars-Prequels territory with too many coincidences.

• SillyWizard says:

On the other hand, if you mention a gun on the wall in chapter two…

• fish99 says:

Presumably then you can’t die in the game, because we know Ripleys daughter dies aged 60-something on earth. Easy game then. I’m gonna spend the game tickling the alien to infuriate it, knowing that I’m indestructible.

• Serenegoose says:

No no no. That’s not how it happened. Let me start again.

12. torchedEARTH says:

I’m wildly optimistic about this game and intend to buy new hardware to run it at it’s absolute surround sound soul shaking best.

13. Hypnotron says:

I don’t like those hands. I think it’s mostly the thumbs.

14. SenaCScott says:

my co-worker’s step-mother makes $69 an hour on the computer . She has been laid off for nine months but last month her paycheck was $14630 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    have a peek at this website,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

15. CookPassBabtridge says:

I really hope this doesn’t end up with The Curse Of Being Pretty (i.e. wespentallourbudgetontheassetdesigneritis)

16. Golden Pantaloons says:

Way to ignore the (unfortunate) canon of Aliens, which tells us at the very beginning that Ripley’s daughter lived a normal life on earth and died as an old woman, years before Ripley was unfrozen.

• Serenegoose says:

Well, I mean, every single other sentence to come out of that character’s mouth is a lie, which is I imagine what gives them credibility to look past it somewhat.