Make Vroom For World Of Speed

By Craig Pearson on February 10th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

I’ll bet everyone at Slightly Mad Studios gets on well with their dads. Since 2009, they’ve made four car games, and everyone knows dads like cars. It explains my strained relationship with my dad, because I like cats, not cars. Anyway, World Of Speed, is their newly announced fifth car game: it’s a massively multiplayer free-to-play racing game. Apparently it’ll include “everyday city runners to the fastest super cars on the planet to the most iconic cars from throughout the storied history of auto racing”, all racing through the streets of London, San Francisco, and more. I have some screenshots, a trailer, and I also have a quote from the press release, which I’m only sharing because I need to crowd-source a translation.

So help me out. It says this:

World of Speed introduces a new level of connected competition allowing players real-time interactive social gameplay through intense Club and team gameplay, the Airfield social hub, and unique missions and objectives in every race to make every players actions really matter

And I do not know what it means. There’s some specifics there, but nothing else in the press document really explains what those social elements are. It’s a game about cars! Talk about torque and brakes, please. There’s some talk of the game being supported “with live events and player challenges, new gameplay modes, tracks and cars and much more.” Who knows? I just hope they mean you can have lots of fun driving around with friends on the same bit of road, and that don’t mean tweeting and driving, because that is not cool.

The closed beta will be here in the Spring.

, .

1. bit_crusherrr says:

I think games need to stop being called “World Of Something”.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

Oooh, World of Something hasn’t been taken yet!

Joibel says:

I believe “World of candy” and “World of Sagas” are due out in 2015 also.

2. BlackeyeVuk says:

All flash no substance.

Đ:

SuddenSight says:

First of all:
    *player’s

That feels so much better. Then add some parentheses:
    World of Speed introduces a new level of connected competition allowing players real-time interactive social gameplay through intense [Club and team gameplay], [the Airfield social hub], and [unique missions and objectives] in every race to make every player’s actions really matter.

I read this to mean: “Club and team gameplay” is called a friend’s list. “Airfield hub” is either a match browser or possibly an auto-match queue. And “unique missions and objectives” are achievements, or possibly an unlock system.

• iainl says:

I think “Club and Team gameplay” means team races, and possibly silly things like that Cat And Mouse mode from the Project Gotham series (which is really rather fun, admittedly).

I think “Airfield hub” sounds like it could well be like Burnout Paradise’s free-roaming around an area mode between race selections.

And I think “unique missions and objectives in every race” mean leaderboards and/or experience points and/or virtual money bonuses for (possibly inappropriate) drifting, speed traps and so on during races. Which could well also mean “being rewarded for annoying your fellow racers by not breaking for the corners sensibly”, but we’ll see.

Joshua says:

They also made GTR, GT Legends and GTR2 beneath Simbin’s banner. In my personal opinion, they are the best racing game developer out there peroid.

• BlackeyeVuk says:

Fcuk , your finger slipped . Preiod .

• Ephant says:

And so far every game released under Slightly Mad Studios’ banner was meh or shit. Even Project Cars isn’t as good as other racing sims in terms of physics.

• Blaaaaaaag says:

Shift 2 deserves a mention here for being the most god-awfully infuriating and unplayable driving game ever made. I don’t trust these guys much…

• apa says:

Is this one going to be a game or a sim?

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Someone needs to snatch Assetto Corsa’s early access on steam. Yes, most definitely.

I appreciate that some of them worked under Simbin, but they either were the coffee machine repair crew or they simply are not trying to develop a simulator, if Project Cars is any indication.

Note that i more or less like all kind of driving games, but Slightly Mad always made arcade titles and this is precisely the same. Let me keep stressing that this is not an inherent flaw, i’m just pointing out the difference.

5. aldo_14 says:

You can race each other online, using an account based system copied off facebook but with a fancier hub UI that in no way resembles Test Drive Unlimited.

There are also achievements.

6. iainl says:

I -think- it means they played Test Drive: Unlimited and liked the Car Club team stuff where your winning accumulates points for the club and there are optional Team events.

Also, that they’ve been watching coverage of Drive Club on the PS4 where things like the Sponsor Challenges from GRID 2 earn you team points and fill little online leaderboards.

As someone who’s almost tempted to buy a PS4 for Drive Club I’d be really interested. If it’s weren’t Free To Play; it’s really hard to resist the temptation to make such games Pay To Drive The Best Cars.

7. Moraven says:

I want to see World of Destruction Derby or World of Carmageddon. Where you can roam the MMO streets and earn points and in game cash for destroying each other’s vehicles.

8. killingbutterflies says:

I wonder what happens when the cars hit something. A sickening crunch? Or a bouncy boing that break all sense of immersion?

9. TheVGamer says:

The car racing genre has been boiled down to making that perfect shader that’ll make cars look nice and trying to milk the player for all the money they have. Everything else, including “fun” is secondary to those two. And that’s why I no longer give a fudge about the genre.

• fish99 says:

That’s only true for the arcade end of the spectrum. At the other end (sim racing), it’s all about your tyre physics model and getting lazer scanned tracks.

• TheVGamer says:

The problem I have with the sim subgenre is that they all try to do the same thing and I’m pretty sure we got it way back in Gran Turismo 4. The same cars, the same tracks and physics models that can only vary so much – they’re trying to replicate the real feeling of being a racer and that’s just an inherently limited and creatively bankrupt. Why can’t we have a game that does the realistic physics but sets it in a sci fi setting with ridiculous-looking and behaving cars? Gran Turismo 6 scratched that surface with the rover driving on the Moon.

Llewyn says:

I’m pretty sure we got it way back in Gran Turismo 4

No, really, we didn’t. Or in Gran Turismo anything else. Or in Forza, before someone pipes up with that one.

Don’t get me wrong, I’ve enjoyed iterations of GT for 15+ years now, and Forza for over five – that particular style of semi-realistic racers with collectible cars are one of my biggest gaming drugs and, with five console purchases exclusively to play them, probably my most expensive over the years but they are not in any way sims. Or realistic, for that matter.

• fish99 says:

I’m talking more about stuff like iRacing or Assetto Corsa. Gran Turismo and Forza, while not arcade, aren’t exactly sims either, they’re somewhere in between, and yes there’s little innovation in those games beyond the graphics.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Pretty much what the above poster said.

The car racing genre is severely misunderstood. Beneath all the layers of gloss there are some worthy and honest titles that constantly strive for perfection, then again it’s a niche and they’re already pretty difficult with a gamepad, which pretty much rules out the KB+M setup that a lot of PC gamers stubbornly keep trying to use.

There’s also the problem that if you don’t like straight and “pure” simulators, such games have zero appeal at all.

• apa says:

Yeah, there’s a reason why racing cars have a steering wheel instead of twin sticks :D

10. trjp says:

Am I missing something or is this what happened to Project Cars post-dodgy-investment-deal-thingy then?

• Axess Denyd says:

They are still doing Project CARS (which is quite enjoyable, BTW). I’m not really sure what you find “dodgy” about the investment. They were pretty up front about everything.

11. SenaCScott says:

my co-worker’s step-mother makes $69 an hour on the computer . She has been laid off for nine months but last month her paycheck was $14630 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    have a peek at this website,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

12. Axess Denyd says:

Might be good, though can’t tell much about the physics from the video. At least it seems to have some though, unlike what I’ve seen of The Crew.

Why oh why does someone not make a Gran Turismo/Forza competitor for PC? It’s either arcade games with cars that drive like boats or extreme sims with nothing much in between.

• Axess Denyd says:

From: http://worldofspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?11-World-of-Speed-Revealed-at-Amsterdam

In the Circuit Zandvoort VIP lounge we set up eight PCs allowing players to participate in four-on-four team races on either Brand Hatch or our own London circuit. Players had their choice of driving with the keyboard, Xbox 360 controller or Logitech G27 Racing Wheel because Slightly Mad Studios has spent a lot of time tuning World of Speed so its drives really well regardless of whether you’re driving with a wheel, game pad or keyboard.

…that makes me feel less good about the probable driving physics.

Llewyn says:

Built-in modulation of inputs based on control method isn’t necessarily a barrier to a detailed physics model – you can simulate in depth but smooth out inputs from lower resolution controllers, which is basically what the GTs and Forzas do (and have since the PS1 days, though obviously with simpler models). But yes, it’d be foolish to assume that’s what they’re going to do.

And with you 100% on wanting a GT/Forza for PC – that’s a genre I’ll happily throw money at, including DLC and sequels if someone gets it right.

13. rapchee says:

it sounds like the feature list of auto club revolution

14. PopeRatzo says:

it’s a massively multiplayer free-to-play…

You can stop right there. Please stop right there. It is impossible for anything that’s “massively multiplayer free-to-play” to be any good. I wish they would just stop this nonsense.

Every time I see, “massively multiplayer free-to-play” I think of how much money I’m willing to spend on a game that is designed first and foremost as a single-player game (although if they must include some multiplayer to satisfy their paranoia about the possibility there will be someone, somewhere who will play the game without having paid for it, then that’s OK). But I can’t give them all that money as long as their game is F2P.

I don’t want to be thinking about my wallet when I’m playing a game, but I’m willing to open my wallet for a proper AAA single-player-first game (especially an open world racer).

• Keyrock says:

Neverwinter Online is F2P and it’s actually pretty decent and completely playable without spending a red cent and you can still make a very viable character, progress to end game, and run epic dungeons with no problem. What I’m saying is that it can be done.

15. Cloneintle says:

my best friend’s step-sister makes $70 /hr on the internet . She has been without work for 6 months but last month her payment was $15808 just working on the internet for a few hours. website link,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

16. cHeal says:

Play Project Cars regularly, it’s awesome. That is all.