Parts & Labour: Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 Demo

By Alec Meer on February 11th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

A brief history of my car maintenance attempts:

1) Reinserting a loose spark plug cable by hand, then driving 80 miles. This caused one of the engine’s valves to meet its maker with such ferocity that the exhaust partially detached while the vehicle was in motion. Apparently, at least. It could have been a double-whammy of coincidence/ineptitude.
2) Topping up the engine oil but forgetting to replace the cap afterwards. This caused boiling oil to explode out of the bonnet, in the manner of a particular catastrophic World of Goo error.
3) In another car whose exhaust fell off (not actually my fault that time), in order to avoid paying to repair it I carried the broken pipe on the back seat of the car for months, so that I might show it to any police officer who stopped me & my raucously loud vehicle and claim it had only just come off.
4) The same car later suffered a handbrake failure, which I also avoided getting repaired for weeks due to my conviction that I should run this ailing vehicle into the ground rather than prolong its misery. This resulted in getting four strangers to push against the car’s front while I reversed up a hill in Cardiff after I’d unwittingly tried to park on a downward slope, in order to prevent it rolling into a very expensive-looking car just in front of it.

So I should probably play the Car Mechanic Simulator 2014 demo.

I cannot tell you whether any of what is shown is Correct Procedure or not, but a familiar face has taken to YouTube to share his thoughts:

Huh. Well, if he says so. Thought I am a little surprised that Gabe would take time out of his busy day to comment on this trailer. And also that he’s a car mechanic.

The full game is out now, as is the free demo. Grab it either via Steam or as a direct download here.

And here’s a list of things it has:

Interact with car owners seeking repairs
Order parts and materials necessary to maintain inventory including used car parts to help keep consumer costs low.
Purchase repair manuals to enable you to work better, faster and earn more income!
Work on eight different car models including Town Cars, Compacts, Sedans, SUVs, Family Cars, SUVs VANs, and Limousines
Gain experience with over 120 different repairs including brakes, transmission fixes, body shop work, steering and alignment adjustments, chip tuning, diagnostic analysis, test drive pad, OBD scanning, oil changes, fix broken parts and engage in dozens of other tasks.

It’s…. not for me.

, , , , .

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

Best Steam review by far simply states:

“Bolt removal simulator 2014

10/10″

2. Mr. Mister says:

Needs a space level.

• TechnicalBen says:

While the joke is appreciated, the real space level in Surgeon Simulator actually has gameplay elements. I’m not sure this is a simulator or a game… :/

3. B4rberblacksheep says:

Yep thank you Gabe Newell. That’s like saying that you don’t endorse Surgeon Simulator 2013 because it doesn’t take in real practices. Clearly, given the large number of survivors I have, all simulators are accurate representations.

LTK says:

You really couldn’t have picked a more inappropriate comparison than Surgeon Simulator.

• TechnicalBen says:

Is that sarcasm, because I see a little simulation in this game, but not the great gameplay mechanics that Surgeon Simulator has…

So while judging this game on “fun gameplay” would be silly, no one judges Flight Sims that way, judging it on “simulation accuracy” is probably fair.

• Headless Monkey Boy says:

given that i now know your training methods, i’m no longer selling you my kidney regardless of the number of survivors

Philopoemen says:

“Keep consumer costs low”

i look forward to this fantasy game, and it’s magical mythology

• Unclepauly says:

Oh you don’t know how real this is. That is just what is on the face of the product. When you get around half way through the game a shadowy NPC gives you the ole’ how to “keep consumer costs low” (teehee!) It’s all part of the moral game system. You have to execute a pretty hard keyboard combination to keep from laughing in customer faces as you tell them there engine sprocket is deteriorated.(:D)

Tunips says:

I have inexplicably fond memories of Gearhead Garage, and this looks very close to a straight remake.

6. aldo_14 says:

“hit A to rub your chin slowly”
    “hold B to exhale”
    “hit ENTER to respond with a warning of high price”
    (“hit SPACE to scratch arse and get the YTS boy to do it”)

7. staberas says:

Well im waiting for the hilarious “Car Mechanic Simulator 360 no wrench” dubstep video…

8. mangrove says:

Maybe not the best idea to quote a fake Gabe account. Look at his upload history!

9. MrBucket says:

I picked this up and played it through till the end, and actually enjoyed it. A lot of the parts and processes are generalized, but the concepts are accurate. I’ve been on a simulator kick as of late and this is one of the more engaging time sinks I’ve invested in. Seems silly at first, but then you realize hours have passed and there’s a transmission to be swapped out.

Rizlar says:

I read the title as ‘Cat Mechanic’.

Lars Westergren says:

Kitty borked. Halp.

Shit, I’m quoting memes. Enough internet for today.

slerbal says:

Never try to change the oil on a cat. It does not go well… :)

Dingbatwhirr says:

I feel this quote is appropriate here:

“If you try and take a cat apart to see how it works, the first thing you have on your hands is a nonworking cat.”
        -Douglas Adams

Harlander says:

I did this once, and I drove from Weymouth to Stafford with the cap off, all the time thinking, “Hey, where’s that smell of hot oil coming from?” Fortunately, I’d put the filler cap in a place that remained perfectly level throughout the entire drive, and I found it when I opened the bonnet to see what the smell was..

12. BooleanBob says:

As my girlfriend was telling me the other day, Gaben really knows how to take the hidden boast review to the next level.

• Juan Carlo says:

It’s almost a reverse humble brag in his case, though, in that it seems more designed to convey the impression that he’s a normal guy just like us. Everyone already knows he’s the head of one of the most successful video game companies ever that has a near monopoly on PC video game distribution. So all he has left to brag about is being a mechanic, I guess.

• TechnicalBen says:

He is a mechanic too. But he now builds his own cars, and car building tools. He got a 200k CNC machine for his hobby! :O

MajorManiac says:

Cars have boots right? So if something goes wrong I should just need to reboot it.

14. Pkloop says:

This game teaches you how to fix your car about as well as GTA teaches you to drive it.

On a real car, all parts are covered in rust and dirt. Everything that’s supposed to be stuck is loose. Everything that’s supposed to be loose is stuck. Cheap plastic panels that obstruct everything and cracks when you try to remove them. Whenever you carefully order parts by 20-digit part numbers, there’s a 90% chance you get the wrong part but you won’t know until you’ve spent hours trying to remove the 45 other parts that are in the way. The last bolt is always rusted in place and the head snaps if you can finally get to it with anything bigger than a paperclip. And once there, there’s no way to actually move the tool in any meaningful way. Atleast one nut or washer gets stolen by gnomes. And if by some miracle you can actually get the car fixed, you’ll have spent about three times the estimated cost.

• 12inchPlasticToy says:

That looked like an allegory for a season of “24″.

• TechnicalBen says:

… That’s just to get it through he MOT, and a week later the head gasket goes (true story).

15. rcguitarist says:

I work on my cars as a hobby and I have to say that this game would probably be enjoyed by non-mechanics, but would just annoy people who know how to work on cars because of it’s over simplification. Just watching gameplay videos, I saw someone changing out an entire braking system without having to drain the brake fluid, disconnect the hoses and all of the parts that have to be disconnected before the calipers come out. It was just: remove wheel, remove caliper. If only it were that easy in real life!
    Would be nice if this was an actual simulator where people could truly learn to work on cars.

• sinister agent says:

Cheers for that, it sort of answered my question. I know almost literally nothing about cars (mainly because I have zero interest in them), but I thought perhaps a simple game like this might be worth a few quid to dispel a little of my ignorance without boring the crap out of me. Might give it a go sometime.

16. Chubzdoomer says:

I played the demo a couple days ago and one of my favorite moments was discovering a tablet with Street Rod on it in the garage:

You don’t actually get to play Street Rod, sadly, but it’s still a fantastic Easter Egg. We oldschool gamers who tinkered around with Street Rod and Street Rod 2 back in the day will appreciate the tribute the most, I’m sure. :-)

Hypocee says:

I’ve seen a few LPs of this and they were consistently surprised by how much they enjoyed it. Essentially, by reducing all the gameplay to a point-and-click interface instead of shonky quasi-physics it seems to dodge the Uncanny Valley and become a pleasant little series of chilled-out scavenger hunts and neat animations. Most elements look rather pretty for an Inexplicable German Sim too.

• Skiv says:

1) Not German, Polish
      2) Not a “big” company, like the one that produced other “barbage bag simulator” and “toiled washing stick sim 2012″, but by a company named PlayWay S.A. ,and Red Dot Games

Other than that i agree, its pretty fun game, needs improvement, and i hope the next version will be even better

18. P.Funk says:

I played this a little. Its dreadful. At first it seems entertaining then you realize that its a complete waste of time.

You are required periodically to do “test drives” in order to ascertain the wear on parts… which makes no sense since you can do that with the examine option anyway, so the test driving, which is just you driving the same course in a shitty unrealistic physics model, is nothing but a pure time sink, and a very very unengaging one.

There’s no skill in this game. There’s no simulation in this game. I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Goat Simulator will have more depth than this thing.

19. skinflute says:

the real question here is, how is Gaben a mechanic with those sausage fingers?