Hunted By A Freak: Evolve Baits Us With A Trailer

By Alec Meer on February 11th, 2014 at 3:30 pm.

Words about Evolve, Turtle Rock’s forthcoming 4v1 co-op beast hunting game, are no good for you, eh? You animal. You monster. Well, have a carefully-edited and highly-stylised promotional video instead. A proper one though, not like yesterday’s nonsense.

That’s quite a good trailer, pre-rendered or no. It does actually contain quite a few smaller elements from the game – the role of minor wildlife, some of the gadgets, the hunters trying not to let the monster know where they’re approaching from – but the flow’s all different. The Hunters were, in my experience, frantically on the run all the time rather than creeping about nervously. And also everyone’s talking to each other all the time, or at least they should be. PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH, TURTLE ROCK MARKETING MATERIALS PEOPLE.

There you go, anyway. I’m really rather looking forwards to finding out what the new monster types are.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

One thing I liked about L4D was that it was clear what your motivation was – survive and get to the end. It’s not obvious from this why they’re jumping down to an alien planet and shooting at stuff from the trailer here (the guy goes “shh” then they blow up a tree?). I mean, it’s a multiplayer FPS, so I guess we don’t need a reason to kill things, it was just kinda nice to have the setting and chatter of the characters in L4D adding to the feel of the thing.

• tobecooper says:

They hunters. They hunt.

I know this, because of The Beards.

Gap Gen says:

Ah, so they make duck lures and then fall from grace because it turns out they’re homophobes.

• Rovac says:

I don’t think the turtlerock guys can pull something as good as L4D/L4D2’s chatter, background, charm, etc. It’s a Valve thing (and probably Blizzard too).

One of the things that I really enjoyed in Dota2 is the chatter, Axe is probably my favorite. Another favorite is Dragonus, the Skywrath Mage. It’s one of the main reason I played him despite the protest of other players

Gap Gen says:

Yes, it’s clear the production values Valve added to Portal compared to Quantum Conundrum, say. Not that the latter is a bad game, but it’s no Portal.

• Ergates_Antius says:

They go “Shhh” and blow up the tree because they hear something up there and think it’s the big monster. Turns out it’s a monkey (or whatever).

• Pazguato says:

I didn’t understand it either. Bad narrative. Generic art.

2. mehteh says:

Looks interesting, but not expecting much coming from a console publisher like 2K

3. Lobotomist says:

Shame its so focused on co-op. And i know it will be horrible with pick up groups.
    But the idea is damn fine.
    Looking forward to this :)

• Ergates_Antius says:

You keep saying that as if the only 2 alternatives are 1) an established group of friends all agreeing to play the game together at the same time [which is hard to arrange] and 2) playing with a group of complete strangers picked at random by the gods of fate.

Why not join an online community dedicated to the game and play with them. For instance, I’m pretty sure there will be an RPS group set up to this end. You might not know the people to start with, but you’ll come to know them, they won’t be total randoms and you’ll probably be able to get a good game most evenings.

• Xocrates says:

For most people those 2 options are the only real options.

Joining, and participating, in a community dedicated to the game requires a level of commitment to the game most people do not have.
        In general, people play games when they feel like it. It simply isn’t reasonable to expect for me to join a community for every game I play and keep active there just in case I feel like playing a game (which I will then need to arrange instead of just jumping in).

Don’t get me wrong, there is value in joining a community to get gaming buddies (90% of my L4D2 partners were from the Introversion forums, for instances), but joining a community everytime there is a game you want to play is silly.

• hotmaildidntwork says:

I imagine that’s why most people that join such communities aren’t active in them. They just hop into each other’s games when they feel like playing, resulting in them gradually getting to become more familiar with people. The ideal is a community large enough so that some people are usually playing, but small enough that the same names will come up again and again.

• Ergates_Antius says:

You don’t need to do it for most multiplayer games – just the small group co-op ones really.

• SillyWizard says:

Also it’s amazing that he knows pick-up games will be filled with awful people, when in my experience with L4D and L4D2, it’s much more rare to find a troll in a group of strangers than it is to find the sort of people who are interested enough to play a cooperative online game that they’ll buy it: people more interested in cooperating than ruining everyone else’s fun.

• hewhosayszonk says:

I do really have to agree that pick up groups in L4D were usually good. I met two of my current gaming circle through L4D pick up groups, and I’m going to a music festival with one of them next month.

Talking of music, ‘hunted by a freak’, Mogwai, a title working on multiple levels – nice!

4. Tanky says:

The general idea from what i have seen is that the 4 monsters are there to protect a base with white coat wearing monsters in, from getting eating by the under nourished endangered species. There is actually a couple more videos on the tube(ign channel) that show in game footage and has a little commentary.

Rather looking forward to this one.

5. LunyAlex says:

Unfortunately the trailer is considerably less appealing (to me, and others I’ve talked to) than the actual gameplay footage they’ve released.

The footage really really got me hooked though.
    I hope it’s okay to link this.

6. spaced says:

More Mogwai references please.

7. Warduke says:

Are all the monsters AI controlled?

Edit: I see from the above youtube link that they are not, cool

8. Radiant says:

An FPS monster hunter?

9. Viroso says:

Who’s singing that cover?

• kwyjibo says:

I also want to know this. Soundhound comes up empty.

Edit – Google tells me it’s by “Lissie”, and the track is coming out in a week.

10. tomek says:

DANZIG!

Wouldve been better :/

puppybeard says:

I second this motion.

I thought we’d outgrown breathy covers of 80s classics oooh five years ago.
      Although I don’t think I’d prefer if they “dropped the bass” when the monster appears either, so it could be worse.

11. Godwhacker says:

Token girl gets fairy wings and the ‘healing’ role. Try harder please guys, this is embarassing.

• surftuft says:

Plus she’s a sniper because girls are squeamish and can’t fight up close.

• iainl says:

Mind you, I find her easier to identify with than the fat beard-wrangling blokes.

• aterriblesomething says:

right? why can’t we have a little willowy dude medic and hulking behemoth lady-tank? or anything other than really well-run-down character cliches.

i am glad to see the grizzled prospector set represented, though.

12. ucfalumknight says:

The video kind of reminded me of the Predator Reboot. With the jumping from spaceships and hunting bits.

13. strange_headache says:

Needs a day one Jesse Ventura DLC.

14. Artist says:

I already can see a whole round collapse because on char is dead and the others cant turn the tide!? Im curious how they will balance this.

puppybeard says:

They don’t seem to be the wiliest hunters…

16. PopeRatzo says:

4v1 co-op

No, no, no and absolutely not.

Please, game developers, don’t require me to find three other people to buy your game just in order to play it. I don’t care if you want to add some co-op missions to an existing game, but don’t make that the starting point if you want any part of the considerable amount of money that Is spend on games.

If the first line of the description of a game has the words “co-op” or “multiplayer” then I’m just tuning you out. I understand that this is your way to fight piracy, but there must be other people like me who just want to be able to play a game without having to find 3 other people who are available at that moment who own the game and feel like playing your title.

And for god’s sake, charge me for the game. I’ve got the money to spend and it gives me great pleasure to reward talented game devs. I don’t want anything for “free” and microtransactions will make me hate you.

• Stephen Roberts says:

I’m totally with you on hatin’ Free to Play. I don’t want to write an essay on why because I don’t have the time!

It hasn’t helped that Monthly subs to games that need consistent income to continue running (say, MMOs) are too high to happily have more than one running at a time. Except F2P is expensive, so I’m really not sure why there’s an allure to spend in F2P but not in monthly subs… I think it’s about being able to pick and choose. Perhaps if non-free to play games went with a subscription model but it only counts down while you are playing it would be better. Although the psychology of that would lead to players not relaxing online, not exploring and so on. It’s a tricky world!

• Amun says:

I don’t think we should throw out an entire category of games because you don’t want to play them. L4D was amazing fun.

However I agree with you that making a game that doesn’t have any ability to accommodate the single gamer is pretty lousy (ie, having no play with AI options, or making it impossible to succeed with random partners).

• Ergates_Antius says:

Please, game developers, don’t listen to this person. 4 player co-op games are top banana. There are plenty of singleplayer games being released for them to play.

17. Darth Grabass says:

But everyone is going to want to play the medic, and you won’t be able to find anyone online who wants to play the monster.

• iainl says:

I don’t know about that latter part – everyone on here complaining about having to find three friends so they don’t need to play co-op with strangers would probably want to go on the Solo side, then.

18. Lemming says:

I said as much over at Eurogamer, but I really like the look of this as they’ve taken the essence of the film Predator and made a game out of it. I’m looking forward to it.

• Amun says:

You know what would be just like the Predator movie turned into a game?

A Predator game (provided it doesn’t suck ass).

19. RagingLion says:

Just to say the lead screenshot attracted me unlike every other one posted today with a story…

…And for my personal taste ‘Hunted by a Freak’ by Mogwai is my favourite ever track.

20. Protoplasmic says:

I love that song. The original was used to great effect during the end credits of FEAR 3.

21. Stevostin says:

Valve (or Gearbox…) knows how to make a good trailer. Turtle Rock doesn’t. Lack of rythm, poor audio tack, poor narrative.

22. kikito says:

I don’t really understand this. Those guys were assholes. Poor monkey thing. After watching the trailer, I really wish the big guy mopes the floor with them.

Are you supposed to be the bad guy, or what?

23. Wurstwaffel says:

From what I’ve seen of this game it seems to be taking quite some cues from Giants: Citizen Kabuto, which is pretty awesome if you ask me.

24. solidgriever says:

why do i think of Ghostbusters now?