Zomb-B-Gone: The Undead Removed From Rust

By Craig Pearson on February 11th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

An artist's impression.

Early Access is one of the more interesting tropes of game modern development. So many games are being field assembled right in front of us that future generations will never know the joy of buying game with a beginning, a middle, and an end. They can expect to own games where major features are as changeable as the colour of their jetpack flames. Everything will be in flux. Rust, Facepunch’s really rather popular game of community base-building and flapping willies, has just had the NPC zombies removed from every server. Update your glossaries.

The role of the zombies were mostly as a loot delivery system: they were easily killed with a bow and arrow, and barely presented any risk to a careful player, but they were still a major part of the world, and removing the resources they delivered and the small amount of challenge they presented is going to result in some careful balancing. It has always been the plan to yoink them, and Facepunch decided it needed to be done ASAP.

Yep. We did it. We decided we couldn’t hold off any longer. The longer we keep zombies in – the more complaints we’d get about removing them. We are forcing ourselves to deal with it. We are no longer a zombie survival game! They’ve been replaced with red bears and wolves. You hate them. We know. They’re just plugging a gap for now. All will be revvvealed.

It didn’t feel like they mattered in the world. Not in the way the wildlife provided food, nor in the way the people on the server exist to create a compelling reason for uninstalling the game. They just sort of hung around, and now they’re gone. I won’t miss them.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MrNash says:

Interesting. Zombies were the thing keeping me from wanting to try this game because it just got me thinking, “Another game with zombies in it? *sigh* ” Now with them getting the heave ho I actually wouldn’t mind taking Rust for a spin. =)

• EveryoneIsWrong says:

It is very sad to see their double-pander-switch is working for them.

Though I do like the game and am happy for their success in general. I’m just against their obvious pandering move to re-move the zombies.

• Grygus says:

Since removing the zombies was always the plan, and since they’ve been open about that from the start, how is removing them “pandering?”

• EveryoneIsWrong says:

Because, according to the rust website, it WASN’T always the plan.

“Rust started out as a DayZ clone. We liked the idea of DayZ but we got very frustrated when trying to play it.”
          “Around this time we came to the conclusion that we were sick of zombies, and after taking a look at the game decided that we didn’t even need them. There are already enough ways to die. So we removed them.”

They make it very clear removing the zombies was a design decision that came later in development, not the plan from the start.

• Sc0r says:

now its crafting MP5s from nothing to fight against deers and other players. wow.

• neonordnance says:

To craft an MP5, you either need to delve into extremely dangerous radioactive zones which can kill you if you stay there too long and also attract the most powerful players. Once you’re there, you need to open crates and hope you get lucky and get either a complete gun or a blueprint. According to Steam, I’ve played 28 hours, and I’ve only found an intact MP5 once.

But even if you find a complete gun, you can’t craft it unless you find the blueprint to make it, which is even rarer than the gun itself. The only default craftable guns are improvised-looking and nowhere near as effective as what you might find in the wild. You might also be lucky enough to find a research kit and some paper, and by combining the two with an intact MP5 at a workbench, you will be able to craft the blueprint.

And even once you learn the blueprint, you’re going to need to craft something like 12 Low Quality Metal to craft it, which will take mining a dozen or more rocks for ore, finding or crafting a furnace and getting some wood to smelt metal ore into metal fragments, and then crafting the Low Quality Metal from the fragments.

Also, the gun itself is useless without large amounts of 9mm ammo, and though you start with the recipe to craft it, it also requires large amounts of mining to make in any serious amount.

So while you’re going through all of this hassle to get one of the best guns in the game, you’re going to be wandering all around extremely dangerous areas, and the chances of you running into other players is extremely high. Many will be naked, and though most naked men are friendly, some will try to bash you to death with their rock once they realize you have better kit than they do. And if you happen to run into someone who has progressed further, chances are they will be able to shoot you from a distance if you don’t run the hell away.

Rust is still a work-in-progress, but it’s already a beautiful and well-designed game and I simply won’t abide by ignorant people poo-pooing it. You don’t have to like it, but at least watch a recent Let’s Play.

• EveryoneIsWrong says:

Please don’t act like the environment in this game is AT ALL dangerous. I have never once come close to dying to the environment in over 50 hours of play. Other players, sure, but NEVER the environment.

Also.. did they change how learning to craft items works? Because I could learn to make anything I found. I also found way way too many blueprints.

2. yobokkie says:

Yay! Seriously the number of zombie survival/day-z clones has gotten ridiculous and this looked so good but I didn’t want to try it because what I really want is just a straight survival sim. All the bandits and looting elements without the lame zombies to chase you.

• azrd79 says:

Zombies don’t matter much in DayZ at the moment either.

• HadToLogin says:

But aren’t they coming back? Called mutants. Or ghouls. Or aliens. Or “humans liking other sports team than you aka hooligans”. Or whatever.

3. SkittleDiddler says:

Now if they could also get rid of all the hackers, this might turn out to be a potential purchase for me.

• P4p3Rc1iP says:

From reading the forum and watching certain Youtube streams you’d think half of all Rust players are hackers.

In reality, I’ve only ever seen one, on a high traffic 200+ player server. My “regular” server has never had any hacker on it that I’ve seen.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I gather the key is finding a good moderated server and sticking with it. I’m a bit of a chronic server jumper, so that’s an issue for me.

4. Janichsan says:

So, instead of a “massively multiplayer online bastard simulator with zombies” it’s just a “massively multiplayer online bastard simulator” now?

• MajorManiac says:

I think the genre should be called S&MMMO

• keithzg says:

I like it! Although, too many M’s in a row to be catchy, I think. Considering it’s on discrete, limited-playercount servers rather than a single massive shared world, however, I think calling it “massive” is a misnomer, so luckily we can cut it down to just S&MMO.

• The Random One says:

No, the more M’s the merrier. Just ask the Crash Test Dummies.

I agree though that this is not “massively” multiplayer, but 200 a server is still above the average. So I propose we call it mildly massively multiplayer, or S&MMMMO.

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

Yea, pretty much this. I was mildly interested in trying this game out. But after poking around the Steam message boards I’ve come to the conclusion that this game is actually a psychological study on how much of an asshole you can be to your fellow gamer.

• fish99 says:

I dunno, as much as the idea of KOS puts me off these sort of games, I’d also have to wonder how much game would be left if you took out PVP.

5. Tom De Roeck says:

it also made the game very buggy at the moment. I suggest waiting another update.

If you do buy it, join us RPSers on the official server. Just check the forums for why, or click this link:

6. Awesumo says:

Not more wolves /cry They chase you for miles and there is nothing you can do about it as a naked caveman.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

And in the game.

• EveryoneIsWrong says:

You can just sprint away from any enemy in this game. There is no excuse for dying to anything other than another player as the environment is almost 100% safe.

7. El_MUERkO says:

As a fan of Sa Matra’s Wasteland I approve of this change and am now far more interested in Rust.

8. The Random One says:

One word: dinosaurs.

Two words: cyborg dinosaurs.

9. DickSocrates says:

I bet they replace them with functionally similar “definitely not zombies”. The game is called rust, so they replace them with robots.