Bromantic: Devolver To Publish Broforce

By Adam Smith on February 12th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Broforce is the smartest game with the dumbest name. Eighties action movies are the thematic springboard from which it leaps through the air – in slow-motion, away from an exploding nuclear power station, with a knife between its teeth – but its design is as retro as a 3d printed sculpture of the future. The blocky graphics might suggest otherwise but developers Free Lives have taken the run ‘n’ gun basics of Contra and spliced them with the full force of modern trends and techniques. Along with a gloriously effective arsenal, Broforce contains fully destructible scenery, variable attack patterns, exquisite particle effects and a dash of Spelunky-like compulsion. It’s heading to Steam Early Access this March under the guidance of publisher Devolver and if that news doesn’t make your mullet stand on end, you clearly haven’t played the free Brototype. Do so immediately.

Did he say ‘coconuts’ or ‘broconuts’? Perplexing.

I mentioned ‘the full force of modern trends and techniques’ earlier, which probably led you to believe that Broforce is a procedurally generated multiplayer survival roguelike that is responsible for 4% of Youtube’s entire library. There is multiplayer but it’s entirely optional, pitting the likes of Rambro against Brobocop in several competitive modes. The full game, due sometime during Summer like all the best action blockbusters, will contain a level editor.

It’s daft, funny and extraordinarily well-crafted. The demo was one of last year’s most pleasant surprises and I’ll listen to Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Total Body Workout on repeat until next Christmas if the full game isn’t as splendid as I expect it to be. And I expect it to be very splendid indeed.

__________________

« | »

, , , , .

1. GPTurismo says:

I absolutely enjoy this game. I usually never sink more than 20 minutes into it at a time but it’s a great and fun way just to have a good laugh and blow things up.

2. ZIGS says:

Riddick is a pretty badass character, they should put him in the game

Brodick. There, I’ve said it

3. DrScuttles says:

How had I made it this long without discovering Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Total Body Workout?

4. FriendlyFire says:

I noticed that the video is a reupload from a random site, but there’s also the original video from Devolver here:

5. jonahcutter says:

A ridiculously fun game. You fight The Devil. For America! And you blow up entire levels to do it.

There’s actually a fair amount of tactics in the gameplay too, depending upon which bro you are using. Though some of their abilities are a bit of a stretch for their personas, they’re all pretty varied and fun to play. Some for effectiveness and some more for the absurd spectacle.

6. Darth Gangrel says:

I ate bro-ccoli for dinner and now there’s this. What a strange coincidence.

7. edwardh says:

Hm… seems a bit ironic considering the core message of Hotline Miami…

8. mhalemary says:

my best friend’s step-mother makes $71 /hour on the laptop . She has been without work for nine months but last month her pay check was $17837 just working on the laptop for a few hours. why not try here

9. squareking says:

I like the Metal Slug-y tank at the end.

10. MonicaDWolford says:

my roomate’s step-mother makes $64 every hour on the computer . She has been unemployed for five months but last month her pay was $21194 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    check my source,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

11. Jackablade says:

Is the video showing up in a 10mm across window for anyone else?

12. KlumsyK says:

Didn’t you mean “DEFT”, bro?

Comment on this story