Smartitecture: NaissanceE Release Trailer

By Craig Pearson on February 12th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Staring... thing?
Jim is not here to talk intelligently and make big wordthinks about the style and architecture of NaissanceE, which is about 90% of of the game. So instead you get a headline with a made-up word in it that I thought up on the toilet*. What can I say? It’s pretty and grey, and the endless and unchanging corridors will probably make me feel physically ill, because it reminds me of my fever dreams. Loves it.

NaissanceE is a place where the player contemplates the loneliness of the universe. You’ll explore the world, ponder the incomprehensible nature of the creatures you meet: are they machines, or are they an unknowable and new form of life? Who knows. Not me, because I will be running and hiding. Also, there will be jumping puzzles. Because games. So watch and perhaps ponder this trailer, and if you are a smart person then you’re more than welcome to contemplate. But if you meditate on it, you’ve gone too far, and you should take the next exit out of that reality. And whatever you do, don’t head towards the light.

So it’s a release trailer, is it? And when’s it out? It’s out on Steam on Friday February 13th.

*Truth.

, .

1. BoZo says:

Reminds me of Blame!.

2. The Dark One says:

Thanks to the miracle of modern computing, Craig could have even written this article and uploaded it through WordPress on the toilet.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

So are we saying this column is a little bit crap?

3. trout says:

i love how clean the design is, i’ve always got time for exploring nebulous and unfathomable architecture in games – slightly worried about the panting/running sounds tho, as they could become tedious over the course of the game (see amnesia: dark descent) – perhaps they’ve only been added into the trailer to make it more exciting however

4. Smi says:

Lovely to see Pauline Oliveros’ name on something – I discovered his wonderful ambient music years ago by chance. This is a lovely track, if you’ve got a moment: http://www.epitonic.com/#/artists/pauline-oliveros-stuart-dempster-and-panaiotis/

5. SuicideKing says:

Friday the 13th? Of which month?

6. vivlo says:

(mostly) Black and white me interested

7. Talesdreamer says:

Seems like Antichamber + House of Leaves.
    I’m cool with it.

8. King in Winter says:

Incidentally, how is that pronounced? Like renaissance, but without the re-part? Or maybe as ‘birth’, as per the root word of renaissance?

yhancik says:

Naissance (as birth indeed) would be like Renaissance without the Re, that’s right. Now I don’t know about the additional “E” at the end :p Is it like the letter “E” by itself, is it something else. RPS needs to ask that in an interview!

9. Flavorfish says:

Reminds me a lot of the gorgeous visual style of Kairo, which RockPaperShotgun covered last year.

Soundtrack sounds incredible.

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

Very appealing visual style – I hadn’t made the Kairo connection, but there’s a similar degree of abstraction (noticeable but not overwhelming), for sure.

The music alone would be enough to get me to play anything, I think.

10. Swain says:

Sweet, it’s almost here. A cool, potential example of what I term “Abstract Encounters” – game systems encouraging philosophical exploration and diffuse metaphysical contemplation from oblique theoretical angles of approach.. kinda ;-)

11. Zyrxil says:

It’s just…out? These guys need to learn some indie marketing. Seems like a year ago there was an announcement trailer, and then nothing until now.

12. Felixader says:

Oh my Effing Mind! This is reeeealy strange since for the last week i have tried to remember the name of the game that looks like BLAME! Thank you very much. ^-^