Project CARS Projects New Trailer, 2014 Release Date

By Graham Smith on February 13th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

The latest trailer for Project CARS requires all the world’s air quotes while talking about: it’s the “first” trailer “introducing” Project CARS, because it’s “official”. Unlike all the other videos showing the game, which were community-made – just like this one, it seems – but without the seal of approval.

The video, and a recent batch of screensehots, are also “beautiful”, “oh geez look at those water droplets” and “bums now I need to upgrade my PC”. Does anyone really know how air quotes “work”?

Project CARS is made by Slightly Mad Studios, the company responsible for the very excellent Need for Speed: Shift. It’s also crowdfunded, though not via the usual portals like Kickstarter. Instead, it uses its own system, the WMD Portal, in which backers gain some level of equity in the project and should “get money back when the game is released”. It all sounds, well, slightly mad.

It also looks beautiful, and has done since at least 2011. Duncan has already done the hard work of looking inside Project CARS engine to discover how it works, and why the latest images from January 20th are as pretty as they are. Click through that link for larger versions, but:

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. mehteh says:

Looking forward to this. Would be awesome if they added Rally racing

• Axess Denyd says:

They were going to have rally originally, but it branched off into a separate game. Disappointing, but probably ultimately wise.

pRally should be mega fun.

• riverman says:

I must be some kind of idiot, because I cant find any info on pRally

2. Keyrock says:

I”m pr’ob`ably “not doing’ `this” right “,” am I?`’

3. Keyrock says:

Water Bead and Reflection Tech Demo: The Racing Game

4. SanguineAngel says:

I whispered the name “Project CARS” into my computer’s intake fan and it exploded, the mere suggestion of the game causing a chain reaction of panic and fire that began with my trembling 5870. From the corner of my eye I could have sworn I saw that self same 5870 slipping into the crowded street below but that is madness because I saw the computer explode with my own two eyes.

Cinek says:

Can’t wait.

This thing is flippin beautiful. That + Oculus Rift + my steering wheel… 2014 will probably be the best year from gaming perspective I ever had – even more so with Star Citizen coming out to beta, and Pillars of Eternity getting release in winter… gash… so many awesome things to wait for!

6. cHeal says:

I’m running the game pretty competently with a Q6700 processor from 2007, GTX260 from 2009 and 4gigs of ram. Don’t get the lovely you see in the pictures but it’s still damn good looking.

Also, yes this is a community trailer (not official), just like all the rest but it was sort of, kinda commissioned for the launch of the youtube channel.

7. Jason Moyer says:

Looks great, but having early access to Assetto Corsa has largely diminished the desire I had for this. Still, I love Simbin/Blimey/SlightlyMad/whatever-their-letterhead-says-this-week, so I’ll snap it up.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Yeah, I enjoyed Assetto Corsa so much that I actually upgraded my crappy Thrustmaster wheel/pedals to a Logitech G27. I’ve got over 50 hours logged with no sign of slowing down. I’m still going to take a good hard look at Project CARS, but the physics in AC are so deep in the sweet spot that I’m not sure I’ll be able to make the transition to anything lesser.

8. SuicideKing says:

Ah, so one other person i know who thought Shift was a good game. I liked that it was:

1. Barely arcadey
    2. Optimised for the PC
    3. Mostly fun

Didn’t like:
    1. Whatever arcade elements they left (YOU HAVE SKILLZ AND POINTS)
    2. That narrator coach dude and those cutscenes
    3. Some race types seemed very hard to complete without a steering wheel/reducing difficulty.

Am i looking forward to Project Cars? Yup.

• Jason Moyer says:

I’ve been racing more sims and simlike stuff with a gamepad (it’s just not usually worth digging my G25 out unless I’m racing online) and while I really like Shift 2 and Ferrari Racing Legends, there’s something really weird about the way it filters gamepad inputs. In most sims, in order to get the required accuracy while having relatively linear steering, I press forward on the left stick and sort of rotate it left/right to mimic a steering wheel. If I do this in Slightly Mad’s titles, it applies some crazy acceleration to the left/right axis that’s only there if I press forward on the left stick, even though that axis isn’t assigned to anything and shouldn’t be impacting anything.

• Axess Denyd says:

I liked Shift 2 as well, but I never could get it to feel right with a wheel.

Never ran into that gamepad issue because I do not use a gamepad that way.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Shift had fun driving dynamics and a ton of cool cars, but I’d strongly disagree that it was well optimized for the PC. The interface is absolutely, positively, without a doubt, the WORST I’ve experienced in any major game release. Maybe that has nothing to do with the port, but it feels like the kind of consolitis we used to see in the early 2000’s.

9. azrd79 says:

This thing runs on a WiiU?

10. PopeRatzo says:

Just going around on tracks?

Can you reach into that bag and pull out an open world non-sim racer for me? I see dozens of race-car-on-tracks games on Steam, but there’s only a good real-universe arcade racer ever few years. I don’t want to wait until 2016 for the next almost-Burnout Paradise.

• Enough. says:

NFS MW looks like it might fit the bill. Not on Steam, though.

11. kael13 says:

I do like! Plus, the sound design seems rather swish and that’s 9/10ths of a car game.

12. Shadowcat says:

PassengerCam is one of the weirder developments I’ve seen. A second person perspective driving sim?

13. rpsKman says:

Where’s the date?

14. LordDamien says:

I think I’m the only one that is hyped because this is coming for Steam OS, which in my dictionary means Linux.