Sesame Street Wins The Flappy Bird Clone Game

By John Walker on February 13th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

If you ever want to be bored far beyond death, just ask me why I love Sesame Street. I will then begin a damp-eyed monologue about the love and passion that went in, and still goes in, to create something genuinely altruistic, and utterly beautiful. I will perform entire classic Bert & Ernie sketches, looking at you expectantly when you are required to laugh, and then my throat will catch when I express my enormous regret that I can never meet and talk to Jim Henson. Added to my oh-so long list of reasons for loving Sesame Street is Flappy Bert.

I’ve taken little interest in the Flappy Bird brouhaha, other than to object to the utter nonsense that it’s possible to “steal” drawings of green pipes. Images of Nintendo employees searching their offices in desperation, rummaging behind desks and crying out, “Someone’s stolen Mario’s pipes! We can’t make any more Mario games!” tend to lead me toward thinking, “If only – maybe they’d then create a new character this millennium.”

But I’m adoring this trend post FB’s removal from the iOS store for people to create tribute clones. Yesterday we mentioned Cavanagh’s Maverick Bird, and that was joined by the very short-lived FlapMMO (now vanished from the internet, Twitter account suspended – a story there methinks), and also a Fall Out Boy licensed release, Fall Out Bird. Okay, it’s not all good.

But push all that aside, because the wonders at the Sesame Workshop have put together another near direct clone, Flappy Bert. Yes indeed, in the 45-year tradition of spoofing current trends, this is Bert, carried by one of his pet pigeons, trying to fly between pyjama-coloured pipes.

And don’t think that because this is made by a company aimed at pre-schoolers that it’s going to be any easier – it’s nightmarishly difficult. Designed to work with either a mouse or a touchscreen, this is every bit as infuriating as I’m assured Flappy Birds once was. Except this is fifty million times better because clearing a pipe is awarded with a Bert laugh, and failure elicits a cry of “Ernie!”

Now can we have a candy-based match-3 where Cookie and Abby Cadabby race to stuff sweets in their mouths?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Amun says:

Oooh boy I get to post a link to my favorite thing ever:

2. Spacewalk says:

Heeeeere Flappy, Flappy, Flappy.

3. Didero says:

Sesame Street!
    I think I like it more as a (supposed) adult than I did as a kid.
    It’s one of the few shows that isn’t worse in Dutch than in English.

That reminds me, I should find a cassette player for these Bert & Ernie tapes…

4. The Random One says:

I also think it’s impossible to steal a drawing, but try convincing the museum’s security guards of that.

5. KDR_11k says:

I still prefer Cavanagh’s version.

6. Milky1985 says:

” Images of Nintendo employees searching their offices in desperation, rummaging behind desks and crying out, “Someone’s stolen Mario’s pipes! We can’t make any more Mario games!” tend to lead me toward thinking, “If only – maybe they’d then create a new character this millennium.””

Ravio, Hilda, Yuga, Chrom (and the rest of the new fire emblem cast), rosalina plus a load of others.

So yeah, quite a few new characters have been made this millennium already, sorry that facts put a downer on your anti-nintendo sentiments :P

But good on the makers of this, at least they are having fun with the cloning here, at least this one might survive with a few eyes on it after the gold rush of clones ends.

Or King.com make there own version and start throwing out more trademark and copyright takedowns anyway.

• ulix says:

Let’s not forget the characters from entirely new franchises Nintendo made this millenium, some of them quite successful. Although many of them sadly never made it out of Japan.

All those adorable little chaps in Animal Crossing, Captain Olimar (Pikmin), Mallo (Pushmo), Tempo (HarmoKnight), Pockle (Giftpia), Captain Rainbow…

7. Rao Dao Zao says:

Personally, I like Flappy Doge: http://www.dogetek.co/game/

Because Doge, not because I can even get past the first pipe.

8. Moraven says:

I got a 4 and called it.

9. MajorManiac says:

One of the great things about being a parent is introducing you kids to Sesame Street.

Loads of great stuff on YouTube, and the Sesame Street website seems to have a never ending supply of games to play.

10. edwardoka says:

In the history of words, never has so much been said about so little. Ho hum.

11. P-Dazzle says:

And they are not being sued for using a similar name? Doesn’t make sense …

• corinoco says:

If my memory serves me correctly, Sesame Street IP is now owned by Disney. Try and sue Disney, go on just try. I’ll stand over here and watch, and laugh.

• Phasma Felis says:

Sued by who? The guy who just took his own extremely lucrative game down from the app store because he’s sick of talking, hearing, or thinking about it? Yes, I’m sure he’s just raring to go for a lengthy, argumentative court case.

12. richardvfrank says:

my buddy’s step-aunt makes $82/hr on the computer. She has been out of work for 10 months but last month her paycheck was $18010 just working on the computer for a few hours. read this….

13. gummybearsliveonthemoon says:

I think it’s gone. That page only loads color bars.

14. Tomatoboxer says:

“I’ve taken little interest in the Flappy Bird brouhaha, other than to object to the utter nonsense that it’s possible to “steal” drawings of green pipes.”
    God, John, can we not have just this one happy post without you finding some tangentially related issue to yell about? Just talk about Sesame Street!

15. JanusForbeare says:

John: Not sure if you check the comments on older articles, but if you do, Sesame Street Fighter might be right up your alley (http://flavourmachine.com/sesamefighter/).

Comment on this story