Pretty Sneaky, Styx – Styx: Master of Shadows’ First Trailer

By Nathan Grayson on February 14th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Fact: most goblins, at least on some level, wish they were Spider-Man.

Hey everyone, it’s Styx! You remember Styx, don’t you? You know, from the party that one time? And when he found your lost cat, nursed it back to health, replaced its missing foot with a tinker toy, and returned it to you safe and sound? Oh wait, no, I’m thinking of someone else. This guy. Styx: Master of Shadows, you’ll remember, is a stealth-heavy RPG about a thieving goblin who was conceived while his parents listened to “Come Sail Away” on repeat or something. On one hand, a stealth role-player with a focus on vertical level design sounds interesting, but on the other, the last time Cyanide dabbled in stealth was in Of Orcs And Men’s abysmal sneaking sections. But hey, at least Styx’s first trailer looks pretty solid.

So there’s your brief glimpse of the duct-and-dagger-packed adventure. I like how the camera seems to emphasize and utilize Styx’s small stature, which could make for some interesting gameplay dynamics. But, at the same time, a lot of this trailer is very cinematic in nature, so there’s no telling how well sneaking and stealing actually work in practice.

As ever with Cyanide productions, I plan to keep a cautious eye on this one. The studio’s got ambition oozing from its pointy earholes and a modicum of talent to boot, but it just hasn’t succeeded at putting those pieces together yet. They are, one might say, renegades, but as of yet they don’t quite have it made. It seems like they’re getting closer with each effort, though, so here’s hoping for the best from Styx.

It’ll be out later this year. Who’s considering giving it a go?

__________________

« | »

, .

1. Abendlaender says:

Cyanide ALWAYS puts out games that are kinda interesting but also never that great or fun to play. So….let’s just say I’m not gonna preorder this.

Also: Domo Arigato, Mr. Roboto.

2. ran93r says:

Yeah, won’t be rushing to buy but the premise sounds good.
    Nothing much of worth to see in the video though.

3. Lars Westergren says:

> Who’s considering giving it a go?

I’m certainly considering it, I liked the trailer. But I think I’ll wait for a review or two first. I like Cyanide, but even their better games feel to me like they lack a layer of polish to make them great.

4. Orageon says:

Indeed, Cyanide often have interesting concepts but an average or mediocre execution somehow. It is hard to know in advance what you’ll get, so I’ll keep an eye open and hope they will polish it nicely. Still, I’ve had my loads of fun on Bloodbowl, so yeah they can also deliver great experiences. Go cyanide, give us something great !

5. AbigailBuccaneer says:

I’ll probably give it a go if Thifourf turns out to be as naff as everybody’s scared it will be.

• SillyWizard says:

I can never remember if “naff” is supposed to be “good” or “bad.” Judging from your comment, it’s the latter. (Also, wtf is “twee?!”)

Remember, there are non-UKers reading this!

6. Nevard says:

I’m not so much considering giving it a go as considering waiting for you to tell me whether it’s worth giving it a go

7. MikeStarkweather says:

There’s a 25 minute developer gameplay video on the tubes. Looks a little bare bones at the moment, but it seems to play like a mix of oldschool Hitman and Thief. Could be half decent.

8. Turkey says:

Finally the PC gets a mascot!

9. Keyrock says:

I actually liked Of Orcs and Men despite all its faults.. I thought the combat system was pretty well done. I’m usually vehemently against hybrid combat systems, as they rarely work out well and the developer would have been much better off picking either turn-based or real-time, but they made it work really well, particularly the tactics of using both characters to complement each other and play off each other’s strengths. The system broke down in the parts where you played solo. Luckily those parts were very few and far between.

Comment on this story