No Sound, Some Fury: 17 Minutes Of Thief’s First Mission

By Graham Smith on February 17th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

Grab ass.

Just before the weekend, Square Enix popped 17-minutes of unedited footage from the new Thief online. It’s the game’s opening mission, and being on YouTube for that time means I no longer need to offer any opinions of my own. I can just defer to what the commenters underneath the video are saying. Come, watch the video. It’s either “so good this new rebote”, or “looks solid but closer than shit rather than good.”

“I see the lightning, BUT WHERE IS THE THUNDER?! There’s literally lighting every 5 seconds, but barely any thunder. As anyone who has been in a lightning storm will tell you, you notice the thunder alot more than you notice lighting.”

“Good, good… But it will be a lineral game?”

“i hope the camera handling will be better
or its the guys fault who made the playthrough, really annoying its like your characters head was lubricated too much, like sliding as if you were a ghost”

“My god this game looks incredible :O
Not that I don’t like the current voice actor, but how awesome would it have been to have David Hayter do it :D”

“So many zoom pans and small cutscenes that you’re forced to watch. This doesn’t look fun at all. Also, that music really doesn’t fit a stealth game.”

Yeah, I’m more confused than ever now. Thief is due out February 25th in North America and the 28th in February. I’d wait for the reviews – and our WIT, obv – before you slip the game your coin. In the meantime, read Nathan’s hands-on from E3 while holding your chin firmly in worry.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

17 minutes of Thief, 13 minutes of South Park. Two prime numbers. This means something.

• Crimsoneer says:

HL3 confirmed.

• Anthile says:

17+13= 30! Judas betrayed Jesus for 30 pieces of silver. Silver 2 confirmed.

• bikkebakke says:

If you’re talking about silver from 1999 then fuck yes.

• SanguineAngel says:

_____________________________________________

I just logged in to underline Bikkebakke’s comment

• GardenOfSun says:

________________________________________

I logged in to underline SanguineAngel underlining of BikkeBakke’s comment!

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

I logged in to comment on the abhorrent abuse of underlines.

• Lars Westergren says:

I bought it at the time, and I tried ot like it but it didn’t click for me despite getting good reviews. Combat felt repetetive and grindy, only a single type of enemies on every level, clearly to fit PS1/XB memory limitations. At least early levels. Did it get more varied later?

Available on GoG it seems.

• bikkebakke says:

I guess it goes from person to person, I found the combat very fun and versitile since you got to control how to attack and everything while still being fast paced. Plus a bunch of puzzles, cool powers, swords and stuff :P

• Syra says:

I’m here for Silver… fuck yes.

Though it doesn’t stand up to well to be replayed these days, and I’ve played it through at least 3 or 4 times over the last decade.

• Miked says:

That is one of the best comments I’ve ever read on RPS.

• Ionsoment says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes $86 hourly on the internet . She has been fired for ten months but last month her income was $19994 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at more info….

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

2. tasteful says:

how do we know if lubed head is what it feels like to be a ghost

• Lars Westergren says:

Makes you think.

• Syra says:

*desperately tries to avoid lewd comment about needing a lubed head to get it in*

aw dang it.

• kael13 says:

Watched about five minutes of this and then came to the realisation:

D’ya know what would’ve been cool? This game, but set in the Discworld city of Ankh-Morpork, and you play as Lord Vetinari when he was an assassin. Or a thief, I suppose.

• Boothie says:

Your welcome to come up with a game based on the discworld that would not be cool, seriously telltale needs to make a discworld game yesterday

3. Lars Westergren says:

This is the first video that has made me interested in game again, after having mentally discarded it to the “Syndicate” pile.

It looks gorgeous. Non-linear exploration and sneak-only thieving are clearly viable options at least for some parts of the game. Remains to be seen if this is the majority of the game, or if these levels are sandwiched between linear cinematic action/escape sequences, as was hinted at by an earlier trailer. And how good the story is, that is an important part of a game for me.

• foop says:

It does look rather good, doesn’t it? After all the negative early previews, I was prepared for something awful. Unless they carefully picked a bit of the game that would appeal to previous Thief players, I’m cautiously optimistic.

• TheVGamer says:

I’m really hoping this is a Human Revolution situation where the marketing material made it look horrible. A lot of people riled up on it and it ended up being one of the best Deus Ex-styled Deus Ex games around and proved to be a worthy successor to the original. Now I have no doubts this will be a shitty Thief game but all I’m asking for is a good stealth game.

• RedViv says:

Indeed, this seems far better than what I came to expect after all the previews. Maybe they did really turn it around. Be at least half decent, please.

• aepervius says:

I think it looks good simply because after all the negative PR, our expectation are way below the earth crust.

• Spidy09 says:

I’m kinda looking forward to it now, after I threw it in the “not interested” pile a while ago, this made me take it out and dust it off.

• Morlock says:

This video does a much better job than a hundred GARRETT LIKES SHADOWS AND THE CITY IS DARK WHOA trailers. To me the level doesn’t seem to be very open, though. But even if it wasn’t, these days I don’t expect any first level to be open. Not even Dishonored or Far Cry 3 had that.

• Silenus says:

Non-linear?

We must have been watching a different video.

• stele says:

Agreed, it looked good. But wow was it short. Recall your typical Thief 2 level that could take an hour or more to get through.

As for linearity, there were several areas he looked at that he didn’t go into, so I think there are a lot more ways through here than were immediately visible.

• Faxmachinen says:

Some things I liked, some things i disliked. What really bummed me out was the mission ending right in front of the clock tower. That just proves that this game will never be the life of the party.

The city looks unbearable from down here.

• Deadly Sinner says:

Well, they seem to be listening to fans, at least, unlike with other reboots. Didn’t climbing used to be in third person.

• starclaws says:

Climbing was never in third person. There are some highs to this preview like the way you can slink back into the shadows and such. I like how you have to find and search for all the little treasures in drawers and such now. But that’s just part of a stronger engine and to be expected.

I still don’t like all the minor cinematic … stuff… they have for everything. I WANT A GAME NOT AN INTERACTIVE MOVIE! oh look its a person. Cutscene. Oh look another person. Cutscene. Oh look a new quarter of the town. Cutscene. Oh look I’m knocking someone out. cinematic. oh look a rat ran by cinematic. Push forward and A to play movie. You win. Don’t push those? Game Over. Dramatic Music overlay here and there. They took cinematography too far. I wonder how well you can control climbing. If you can cancel a climb midway like the old games and such.

If they cared about atmosphere they would have done something about the thunder to go with the lightning.

The whole dialog and story of the old series were just lost. Especially when they changed voice actors for Garrett. They didn’t use the original voice actor WHY? Because they were too lazy to do motion capture and voice seperately folks!!! That is a disgrace. No he didn’t die, they didn’t have to replace someone like the Oracle in the Matrix or Paul Walker. They were just wanted cinematography over dialog folks. He does sound similar and I’ll give him that but meh. the new thief looks thin and sickly almost why not make him super buff to go with all the other fake movie stuff along with it? At least they did that right. A man of the night living day to day on the run is pale and malnourished. Good stuff.

The vast majority of anyone who has played thief 1 and 2 will be disappointed and by the looks of many other websites they are already puzzled and/or outraged. We understand it is a reboot and I will have to see if it is any good. The pre-order bonus is a way to sucker people in it appears though. Wonder how many people bite? Let the adverts begin.

The game is fairly linear. Not completely but you do follow certain paths to each place you steal from it looks like.

The good part is the amount of stuff 12/60 or 21% he looted in that mission. It appears you can steal things atleast.

4. Keyrock says:

“so good this new rebote”

much video such mission wow

5. tomimt says:

So, am I allowed to say that this looks pretty decent or should I just go straight to hate wagon, because nothing today is as good as it was ysterday?

• cthulhie says:

Agreed. I think this game suffers from Deus Ex 2 syndrome: if we saw an extended trailer of non-linear stealth-focused gameplay (including hints of parkour) in a detailed medieval world with really nice shaders named anything other than “Thief,” we’d all be shitting ourselves. It promises to be a decent game in its own right actually hampered by its franchise.

• tomimt says:

Very true. If this was named “Stealer” or something like that people would be much more lenient. Personally I like how the game looks. If it’s any good is yet to be seen, but at least for now it doesn’t look like a horrible entry to the series.

But what do I know, I actually liked DX:HR despite the ending was pretty lame.

• Skiddywinks says:

You say that like it is an unpopular opinion or something.

• tomimt says:

According to some people it was like the worst game ever., And propably because they had the nerve to make a new Deus Ex game and not consult them, because they were the veteran players of the original game.

• Faxmachinen says:

No no, DX2 was the worst game ever. Unengaging story and unfortunate technical flaws. DX:HR was awesome.

• tetracycloide says:

Deus Ex 2 was not a very good PC game regardless of the title.

• Emeraude says:

The two aren’t mutually exclusive.

6. woodsey says:

In spite of the worrisome previews, I am cautiously optimistic – enough so that I dropped a whole £15 on it for a pre-order.

• Crimsoneer says:

Yeah, can’t really criticise a pre-order at that price…

• Bostec says:

Hey thanks, this and Dark souls 2 are my only pre orders for the year. You have made my day.

• Forgoroe says:

From the description that seems to allow you to play the first mission only. Some sort of demo… Is that the case? Meh… Seems misleading.

EDIT: actually it just may be an extra mission?

• woodsey says:

The Bank Heist is a pre-order exclusive mission (bleh), but that is the full game.

7. Mimiloki says:

Blind, deaf and stupid guards. I hope it was the lowest difficulty gameplay.

• Spidy09 says:

“Blind, deaf and stupid guards.”

Welcome to stealth games.

• derbefrier says:

yeah you are right but still when you are making a reboot of one of the most famous stealth games in existence some might hope they could do better on the AI than they did 15 years ago.

• Lars Westergren says:

At 4:30, they seem to react very quickly just to the sound of a lock getting picked. It’s not consistent, the guard in the jeweler store doesn’t react to drawers opening/closing, but it would be impossible to do it stealthily if he did, since it seems he doesn’t leave the room.

The earlier games (at least Thief 3) could have a guard a meter away looking straight at you, and he wouldn’t see you as long as you were crouching in the shadows and he hadn’t been alerted earlier.

• Spidy09 says:

Splinter Cell: Blacklist did a good job with guard AI (on Realistic difficulty anyway), hiding in shadows doesn’t make you entirely invisible in that game, if they’re close enough to see you they probably will, I also like how Dishonored did the patrol routes, where one guard would notice another guard missing, and take over his patrol and incorporate it into his own, makes you think twice about hiding places for yourself and for bodies.

• Morlock says:

I was very surprised at how good Blacklist was as a stealth game. The fiction felt a bit like Tie Fighter though.

• Max.I.Candy says:

Blacklist is such an under-rated game. I didnt hear much praise, so when I bought it for cheap off Kinguin I was very pleasantly surprised how good it looked and played, and how lovely the stealth was. Also, loads and loads of replay value in the levels.

• Syra says:

Yeah I really love blacklist, it’s weirdly underrated.

• Bimble says:

I hated Conviction with enough conviction to blacklist Blacklist. Maybe I wasn’t alone.

• Josh W says:

The only snag with that was that after a while, everyone was going off on their own. Hide the bodies well and it becomes easier and easier to clean a level entirely.

• Mimiloki says:

Guard also didn’t notice that CLING sound on 02:34

• fish99 says:

Yup, the main thing I noticed was how forgiving the stealth was, like how no one sees you every time there’s lightning, or at 14:00 or 14:32, or the guard not hearing you opening the draws. It’s also hard to tell how linear the game is watching a developer play it, and when it’s just the first mission. Some other things I noticed – the voice work and general audio doesn’t give me a Thief vibe, plus there’s the focus mode and in-mission cinematics.

Having said all that, it looks better than I expected, so maybe I’ll play it at some point.

8. Keyrock says:

I’m still firmly in the let others be the guinea pigs and if by some miracle this turns out much better than it looks, scoop it up on a Steam Sale for 75% off a year from now camp as it pertains to Thi4f.

9. Junkenstein says:

Thief must be an alien or sutin.

10. Jams O'Donnell says:

“In the meantime, read Nathan’s hands-on from E3 while holding your chin firmly in worry.”

You see, the thing is that I’m not worried. I feel fairly confident that this will be an okay game. It won’t hold a candle to its predecessors, but it won’t be a total disaster. It’ll be in the 7/10 kind of range, and that’s fine.

Besides, I can always go back to Dishonored if I need to play a modern stealth game. I still need to pick up the DLC, after all.

• ran93r says:

Knife of Dunwall and Brigmore Witches, although short, are (imo) better than the main game.

11. DavidM says:

Still looks like they are portraying Garrett as some kind of do-gooder who is “for the people”. Barf.

That may appeal to some people but thats *not Garrett’s personality*.

Pass.

• Morlock says:

It’s a reboot. If the gameplay is alright, I give them that creative freedom.

• NathanH says:

Still, they don’t have any easy options. If they try to stick too closely to the original character they risk messing up entirely or creating a caricature. If they do what they are doing they run the risk of irritating people like me. If they make a Thief game without Garrett as the main character they are in danger of attack from the “GARRETT=THIEF” brigade. If they make a medieval larceny simulator under a different name then they lose a lot of free publicity and guaranteed sales and run the risk of being accused of being copycats.

With Deus Ex they had the advantage that there’d already been two protagonists, who were quite different, in the series, so they could use a new protagonist without major problems.

• Morlock says:

“I’m not a huge fan of saying “it’s a reboot” as justification for nicking a character somebody else designed and then changing them however you feel like. It seems rather disrespectful.”

I think this is absolutely legitimate and I am happy that artists do this all the time. This doesn’t mean that I like the new Garrett. So far, I am not impressed with the game’s style, and the writing seems terrible.

I agree that it is impossible to please everybody.

• fish99 says:

As a Thief fan, I would be more likely to play this if the main character wasn’t Garrett.

• jonahcutter says:

If they switch actors for such an iconic role, especially an actor with such a distinctive voice, I’d prefer they just switched protagonists too. They could of created arguably a stronger experience with having a new character running around The City as the protagonist, and have a few cameos at key moments of Garrett showing up with Russell playing the part.

Distancing it from Garrett would also not create what seems a jarring experience by actually changing the nature of Garrett to match the narrative. Have a different character, one less cynical than Garrett, who is more prone to play Robin Hood. Have cynical Garrett-as-mentor/rival appear at sporadic times. There’s some potentially interesting threads to follow there. Imagine having to compete with cynical master thief Garrett at various points in the narrative. To see who gets to the loot first. Imagine having to chase him across rooftops because he stole something you need. Imagine knowing he’s stalking you to steal from you something you already stole. Potentially fun stuff…

I’d be much more interested in playing as a new, more idealistic rival to a properly self-serving, Stephen Russell-voiced Garrett, than play as a poorly-voiced, poorly “re-imagined” Garrett.

• Harlander says:

Garrett does help people, though. The first mission of Thief 2 was distracting the guards while some dude rescues his abducted girlfriend.

Admittedly the person he most commonly helps is himself

• GepardenK says:

Garret hated doing that “love” jobb in the first mission of T2. He was forced to as the new sheriff had made any other job too risky. In mission 2 he had to go freelance and nick money from a local warehouse to pay his rent. Garret was in a bad spot at the time and did not try to help anyone but himself.

In the first game the only reason that Garret killed Constantine and saved the city was because the bastard had tricked him and plucked his eye out

• woodsey says:

Except he does tend to help people and the City, usually as a side-effect of helping himself. Considering the fact that the main antagonist has something of a hard-on for catching thieves it seems likely that it’ll be the case in this one.

• Stellar Duck says:

As you say, it was more as a side effect that he helped people.

He didn’t live in the Batcave, sorry Clock Tower and acted like some sort of emo hero. He lived in a grubby flat and nicked his landlords extortion payments. At least, mine did.

• Faxmachinen says:

Exactly. Garrett is only an interesting character up until the point he becomes an altruistic good guy. At that point you might as well swap him for any other trite video game protagonist.

12. LVX156 says:

I believe the developers said on their forum that this isn’t representative of the finished product, hence missing sounds. Also, this is the tutorial level, the other levels are supposedly much less linear.

13. jonahcutter says:

No Stephen Russell. Waiting for a sale. I have plenty of games still to play in the meantime.

Same as I did for Splinter Cell because no Michael Ironside.

• Morlock says:

See above. The new Splinter Cell is certainly better than Double Agent and Conviction gameplay-wise. I think this trumps Michael Ironside.

• jonahcutter says:

Nothing trumps Michael Ironside. Or Stephen Russell in this context. And its merits relative to earlier games is irrelevant.

The game will still be there to play no matter how long I wait. I just bought Blacklist on sale and yes it’s good. I can’t say as I missed playing it until now though. Like I said, there are more than enough great games to hold my attention in the meantime. But their decision to not use Ironside cost them me paying full price, which I likely would have as I thoroughly enjoyed Conviction. A drop in the ocean to them, sure. But it’s the power I have to wield, so wield it I shall.

It’s obvious from the little bit of Blacklist I’ve played so far that not casting Ironside was a bad decision. The best I can say about the new actor is he’s bland and forgettable. I roll my eyes a bit every time I hear his voice respond when someone calls him Sam (he sounds to me like a TV actor in his early 20′s trying to sound gravelly and tough). It’s a definite negative to the overall experience. I never did anything but enjoy Ironside’s performances.

• MajorManiac says:

“Nothing trumps Michael Ironside.” – I was about the write the exact same thing.

The only exception might be Bruce Campbell… Now I thinking of a monster hunting movie staring both of them. Someone make it happen!

• Emeraude says:

Gameplay-wise, Thiaf so far doesn’t seem to be better than any of the previous Thief games, though.

14. Utsunomiya says:

Well, it does look at least on par with Deadly Shadows, which is nice, I guess.

• Faxmachinen says:

For what it’s worth, I think it looks better than DS. They used the Z dimension to much better effect. It should be mentioned that I do not hold DS in high regard, though.

15. mikmanner says:

I love how the guards have no inner monologue, makes me laugh. http://youtu.be/tpNoaR_Nzrs?t=4m28s

16. Freud says:

The head bobbing bothered me a lot but I have to assume you can turn it off.

17. Tyshalle says:

As someone who’s never played a Thief game before, this looks all right, but kind of bland. A lot of games with “stealth elements” have enemies that just wander around in predictable patterns, but you kind of forgive them if stealth isn’t the only focus of the game. In a game like this, where stealth is really the only focus of the game, having weak, predictable AI that just walks around in the same circle unless you get caught makes getting around enemies less about stealth and more about timing. It’s not very interesting to me.

• Morlock says:

Predictable AI is usually a core feature of sneak’em ups (including previous Thief titles), but I agree that it may be time for something new.

• Snargelfargen says:

The previous Thief games did have some unpredictable enemies (or at least enemies with paths that were very difficult to discern), but they were mostly reserved for times when they wanted to unsettle or scare the player.

I think balancing a stealth game around truly unpredictable npcs would be very difficult. The new Thief’s devs did try to implement a solution by making Garrett a powerful melee combatant although ironically that made it kind of not a stelath game. I’m not sure if that’s been toned down for the final release or not, although guards definitely don’t pose much of a threat to Garrett in the second half of this video> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eQIuvs0uWjM

• fish99 says:

QTE combat at 5:26 (with 3rd person camera switch). I get that’s an upgrade and you probably can’t use it all the time, but it still shouldn’t exist. Also upgrades to make lockpicking easy. And focus mode showing all the loot.

My interest level just dropped back to zero.

• LVX156 says:

Why? Because you can’t keep yourself from using those OPTIONAL functions?

• woodsey says:

You can turn all of the focus features off. They have only announced this approximately 3 million times.

• fish99 says:

reply to both LVX156 and woodsey/

The problem is the game will be balanced around you having and using those skills and upgrades. They’ve already said they’re not sure how well it’ll play it you disable them. Also if they are there you will use them, and they will kill any tension the game would otherwise have had. If Garrett can take down a guard with one QT button press, where’s the tension from being discovered? Thief/Thief 2 were extremely difficult if you went full on aggressive. Garrett is not super tough, or super good at sword fighting. It’s absolutely key to the tension the game had that you couldn’t just engage in melee anytime you wanted and that there were consequences to being discovered.

• Sheng-ji says:

It’s basically because stealth games reward skill not luck. If guards acted randomly or realistically in any particular stealth game, not only would it be difficult, it would be frustrating as hell. Imagine – you’re sneaking along the rooftops. You see an archer on the roof patrolling up and down. Currently, you get a grasp on his pattern, decide how to get past him and put it into motion. You can still be surprised so it pays to understand the environment around him – does he pause his patrol to greet a guard on the streets as he passes for example?

Now make it more realistic. yuou have no idea when to go because his patrol varies wildly for no discernable reason. Sometimes he sits for hours at a time, motionlessly watching. Basically roll a dice, if 4+ you get past ok, if not you fail. Boring and frustrating!

• Lars Westergren says:

Nothing worse than spending 10 minutes of your life trying to time the patrol paths perfectly, and suddenly a randomly wandering guards comes around the corner behind you.

• Professor Paul1290 says:

Guards don’t really have to have consistent predictable paths style of game and having random elements in patrols can improve things quite a bit.
      However, it does have implications when it comes to difficulty so you do have to be careful with them.

The Dark Mod actually does have semi-random guard patrols and they work very well at make missions more dynamic and interesting, but they are not considered “standard” for a reason. They tend to be implemented in missions that are designed to have a higher than usual difficulty and aren’t very common in more conventional missions.

Daud’s DLC campaign in Dishonored (Knife of Dunwall, The Brigmore Witches) seems to have some mild randomness put into its guard patrols. A lot of guards in those missions have a number of points they patrol to, but which patrol points they use what order they patrol them in isn’t always the same each time they go through a patrol. In my opinion it works very well and makes the missions more interesting, though it’s worth noting that stealth in Daud’s DLC campaign is significantly more difficult than in the main campaign which can be a good or bad thing depending on who you are.

18. GardenOfSun says:

Can’t argue with David Hayter.

But, in all fairness, judging from these comments one would say that after all the youtube’s comment section is (sloowly) getting more civilised. There’s hope for humanity yet.

• roryok says:

Its odd though, to compare the level of linguistic skill on a site like youtube to a site like RPS. Here everyone’s practically an literary scholar by comparison. Look up and down this thread! No typos, no outstanding grammatical errors. I’m not trying to be a snob or anything, but I do genuinely wonder why the comments are so atrocious on youtube. Is it just that youtube attracts more commenters for whom english is a second language? Do video sites in general attract an audience that’s less comfortable with reading and writing than the rest of us? Is everyone just typing with one hand?

• GardenOfSun says:

Disclaimer: earlier with “these comments” I actually meant the ones quoted by Mr Graham in the article. Just to clarify (I’m new to this whole “commenting on internet sites thingy!”)

Anyway I feel like this question would actually warrant a more serious study than what we can offer here between me and you. My general impression is that it mainly is a difference of audience. Apparently youtube, being a “mass” environment, tends for some reason to lower the average quality of the commenters. Actually, is there some law which formally explains how “mass” phenomena tend to always drop in quality *below* the actual human average? Because I’m quite sure such a tendency can be ascertained practically everywhere.
        On the other hand, a place such as this evidently tends to select its audience in subtle ways. In fact, until recently I myself would not have thought of commenting on a games site; however, after having followed this site for several months and having been charmed by its kind and intelligent community… here I am!

Ah, if only modern sociology and psychology were actually up to the ask of clarifying these phenomena!

• piercehead says:

“an literary scholar”…ahem. Sorry :P

• roryok says:

God dammit. There just had to be a typo in my post, didn’t there? I guess I’m off to youtube

• Spidy09 says:

“Is it just that youtube attracts more commenters for whom english is a second language?”

English is a second language to me! yet I seem to be faring quite well on the RPS comment section, I do have a tendency to review my comment before sending it on it’s merry way into the ether, youtube just attract more kids and phone users who are not too concerned with grammar or pronunciation.

19. Emeraude says:

Agreed with what some others say: for now it looks like it’s going to be standard modern AAA mediocre averaged out fare with absolutely no grace or charm to it. Perfectly consumable, then soon to be forgotten.

We’ll see.

20. Bluerps says:

Now now, Mr Smith, don’t be mean to youtube commenters. They try really hard, you know.

21. adventerous3 says:

Way to steal Monaco’s tagline. “What’s yours is mine” worked better for that game anyway.

• Emeraude says:

The original Thief already had “What is your can be mine” – which I think works much better than the new line*. Especially in context.

No honor among thieves and all that jazz…

*: again: we’ll see how it works in the end, but everything we’ve seen of the writing so far doesn’t inspire much confidence.

• Janichsan says:

What did you expect from a thief?

22. Don Marcos says:

It’s just me or every time I see something about Thief or the City I remember the book Mistborn from Sanderson?? A mod would be nice…since they were thieves too!! =D

23. Sheogorath says:

I see we’re going with the “you can only climb on objects that have brightly colored paint on them” approach to infiltration.

For some reason, this has always annoyed me.

Also, I heard that comment about “the grim” early on in the video. So I can only assume Thifouref will contain zombies once more. Does anybody actually LIKE having zombies in the Thief series? I seem to recall it was one of the major complaints about the first one that a perfectly good stealing simulator was ruined by throwing undead and jump scares into it.

• SRTie4k says:

Why should zombies be such a problem in a game that contains magic, talking monkeys, mantis people, a tree woman, etc etc?

I thought all of those elements blended to make a perfect dark fantasy/steampunk world.

24. SRTie4k says:

Friggin? What ever happened to Taffin?

• Runs With Foxes says:

They threw it out, along with everything else that made the Thief setting distinct and memorable.

25. Turkey says:

I’ll admit the gameplay looks alright. I just can’t get excited about anything surrounding it.

26. nimbulan says:

I must say this footage looks a million times better than what they showed at E3. Hopefully the combat still isn’t crap, but if you’re good enough you shouldn’t ever need to fight.

The map seems rather small in this mission but it’s hard to tell since the player doesn’t explore much. If the game contains at least some large open levels like Dishonored, it’s going to be amazing.

27. HadToLogin says:

Hey, can WIT be written by someone who doesn’t really care about previous Thief-games, so I could learn if it’s fun game?

It’s reboot, so it will be probably bad sequel, like 99% of them are (yes, even Enemy Unknown was bad sequel, with levels that can be played twice in same playthrough and rather limiting move+move/action system). But I would really like to know if it’s at least a fun game.

28. Janichsan says:

Hm, I don’t know. Graphically, the game looks great, but I got the feeling that the developers took more than one cue from the 2013 Tomb Raider reboot, which I have learned to utterly dislike. Depending on how far this “inspiration” goes, Thief might be yet another classic franchise sacrificed to appeal to the cinematic AAA fetishists.

On the other hand, Thief won’t have quick time events, which were one of the biggest gripes I had about Tomb Raider 2013.

29. Horg says:

Hmm. Based on that video it’s looking better than it was 6 months ago.

So, the good bits. The new voice actor seems to be doing a passable Garret, although Steven Russel Garret will always be best Garret. Graphically impressive. Pleasing lack of glowing loot (never forget, never forgive). They retained the dark techo-themed music style. Movement looked fluid, pleasant animations. They retained the light gem. Dark / light areas are easily distinguishable. No loading screens.

The neutral bits. We don’t know anything about the AI or general difficulty, the preview made that level look rather easy. Lock picking mini game looks somewhat underwhelming. Still undecided on Focus, we need more info about how it affects the game.

The bad bits. The jewelers shop window exit implied points of no return in levels. Complete lack of taffers. Contextual thief tools. We still don’t know if contextual jumping will be a thing. RADIATORS?! In engine cut scenes, if there is one thing that could kill this game its probably the AAA fetish for trying to make a movie instead of a game.

Do your WIT well RPS, you know what we want and need to know.

• Janichsan says:

“Pleasing lack of glowing loot (never forget, never forgive).”
      Focus mode. As far as I understood that, loot will stand out when you use it.

“No loading screens.”
      Well, the video shows a single mission. There is plenty of potential for loading screens in between them.

“RADIATORS?!”
      In use since mid-19th century and hence in line with the Victorian steampunk setting.

• Emeraude says:

I seem to remember from previous videos loading during missions while passing through conveniently placed obstacles..

• Horg says:

I don’t think radiators are particularly steampunk. An arrangement of brass tubing, belching steam and with more valves than are reasonably functional would be steampunk. Radiators are too contemporary. I think i’m more annoyed by them than anything else tbh : |

30. drygear says:

It looks good. The main thing that bothers me actually is how quiet the footsteps are.
    Also, I love that swoop. Whenever he does it I imagine him holding a cloak up over his face like a black and white film villain.

• Widthwood says:

I hope the game will be moddable so we could replace Garret with Darkwing Duck

31. C0llic says:

No candlesticks stolen.

Not a thief game.

• Faxmachinen says:

Damn. Truer words were never spoken.

I still have a fan mission about Garrett’s fevered candlestick nightmares on my to-do list.

32. grimdanfango says:

At LAST! How many videos so far? Four hundred and seven?!

They’ve *finally* actually decided to show a hint of the parts of the game that everyone was interested in. Did they honestly think anyone gave a crap how cinematic it was?

It’s not perfect by any means, but it’s the first damned video they’ve put together that actually makes me think it stands half a chance of being worth playing.

Either there genuinely isn’t much substance to the thing, or some marketing peeps really need to get their heads out of their arses and wake up to what fans are actually interested in. I have slightly restored hope that it may turn out to be the latter.

33. kament says:

Feels very Deadly Shadows (which is my favourite if only for the first person legs; you stick to your candlesticks, I go for asses legs). Much prettier though. And if you actually go back and compare that tutorial to this… well, damn. I dare not hope the whole game will turn out to be equally superior to the predecessor, it’s too good to be true.

34. Deinonychus says:

I didn’t really follow this.
    Why did they change the setting to 19th century/steampunk?

35. Cortes says:

I keep my eyes on this game. Want to try it when release.