StarCrawlers Kickstarter Scuttles Halfway Towards Goal

By Graham Smith on February 17th, 2014 at 1:00 pm.

I'd like one of these guys to be my friend.

It was just a couple of weeks ago that we wrote about StarCrawlers, a first-person dungeon crawler set onboard derelict spaceships. Now the Legend of Grimrock-style game is up on Kickstarter and almost halfway towards its $65,000 goal. It has endless, procedurally generated levels, and enemy scuttlebots who talk in emoticons. Climb aboard to watch the pitch video below.

The game is being made by Juggernaut Games, a team of indie devs formed by people who previously worked on projects like PlayStation Home. Their animation experience makes the game look, in spite of its rusting-spaceship aesthetic, a bit lovely. Like this:

In between the Grimrock-style movement and combat, the game has a “Narrative AI” which generates the procedural ships based on the story of the mission you’re running. You’ll help shape your characters with your responses to mission plot points, with the classes of your squad of characters defining the options available to you.

These kinds of games – first-person dungeon crawlers – have always felt restrictive to me. For years, I couldn’t get past the idea that they were old first-person shooters, from an era when pre-rendered graphics required limited movement. But then, I’m quite dim. I like dungeon crawlers. I like turn-based combat. I like RPG systems. StarCrawlers seems like it could be fun, and mercifully moves on from the more typical orcs-and-goblins setting to the marginally less typical robots-and-pipes setting.

If you want into the game as soon as possible, you need to back at the $23 tier to receive the beta when it launches in September of this year. Alternatively, there are a bunch of lower tiers if you want the finished game at the end of development.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. BTAxis says:

When I read that headline I got the impression the Kickstarter project itself was scuttled.

• Ionsoment says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes $86 hourly on the internet . She has been fired for ten months but last month her income was $19994 just working on the internet for a few hours. look at more info….

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

2. yusefsmith says:

Hi guys! I’m cooking up a delicious meal of rice and beans. Please pay me $10 for your rice and beans now and I will mail them to you in September of next year.

Pay only $20 to receive an extra bonus: added bacon!

• oggnogg says:

Sounds great, where should I send the monies?

• grom.5 says:

Or you can also don’t pay, don’t do anything, and eat your shoes for the rest of the day/year.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Of course, making a game is much more akin to having to create a building, oven, and refrigerator from scratch, then grow the rice and beans, then get them imported from the farm, which is a few countries away, then finally put everything together months later. So the analogy, humorous though it might be, doesn’t work.

• snowgim says:

Just sit back and count your money, Scrooge McDuck. The rest of us have games to fund.

3. TormDK says:

Their backer amounts were a Little odd, but I’ve gone ahead and backed them.

We need more turn based party RPGs, and this looks like an interesting approach.

4. welverin says:

For the love of god stop referring to anything with a first person perspective as a first person shooter!

5. megalosaurus says:

Yup this looks good – have backed. Long may the Grimrock-style-dungeon-crawler renaissance continue. Also: we need more games set in space dungeons.

Space Dungeons ftw!

6. Werthead says:

A sci-fi tile-based RPG?

So it’s basically a new CAPTIVE? Because that would be awesome.

7. Artist says:

After Ultima Underworld I never wanted to go back to any 90°-turning RPGs, like Dungeon Master and Co. Counts for Grimrock and this project. It feels like a fallback into the darkage of computer RPGs. I rather suffer from the movement restrictions than getting any nostalgic vibes out of this.
    Nice project, though.

• XhomeB says:

Grid-based movement ties directly to the game’s mechanics, it’s not only a matter of arbitrarily limiting your freedom of movement just for the sake of it.

• Caiman says:

RPS need to write a script so that every time someone mentions hating grid-based games, the above response is posted. Preferably also while a jet of water squirts the original poster in the face.

• ResonanceCascade says:

Speaking of which, why haven’t we seen one single Ultima Underworld or System Shock-style game pop up on Kickstarter? We’ve seen genres that are equally difficult and expensive to tackle crop up again and again, but none of the old Looking Glass magic. There was The Long Dark, which looks vaguely in that wheelhouse, but that’s been it.

8. bills6693 says:

Also don’t forget, music by the same guy who did FTL I believe :D

9. Chaz says:

Yet another dim corridored vision of the future where they still haven’t perfected energy saving light bulbs.

10. DrScuttles says:

Scuttlebots? Count me most unequivocally in.

11. jarowdowsky says:

Isn’t this more Wizardry than Captive or Grimrock.

Looking at the combat it seems to be traditional RPG encounters, rather than the tile based stuff from Dungeon Master.

Which is cool in itself but that’s a very different style to Grimrock. Maybe I’m missing something they’ve said about the Alpha footage not reflecting the final version of the game?

12. Maxheadroom says:

Dont forget there’s already been a ‘Dungeon Master in Space’, and after 20 minutes of racking my brain I finally remembered it was called Xenomorph

A criminally overlooked gem of an Amiga game

Comment on this story