Thought Bubbles: Inside Kingdom Come: Deliverance’s AI

By Craig Pearson on February 17th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Also not a dragon
“While we don’t have dragons, we have chickens,” has just become my favourite developer quote of all time. For a brief moment I was imagining a world-dominating chicken that people would live in terror of. The giant beak, the angry peck, the awkward, flappy attempt at flight… terrifying. But context is important, and in this case that quote is about Kingdom Come: Deliverance, a game that doesn’t have dragons because it wants to be a reasonably realistic portrayal of medieval life. That means it doesn’t have giant chooks, either. The chicken example is just a way of introducing the game’s AI, which promises to have day and night cycles for the animals as well as the humans. Why not join Felix Baumgartner below the cut to find out more?

It’s all stuff we’ve heard before: the AI will go about their day, and you’ll be there to disrupt it, meaning if you visit a blacksmith in the middle of the night to deliver a package he won’t respond favourably, but I think they’re onto something with some of the tricks they’re pulling off. NPCs will play the same mini-games to craft that the player will, which means your actions are represented in the world as a whole. I like the look of the fabric they’re weaving.

This is going to happen. The Kickstarter has gathered more than enough to be successful, and there’s still three days to go.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Lexx87 says:

I may back this just because of the t-shirt he’s wearing.

2. guygodbois00 says:

Has anyone noted the eyes of the Warhorse people in this video; they do not sleep much, I guess. Also, probably, drugs, because why not etc.
    Also, love that stretch goal where they will be capturing actors. On with the hunt!

• Lexx87 says:

The guy at the end looks like he’s not slept in years. Poor bloke.

I guess they’ve really had to push now the spotlights on them.

• USER47 says:

Just a lack of sleep doesn’t really cause this thing in such a magnitude. Those black circles will most likely be indication of some chronic health problem, like bad kidneys, atopic eczema etc.

• Grygus says:

Or he’s an amateur boxer. Or his eyes just look like that – some people have dark eye sockets. We don’t have nearly enough information to make this call.

• Shigawire says:

LOL you guys are funny. One of you sound like a doctor. :P And yeah, there are too many reasons for dark eye sockets.. including health, diet, genetics.

You know pandas have REALLY dark eye sockets.. and I’m pretty sure they are that because of genes.

3. Mittens89 says:

This looks fabulous. Could this be an Elder Scrolls beater?

• smeaa mario says:

Exactly what I thought. I expect them to surpass what Skyrim offered despite the fact that they don’t even have dragons. They have chickens, which is even better.

• phuzz says:

Well, birds are basically small dinosaurs without teeth, so all you have to do is scale the chickens up and you’re most of the way to dragons right?

• Darth Gangrel says:

Can’t it just be a great game in its own right, without the need to compare it to others? Whether its better than any of the TES games depends on what you want in a game, but I doubt it will sell better. It looks very ambitious and well-thought out, so I hope it’s successful, which fortunately doesn’t mean that it’ll have to sell 10 million copies.

• WrenBoy says:

Elder Scrolls? Im still waiting for someone to beat Gothic 2.

4. SteelPriest says:

I’m very tempted to throw some money at this, but what’s the deal with only getting “Act 1″ of three? :S

• Ultra Superior says:

Act 1 is a fully fledged game with minimum 30+ hours of gameplay, act 2 and 3 are datadiscs that will add around 20 hours of gameplay each and will be released year after Act1 and then another year after Act 2.

Each act brings new map and new content and features.

They promise to release them after 9 months, but I think that’s way too optimistic. However, they said they slightly regret revealing their plans for act 2 and 3 because it’s confusing people who understandably think that they’ll be getting just one third of a game…

• Janichsan says:

I’d say they would have regretted it far more if their backers had heard only later that they would only get a third of the game.

And if that “Act” thing does *not* mean that a single act is only part of a complete game, they should regret having dubbed that an “act” in the first place – because that is what “act” per definitionem means: a part of a greater story.

5. Lolsmurf says:

Why does this game look better than most AAA games this day ?
    Looks like a fantastic game and concept, but I have a question:

Will there be some dialogue cycle (like in mass effect) or will you just watch and listen when your character autotalks and answers himself ?

Also, sheep don’t run away like that lol, they are not chicken. If sheep run away, they always stay together, or at least most of them, it’s not like they spread indivudually and run away alone.

• Grey Cap says:

It is kind of is a AAA game. They’re running the kickstarter to prove to a wealthy investor that the project is worth investing in; the actual budget of the game is going to be at least an order of magnitude greater than the kickstarter goal.

Funny thing: I was a bit surprised by the sheep AI not moving in a flock as well :D

6. Popotter says:

“For a brief moment I was imagining a world-dominating chicken that people would live in terror of. The giant beak, the angry peck, the awkward, flappy attempt at flight… terrifying.”

Done already:

7. InternetBatman says:

It’s amazing how much money this game has gotten with relatively little fanfare. I suppose we’re somewhat inured to million dollar kickstarters.

• Darth Gangrel says:

It’s odd how you can get used to almost anything, as long as it’s frequent enough. There sure are a lot of people out there, with a lot of money they’re willing to spend on the right thing. Then again, we normally don’t hear about all the failed kickstarters or those that succeed despite not having anything interesting to offer.

8. Canape says:

CHICKENBORN

9. SuicideKing says:

Never got around to playing Skyrim, but this has my interest. Heck, a research team doing AI alone has my interest.

10. trooperwally says:

For anyone short of time, check out 5:14 for the chickens quote. Type doesen’t do it justice.

Also, which stretch goal is it where we can get the AI lead (one in the red shirt) to do some voice acting? I get the impression it’s just his natural accent inflected by the terror of being filmed but whatever he said sounded dramatic (to my ears anyway). I want him to voice stuff in the game.

Anyway, I’m off to fund this game. So many things to love about it, but I think it was the amount of everyday clutter which did it for me. The whole thing seems fascinating banal, perfect setting for some RPG antics.

11. Triprunner says:

I’ll back it, as long as they have lots of cocks…

/let myself out now

12. GardenOfSun says:

Seems quite promising.
    Although personally from university researchers on AI I think I’d expect something a bit… more sophisticated. I mean dynamic behaviour trees are surely a step ahead and look interesting enough, but isn’t it just a more refined way to hide the fact that the npcs of our games still do not possess any way to learn and change their behaviour by themselves?

(Not that I believe the idea of a *true* artificial intelligence can hold any meaning… but still)

13. BuyYellowPaper says:

Has this guy ever even been to the pub? I’ve never set out to the pub, actually got there, found it to be busy and said “Oh well, guess I better pursue one of my other interests”

Comment on this story