A Glitch In Time: DEIOS

By Adam Smith on February 18th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

Sometimes a game is so startling in appearance that I don’t want to know how it plays lest the illusion of something new be shattered. DEIOS is such a game. It looks like the game equivalent of something like William Basinski’s Disintegration Loops, a collection of ordinary things degraded to the point of abstract anxiety and mechanical melancholy. DEIOS is intentionally degraded though, every glitch hand-crafted, and it looks wonderful, like a cross between Sword & Sorcery EP, Another World and something else entirely. More images and video below.

You now know as much about how DEIOS plays as I do. Glitchscape exploration with bouts of single-screen god-shooting action? Sounds about right.

Available now, DEIOS can be yours for a minimum payment of $4.98 in Australian money. You’ll receive an hour and a half long album for your dosh as well.

Thanks to Indiestatik.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Red Tonic says:

Ah! This gives me shivers (in the good way). The screenshots remind me of something, but I just can’t put my finger on it. Is it bad that I wish this were on Steam or GOG? It’s hard to keep accounts on so many platforms straight. Probably all my login info is out in the wild at this point.

Also, Banished was released today.

2. altum videtur says:

Well, that figures.

3. JRHaggs says:

I can’t believe you referenced the Disintegration Loops…

The level of seriousness with which I read your posts just went up by an order of magnitude.

4. MrNash says:

Looks kinda pretty. The exploration areas remind me of some of those sci-fi movies from the 60s and 70s where they’d be in another dimension or something, and would have a tone of filters on the camera. The analogue-sounding synths in the trailer made it feel even more like that. =)

5. BerthaCBowling says:

my classmate’s half-sister makes $70 /hr on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her income was $12519 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    look at this website ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

6. Spakkenkhrist says:

I’m sure the last time I looked at buying this a month or so ago it wasn’t Windows 8 compatible, but can’t see anything to suggest this now, has anyone on 8 tried this yet?

EDIT: Just read that it is now 7 & 8 compatible.

7. spathi says:

the soundtrack has caught my attention

8. Grey Ganado says:

That first screenshot looks almost exactly like the first real building I ever made in Minecraft.

9. Wurstwaffel says:

I think this is just a tad too artsy fartsy for me.

• Spakkenkhrist says:

For reasons I can’t explain your comment convinced me to buy this.

10. yhancik says:

This doesn’t top the überglitchiness of Memory of a Broken Dimension http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/tag/memory-of-a-broken-dimension/ (or Roͬͬ͠͠͡͠͠͠͠͠͠͠͠sͬͬ͠͠͠͠͠͠͠͠͠aͬͬ͠͠͠͠͠͠͠ Menkman’s Compress Process, but WARNING it’s totally a not-game http://ilikethisart.net/?p=14078)

11. dfuse says:

One of the best looking games I have ever seen. Reminds me of Neuromancer. Gonna buy it one of these days, I hope the gameplay is decent enough to finish it