Bullet Swell: Tower Of Guns Is A Randomised FPS

By Graham Smith on February 18th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

Tower of guns. Skyscraper of bullets.

‘Bullet hell’ is one of the best genres, not because I like playing it – liking things is passé – but because it’s an exciting example of the way in which a genre and its audience can warp, and focus, and drill down, and close themselves off to outside influence. I find just the existence of Touhou exciting.

If bullet hell was to be picked up and poured back into the wider world of videogames, Tower Of Guns might be what it looks like. Check out the trailer below.

It certainly has a lot of bullets. Tower of Guns also puts a weapon in your hand, and has you fighting through randomised, clockwork-like levels. The randomisation in enemies and powerups is because it’s designed to be completed in a single sitting – one or two hours, according to the Steam page – and then re-played multiple times. That sounds like a neat idea to me.

I went for the bullet hell thing, but I could have written the intro to this post from a dozen different angles. Here’s another: it’s Serious Sam, but with the screaming, heat-seeking enemies replaced with simple artillery. A light, frothy, fast-paced FPS.

Check out the Steam page for more screenshots.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. The Army of None says:

Hell is other Guns.

2. Sp4rkR4t says:

I bloody adore this game, the world needs the roguelike idea to expanded into genres like this more often.

• BellendSebastian says:

It already has somewhat, Tower of Guns, Paranautical Activity and Eldritch of late do similar things.

3. FrumiousBandersnatch says:

I always liked how descripions of real indie games sound just as crazy as the output of a random game idea generator (like this one).
    Here are some gems i collected
    “virtual reality remote-controlled sky golf set in a grim cyber-steampunk future”
    “inter-dimensional magic space cowboy MMO”
    “mining platform adventure”
    “A one-move massively multiplayer parser game”
    “Procedurally Generated Noir Murder Mystery”
    “A Clockpunk Randomised Roguelite FPS Bullethell”

4. Arkanos says:

Every time I see Tower of Guns, I’m reminded of the Moon Rift kickstarter that started great, then disappeared… Not because I think this one will disappear, but because randomized guns are in both. That’s all.

But the dev of moonrift hasn’t posted an update in months upon months and I’ve done my damnedest to track him down online to no avail. The best I managed was finding him on steam, FB, and Google+ then I used G+ to cross-check friends and find someone he had on FB and G+ which was only a single person.

It’s like the guy died, and I’d hate if that was true because he was nice and real creative. :(

5. Niko says:

I don’t know. Screaming headless enemies are more fun to blow up.

6. Koishi Komeiji says:

Wow, someone on here who mentions Touhou. That in of itself is awesome. As for the game, it looks really cool. Besides, after beating all the Touhou games on Lunatic, I need a new challenge.

7. The Random One says:

Interesting. Sounds like what I’d hoped Paranautical Activity would be like.

8. BerthaCBowling says:

my classmate’s half-sister makes $70 /hr on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her income was $12519 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    look at this website ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

9. Wedge says:

I got the early access to this on sale a ways back, it’s been coming along fairly well as a Binding of Isaac meets Quake/UT FPS thing. Most of the boss battles don’t feel like they exactly work that well, but otherwise most of the mechanics feel pretty fun.

Oh and hey, I guess there is a newer version I could be playing, so I’m going to download that now.

welverin says:

If you like bullet hell, how about a post on Ikaruga’s release?