Into The Dark: Year Walk Strolling Onto Steam

By Adam Smith on February 18th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

Spooky games are set in hospitals, asylums, prisons, laboratories and mansions, right? The ingredients for terror are creaky floorboards, inexplicably locked doors, rusted wire mesh and filthy toilets (seriously, it’s a thing – a game can barely be described as an authentic horror game unless there’s at least one unflushed loo). Year Walk isn’t playing along. Inspired by nineteenth century Swedish folklore, it’s a game about walking toward a church at midnight, passing through cold, dark places along the way, and confronting the embodiments of fear and weakness that hide in the woods. Critically acclaimed on iOS, the game is heading to Steam on March 6th, which is fantastic news. Trailer below.

Describing Year Walk as a horror game is a little unfair. It’s an unsettling game. That’s a genre now.

Played from a first-person perspective, Year Walk has basic puzzles but is mostly about witnessing strange vignettes, swiping the screen from side to side or top to bottom as the walk heads toward its terminus. The swiping should easily translate to mouse control but I seem to recall Year Walk requiring some clever device manipulation, using the accelerometer to trigger interactions. Hopefully I won’t have to connect a Wii-stick to my monitor and do the foxtrot with it in order to pick up a vase.

The PC version will contain new puzzles and locations, a map and a built-in encyclopaedia. The latter is most likely a replacement for the separate app that accompanied the iOS version.

Oh, and I’ve just realised that I can’t remember seeing a filthy toilet in Amnesia. Curses.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Gap Gen says:

2014: Year of the Goat.

2. Alien426 says:

I thought this was about the trash game Into The Dark. If you speak German, I recommend the GameTube playthrough.

3. matnym says:

This is a fantastic little horror game. Will buy again on PC.

4. XhomeB says:

Steam this, Steam that… Yes, I buy games there as well, but where is mah GOG version? GOG is awesome!

5. dfuse says:

And where is the Android version?

golem09 says:

The dev refuses to publish on android because it’s not profitable. Probably because we’re all pirates, right.

• Gunrun says:

More that they have to support a million skus with a shit compatability framework leaving you with a ton of angry nerds asking why their game won’t run on their ZTE Toaster 3000 running AnimePantsuMod 7.4.

• dfuse says:

That’s a shame. I recently got into gaming on my phone a lot and I’m desperately looking for quality games on Android. There are a few but not that much. And I don’t install free games, I don’t trust them., only paid games.

Oozo says:

Year Walk came out of nowhere, but was maybe my favourite game-related experience of 2013. I fear that a lot will be lost in the transfer to the PC, because Simogo really are masters of marrying the form (by which I mean the device and all it’s quirks and possibilities) to the content of the game. Still, the atmosphere is haunting enough that I highly recommend playing it even on PC.

PS Surprised to see the inclusion of a hint system… I’m really not good a puzzle games and still made it to the end relatively quickly. You just have to be observative and ready to accept a way of thinking which is the one of rituals rather than cold logic.

7. Meat Circus says:

Back to back, Simogo released Year Walk and Device 6. These guys are the unchallenged masters of unsettling.

amateurviking says:

Ooooh I wonder if we’ll get Device 6 in due course too? I’ve been hoping to play both but don’t have an iPhone/Pad.

8. Shazbut says:

Hooray! I had my eye on this and my fingers crossed that it would make it over to the True Platform one day

9. Deano2099 says:

I really disliked this, which is odd as Device 6 was probably my game of the year. I just found the navigation frustrating, the puzzles counter-intuitive and the story boring. Sure, it looks nice but I just didn’t enjoy it one bit.

10. The Random One says:

Unsettle games, eh? I did like Knock Knock a lot…

11. BerthaCBowling says:

my classmate’s half-sister makes $70 /hr on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her income was $12519 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    look at this website ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com