ReNinja: Strider Leaps In Today

By Ben Barrett on February 19th, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

FACE OFF

As a writer for Rock, Paper, Shotgun I am contractually obliged to know absolutely nothing about the series that Capcom are most recently rebooting. Previously consigned purely to the arcades and consoles, protagonist Strider Hiryu and his menagerie of robots was firmly beyond my grasp. I was disallowed any knowledge of his wall-hanging, ninja-running, platform-jumping ways and any investigation into the original late 80s arcade game, which this remake is based on, was redirected to Monkey Island Studies. Thank goodness for other people’s nostalgia, as from today the pyjama-clad death machine is available on Steam with a launch trailer below, if you’re quick enough.

If you’re unconvinced, there’s a dev diary and other information available on the Steam page linked above. As with all classics, a certain amount of de-roseifying is required when judging both the original forms and any remakes. As great as a game may have been in 1989, it’s unlikely to match up to what we expect from modern efforts. Developers Double Helix have spoken about how they wished to remain true to the series by maintaining links to previous games through powers and plotline, but understand players expect more from their Metroidvania(lite?)s now. On the other hand, Nathan’s concerns from the announcement still seem valid and we’ll be casting our most critical eye in the near future.

, , .

1. Henke says:

“Previously consigned purely to the arcades and consoles”

It was on the Commodore 64 as well! :D

• Taidan says:

There was an Amiga port, too!

Anyway, all we need to know is that Strider is one of the all-time great franchises, and that a new instalment is A Big Deal.

2. LordDamien says:

Hum.. I liked a lot the arcade games, yet this doesn’t have the same vibe. At that point of playing, the best things from it was the creative enemies and bosses/mini-bosses, and the cool scenarios like snowy mountains with secret bunkers, flying bases or some kind of soviet robot Kremlin.

3. DrollRemark says:

I believe the official terminology is “Metroidvanialike”

• Ben Barrett says:

To be honest, I’d like to have used “like wot was in dat Metroid fing, innit”

• misterT0AST says:

I prefer “lane pushing Roguelite”.

• Philotic Symmetrist says:

Metroidvanialike would actually be progress of sorts, we can then eventually shorten it back to Metroidlike which is what it really is; Castlevania was the first adopter of the mechanics but all the relevant elements existed in Metroid. Originally Metroidvania was actually the term to describe specifically a Castlevania game in the Metroid style.

tumbleworld says:

“You dare fight MEEE? AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA.”

Certainly looks convincingly Stridery. Now if there’s an “arthritic old duffer” difficulty setting, I’ll be a happy, erm, arthritic old duffer.

• Geebs says:

The ST version never gave you any backstory, so I used to find it impossible not to read the bit in the introduction where it goes “come, Hiryu” in a Scottish accent.

5. tasteful says:

his legend is definitely not unrivaled. it is quite easily rivaled.

6. Jalan says:

I kept thinking this was a PC port of a 10+ year old PS2 game until I realized I was confusing Shinobi with Strider.

None of that matters though as I want my Legend of Kage remake, dammit!

7. Nate says:

Getting good reviews elsewhere, and Strider was a game I lost a lot of quarters to. Think I’ll give it a shot. It better do funky things with gravity or I’ll be disappoint.

8. Totally heterosexual says:

I have it and it’s good. A bit easy though, so you might wanna play on SPECIAL A CLASS difficulty.

Hiryu is baaaaaaaack.

9. Shooop says:

I’m not too keen on all the black in those graphics from the video. Strider was one of the better-looking sprite-based games, it was very bright and colorful.

This looks too much like Earth after the machines take over in The Matrix. Give us some color!