Soothing Breeze: Windborne Early Access

By Ben Barrett on February 19th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Totes adorbs quota: met.

When we first posted about Windborne, Jim commented on what a departure from Hidden Path’s usual fare it was. Social sandboxing is far enough from their bang-bang, pew-pew norm, but the tone is perhaps the biggest change. It’s tranquil in the extreme, expanding the theme of creation and peaceful co-habitation to encompass not only the mechanics but the world as well. They’ve taken the Early Access plunge and I’ve never felt calmer watching a trailer. I’m slightly worried I dreamed the whole experience. Am I even awake now? As a test, check it out below.

Could this be the fabled loveliest game? It certainly has all the soothingly deep-voiced hallmarks. A closer look will have to be taken to identify how much cuddly meat there is on its rose-scented bones, but given there’s all this plus dragons, I can already feel my stoney heart melting. Confession: I have trouble deciding if my favourite thing is dragons or video games, but combining them is basically the cheat code for my attention. You can grab it now, if you like, with optional DLC (yeah, for an early access game) for that sweet, sweet guaranteed dragon among other extras.

, .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Noviere says:

I am starting to think Early Access isn’t for me… I feel that by playing most of these games so early in the development cycle, I will have lost interest in them by the time they are actually finished being made.

That said, I’m looking forward to reading more in-depth impressions. It does look quite lovely.

• SillyWizard says:

Different developers do it different ways. Door Kickers and Infested Planet update regularly, adding great new features to steadily improve upon solidly playable games from the outset. Steam Marines…after dabbling in it a bit, I’m going to wait until it’s done.

I buy in to Early Access for games that represent an idea that I’d like to see come to fruition. If they fail, that’s fine: at least they tried something new, and I was able to help in their attempt.

If something like, say, The Banner Saga had gone Early Access, I would have been really torn about my desire to play and being worried over spoilers. Some games are just more suited to the system than others.

2. Geebs says:

I got sent a before-early-access version of this on the basis that I backed defense grid 2, which was not terribly logical. It’s kinda Minecraft + marching cubes – any point.

On the other hand I might have been a bit unfairly dismissive of it because what I would rather have had was, y’know, defense grid 2

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

Yeah, I was all, “Hidden Path e-mail?! Def…wuh?”. It was a fun little prototype/alpha thingamajig, though.

3. hap says:

Early Access game with early access DLC? I just threw up in my mouth. That’s worse than launch day DLC!

4. Cik says:

Minecraft with less edges and significantly less modding, etc. Yay?

5. Cryptoshrimp says:

I’m so excited for this – the before-early access thingie was shaping up to me good, but they’ve improved it a lot in the meanwhile. I dunno how much they’ll update it – they weren’t so keep on actually developing the pre-Access build as much as they were to build hype.

Anyway, looks great, plays great, bit rough around the edges and UI.