Finally: Square Realizes Final Fantasies Should Be On PC

By Nathan Grayson on February 20th, 2014 at 11:00 am.

Is that a gun? I'm pretty sure that's supposed to be a gun.

The PC is not entirely bereft of Big Hair And Superfluous Zippers: The Neverending (Candy) Saga, which is sometimes colloquially referred to as “Final Fantasy.” The series’ MMO entries, FFXI and FFXIV, got their starts here, and PlayStation One classics FFVII and FFVIII recently received refurbished Steam ports. That majority of numbered Final Fantasy games, however, have stuck to the realm of buttons, thumbsticks, and cameras that have yet to change gaming in any meaningful way. But that might be changing sooner rather than later. Very late to the party but nonetheless welcome, Square Enix has finally realized that maybe people kinda like playing games on their PCs after all.

Speaking with Eurogamer, Final Fantasy producer Yoshinori Kitase explained his company’s renewed interest in PC:

“Let’s not forget, when we developed the Final Fantasy 13 series, all three titles, at the early stages of development we were working on PC. Then we had to port it to the consoles. As far as the technology is concerned, it would have been possible for us to make a PC version, but we decided against it for two reasons: we looked at the market situation and we didn’t think it would be a good idea, and also it would have involved lots of complex issues like security. So we decided not to do it this time around.”

“But we see potential in it and there are lots of regions and countries where PC is very strong. So in terms of our hope of being able to deliver our games to every single country in the world and to as many gamers as possible, yes, we would definitely be interested in pursuing that route in the future.”

He further cited great success with the Steam versions of FFVII and FFVIII as positive signs, but having toes in the water doesn’t make for a cannon ball. Kitase admitted that there’s still much work to be done on Square’s end if they want to get it right.

Still though, this is encouraging news for people who like these sorts of games (can’t say I do anymore, but that doesn’t mean I never did), and who knows? Maybe we’ll see Final Fantasy XV on PC before it’s all said and done. Or perhaps we won’t because that game has been in development since the Dawn of the First Age of Man, and it’s had more reinventions and name-changes than an aging, drug-addled hip-hop star.

Now if we could get a version of Bravely Default on PC, well, that would be something.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. golem09 says:

Get ready for FFXV, 50GB steam installation with 30GB 1080p cutscenes.

What I would prefer though would be Dragon’s Dogma.

• unangbangkay says:

You’ll be waiting a while, then. Dragon’s Dogma is a Capcom-published game, and of the major Japanese publishing powers they’ve shown the least overall interest in being big on PCs, outside of occasionally tossing out a fighting game port or two.

• Philomelle says:

…did you somehow miss Remember Me, Resident Evil 4HD, 5, 6 and Revelations, Dead Rising 2 + Off The Record, DmC: Devil May Cry, DuckTales Remastered, Dungeons & Dragons: Chronicles of Mystara HD, Lost Planet 1-3, Dark Void, Bionic Commando + Remastered and the yesterday released Strider? What about their indie offerings, like eXceed, Fairy Bloom Freesia and Cherry Tree High Comedy Club?

Honestly, the confusing thing about Dragon’s Dogma is that it’s the only recent Capcom game that hasn’t been released on PC despite having art design and gameplay paradigms one would normally expect to sell well on this platform.

• Wedge says:

Hey don’t forget Resident Evil Operation Raccoon City! Errr… nevermind… I guess you can forget that. But yeah they have 33 games published on Steam right now, oddly including the presumably-as-awful-as-DMC3-and-RE4 port of Onimusha 3 I did not know existed.

• swimming anime says:

dragon’s dogma is a part of the very loose genre of japanese action rpgs set in western or alternative fantasy settings that includes monster hunter, dark souls, and also phantasy star (despite that being future-y) . dark souls and DS2 have their pc versions but thats sort of a first for the genre. release of these games outside of japan and outside of consoles is very spotty but i’m sure we’ll see more in the future as these games continue to grow in popularity

• Scrooge McDuck says:

Capcom is actually the most PC-friendly big Japanese publisher apart from Sega and the quality of all their port after DMC4 has been fantastic.

• Philomelle says:

FFXV is an open-world game with realistic scaling. The reason why it was originally developed as a spin-off title was because some moron in marketing freaked out about how it’s open-worldness and skill-driven gameplay (more similar to its director’s work on later Kingdom Hearts games) would spook the young fans who only bought it to stare at the male leads’ sexy abs and female leads’ fashionable clothing. So they nerfed it from FF13 to a spin-off and began to develop the FF13 we got in the end, which was endless cutscene central (with some interesting ideas in the combat system that were sadly never taken all the way).

So no, FF15 will be considerably less cutscenes than the previous game. The development team, project leaders and design goals are completely different.

Note: FF13 did have a good story and the sequels actually did turn out marvelous, so in the end, I’m glad it happened. I just wish the original game didn’t fall prey to that marketing team’s obsession with cutscenes.

• golem09 says:

EVERY Final Fantasy had fantastic and huge cutscenes (talking about the FMVs, not the ingame stuff). It was ok, being delivered on discs, and for the PS4 release square will surely ship them with just enough to compression to fill the 50GB, no matter how many cutscenes there are. I’m just worried that they’ll simply do the same for the PC release, ship the game on bluray, and just make the steam download the same size.
        Of course they could still ship on DVDs, then it would probably be smaller. Unless they decide that the game has to downlaod 20GB of cutscenes AFTER the dvd install. I think all of this is possible.

btw, I loved the FMVs in XIII, very lovely to look at. I wouldn’t want to miss them, but at the same time I would hate spending 65 hours to download it from steam (That would be my actual internetspeed)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Sorry but, what if a lot of the cutscenes are rendered in real time? It’s most definitely doable and it happened both in 13 ( yes, i played that crap ) and in 10. I’m skipping the earlier games for logical reasons. They just need to use more of them, which might be a new design prospect moving to the next gen consoles

They will never drop their FMV, but as long as such movies are the minority, we’re golden.

I think people are still sort of scared another Metal Gear Rising could happen, in which the cutscenes could have easily been made real time and they would have looked far better and smoother ( on PC ), while keeping the install size less than 10GB. Platinum did that with Bayonetta, using just very few video files, i still don’t get why they couldn’t do the same.

Eitherway, real time cutscenes are the future, just look at Crysis 3.

• golem09 says:

It will have real time cutscenes, yes, but I WANT those extraordinarily beautiful FMVs. Thing is, the size of those is only a matter of choice, no matter how many of them there are. Even 20 minutes of FMVs would be beyond the scope of a bluray when you don’t use compression, so how much of that disc they fill is totally up to the them. Which leads to the question about downloadsize.

• Gallimaufry says:

Yes, Dragon’s Dogma would be absolutely amazing, but as unangbangkay said, I think’s that rather unlikely.
      More Final Fantasy on PC is a good thing though.

• Barnox says:

I’d go more “moderately unlikely”. We should kick up more fuss.
        Dark Souls got ported, Dragons Dogma is just as fantastic and we should try get it here too.

• Shooop says:

Yes. Yes! Dragon’s Dogma would have been great on PC.

• Mokinokaro says:

It’s even running on MT Framework (Capcom’s in house engine) which means it was basically made to run on PCs and then ported over to consoles. DMC 4 used this engine which is why it ran great on PC.

My guess is Capcom didn’t want to set up pawn servers for PC.

2. Rao Dao Zao says:

I remember watching a trailer for FFXIII in a shop once. It looked like an amazing film, shame I never got the cinema to see it.

• AngelTear says:

Square Enix has got amazing CGI technology, possibly the best of any developer, which is why they made 2 films called “final Fantasy”, only one of which has something to do with actual FF games.

I can’t really say they’re good films (although “Spirits Within” wasn’t bad either), but visually they’re absolutely stunning.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Yeah, I was only being a little bit sarcastic. I’ve never played an FF game in my life before but I rather enjoyed Spirits Within.

• Jinoru says:

You mean that movie that everyone said HL2′s characters looked better?

I actually own the Spirits within DVD just so you know. Good graphics for sure. I enjoyed Advent Children a bit more though, just for its graphics.

3. XhomeB says:

Should we care, however? The only *somewhat good* FFs were released during SNES and PS1 days (FFVI, VII and IX) – every other installment in this series either was crap (FFI-V, XII) or childish, ludicrously poorly written, flat out insulting everyone’s intelligence crap (FFVIII, FFX, XIII).
    I’m hearing Bravely Deafult is rather good, so here’s hoping it gets ported to non-handheld platforms.

• Bury The Hammer says:

FF5 is actually my favourite. It’s not very well-known outside Japan though. But its job system is one of the more complex and customisable (and thus most satisfyingly strategic) in the series. It’s also really bloody hard at points.

The storyline is still hilariously bad and stumbles into every trope going, but I love the rest of the game.

• Schiraman says:

Yeah, FFV is awesome. I really enjoyed it and I love the job system – I’d love to see something similar in a new FF game.

I think XhomeB is being harsh about the series in general though: I enjoyed X and XII, although they’re both very flawed.

VIII was rubbish though, I agree, and XIII was the first FF game I actively hated.

• Tacroy says:

You should try Bravely Default for the 3DS, it’s got a job system that I’ve heard is similar to FFV.

• Mokinokaro says:

Bravely Default is a giant love letter to the old school Final Fantasy games.

It’s got a tweaked job system, a fairly light plot with decent if flat characters, world exploration. Heck, it’s even got a plot revolving around magic crystals.

That being said, don’t go into it for the plot. It’s not a terrible story, but it’s very light like the games of old with the focus being on gameplay.

• iviv says:

This is what makes me sad about FF X-2. It replicates the amazing job system of FFV, even improving it slightly with the ability to switch jobs mid-battle, and even giving you bonuses for switching between certain ones in a certain order, which gave an extra layer of strategy into the battle system.

Unfortunately, the job system is the only redeeming feature about the game. Which sucks because it’s easily my favourite system used in any FF game.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

FF5 is grindy as all hell but it’s really good as a portable game nowadays.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Aaaaand 4 to some degree, Amano being heavily involved and all that stuff.

• Keyrock says:

FF5 is terrific. I consider it to be the second best installment in the series.

• Zekiel says:

I really enjoyed FFX (the only one I’ve played, apart from X-2). Sure it’s not perfect, but they created an interesting world, solid gameplay, an interesting story, some fun (if not particularly original) characters, and they had a main character who actually had a character arc – something that is depressingly rare in videogames. And obviously awesome cutscenes. I’d love to replay it on the PC.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Not sure why it took them so long to realise there might actually be a PC market for these games. VII and VIII were possibly the first examples of something we are seeing a whole lot of over the last few years. A publisher/developer releasing a terrible PC port then blaming lack of interest and piracy for poor sales.

• XhomeB says:

“I enjoyed X a lot, VIII also. Don’t worry OP is just another one of those internet people presenting his opinion as fact, nothing new here.”

Heaven forbid people express their opinions on internet forums or in the comment sections on RPS.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

It’s the manner in which you did it. As if to make out that anyone who liked the FF instalments you didn’t must enjoy “ludicrous, childish. intelligence insulting” games. Which is just absolute drivel tbh.

Every single FF game has a hammy, cliche plot. That’s part of the appeal of them for a lot of people.

• SillyWizard says:

Having also enjoyed FFX a great deal, I still do not particularly want this series further polluting PCs. Mostly because I don’t want FFs to continue being made: FFX was an aberration; the only other “good” FFs were pre-VII (seriously, fuck that game).

Unless Squeenix wants to do a fancy remake of FF6 with pretty graphics and a more fully fleshed-out multiple-party system, in which case yes, take my money, please. Otherwise: eat a dick, Squeenix.

• protowizard says:

More of then than not though even the flawed Final Fantasy games have something that makes up for it, although I grant you that II, III, and XIII are dire rubbish and should be ignored. The games with the worse stories tend to have an interesting, fun or easy to abuse battle system, and in VIII’s favour, it had triple triad too.

4. Hypnotron says:

Hey Sony, hey Microsoft! How much will you pay us to not put FinalFantasy MCXVII on steam?

5. Artea says:

While Japanese devs taking more of an interest in PC gaming is always welcome, I can’t say I ever cared for the Final Fantasies. I always thought they were some of the worst jRPG’s ever made, yet they’re always held up as the pinnacle of the genre.

• Raiyan 1.0 says:

While I doubt it’ll be nearly as great as FF IX and Tactics, I’m intrigued by the prospect of FFXV on the PC.

Edit: Sorry, wrong response.

• LVX156 says:

Did you somehow miss FFIV, VI and VII? And I can’t wait for X/X-2 HD, because I’ve never played those two.

• Artea says:

I played them and I thought they were all mediocre. And these are apparently the best of the series.

• AngelTear says:

I played them, and I loved them :D
          FFX was the first FF I played, and if I could marry it I would. FFX-2 is not as good, but when you’ve got your heart broken by FFX’s plot and all you want is to make the world right again, you won’t care, you’ll love it nevertheless.

• Philomelle says:

Have you considered that it’s a matter of taste, not the franchise being overwhelmingly bad and not worth for anyone to care about it? Because different people have different tastes.

I loved VI, VIII and XII throughout (though apparently I loved VIII for different reasons other people did). I enjoyed VII and X’s lore, but couldn’t stand the main characters and combat; conversely, I loved IX’s characters but thought the overarching plot merely slugged along. V had a good combat system with a plot that enjoyed not taking itself seirously at any point. IV was arguably my least favorite in the series for a long list of reasons.

Right now I’m playing XIV and it’s marvelous! It’s the only MMO that truly grabbed my attention in two years, with decent writing, amazing world-building and surprisingly smooth gameplay.

But all these are merely opinions of mine. Different people have different Final Fantasies who are their one and only true love, something you learn to respect after being in the fandom for a while. The lack of respect for that is kind of why everyone else in the fandom facepalms whenever FF7 comes up for discussion; the only more insufferable people you’ll find in JRPG fandom are Xenogears fans.

• Jenks says:

” The lack of respect for that is kind of why everyone else in the fandom facepalms whenever FF7 comes up for discussion”

Just hipsters and contrarians

• SillyWizard says:

FUCKIN XENOGEARS SON!

• Eight Rooks says:

They’re hardly the worst – even at their most nauseatingly saccharine they’re at least visually appealing comfort food, which is a million miles away from rubbish like Reiseleid: Ephemeral Fantasia. The only Final Fantasy games worth getting excited about are XII, Tactics and possibly TA2… but the others are far from the bottom of the barrel.

• tnzk says:

A select few Final Fantasies are held as the pinnacle of the genre. The rest are merely good to great, and the Final Fantasy XIII trilogy is just straight up mediocre.

But for some of the worst JRPGs ever made, not even FFXIII can hold a candle to them. All those pathetic JRPGs at the start of the Xbox 360′s life cycle were just appalling in almost every way. Then there’s the library of shit on the PS2 lol.

• Stardreamer says:

I reached a point with Japanese entertainment product a while ago, where the effort to constantly decode their cutlural behavioural norms, plus the psychotic reliance on cliched, heavily stereotyped character design, outweighed any benefit from what I was watching/playing. JRPGs are certainly not for me.

I would love to see a PC version of Dragons Dogma, though. My GF bought this and played the crap out of it, making me decidedly jealous of it in the process. What a beautiful game! Why is it not on PC???

• MadTinkerer says:

Some jRPGs are written better than others, and just like in our culture, sometimes things get popular in spite of being badly written messes, and others languish in obscurity despite being the best examples of what they are.

In the West, Cowboy Bebop is considered one of the all-time greatest Anime series of all time. But in it’s home country, it was only just popular enough to get one season and one movie, and it’s been mostly forgotten.

• Stardreamer says:

This…does not please me. Bebop is one of the very few I still treasure!

But it just confirms my feelings that the Japanese and I will see eye to eye only very rarely.

• Wisq says:

I haven’t played a FF since FF12, and haven’t finished one since FFX, but from what I’ve heard of the FF gossip from TotalBiscuit and Jesse Cox, the FF series is in the dumps for the long haul. The Lightning character is highly popular in Japan and is the pet character of one of the writers, so she may end up being included in a lot of future games, yet western audiences tend to find her utterly devoid of any character and a bore to have around. (Granted, I have no idea about the sample size on the latter.)

I can appreciate that “more Japanese games on PC” is usually a positive trend, but I suspect this is one of the least positive of the possibilities.

• MisterFurious says:

I’ve played half of them and VII is the only one that I genuinely like. The rest were OK to Not Very Good. I do think it’s a very overrated series. I don’t even argue with people that say VII is an overrated game, as much as I like it.

• MadTinkerer says:

My personal favorite is the horribly underrated XII. The (good) plot is stretched out a bit, but it has the best combat, the best character ability development system, great character design, and spectacular world design. My least favorite after XIII (which deserved all the scorn it got due to barely being a game) would be X, which was, of course, made by most of the same team. I understand why some like X, but I also suspect that most people who do enjoy X never played any of the other FF games first.

6. Scumbag says:

Long, long ago, before anyone was born, Square hinted at FF IX being ported on some websites. I was happy.
    It did not happen.
    Now PC is a happy town the Japanese can live in it needs to happen.
    I am not asking, this must happen.
    I know where you live SquareEnixy people.

• MadTinkerer says:

I gave up and bought and beat the console version of FF9 ages ago. But I’d still get a PC port of FF9 if they don’t fuck around with DRM.

7. LVX156 says:

Finally! I love jRPGs and have for a very long time, and it’s been so frustrating that I can’t play them on my computer.

• AngelTear says:

Honestly, when I made my transition from Playstation (1, 2 and 3) to PC, while I enjoyed many many aspects of it and I don’t regret it, I was somewhat confused by the absence of most of the Japanese games I used to look forward to on console. A lot of the games I loved the most were Japanese, and they weren’t on PC, not even somewhat similar games, it was as if there was this weird disconnect, and a significant part of my gaming world didn’t exist on PC-land. I’m glad more Japanese devs are making their way on PC (From Software a few years ago, DMC and Metal Gear more recently, now possibly Square Enix)

8. phenom_x8 says:

Grown up with the memories of final fantasy 7, 8 and 9 are sure make me pretty glad to hear it comes to PC natively(I played them all on my PSX, btw). On my pre teen era, it surely introduce me to the great world of genre called RPG (after misinterpreting legend of legaia as turn based action game) Comparing them with PC RPG of that era of course were quite unfair due to difference of their target audience.
    But, there’s one that quite close with PC RPG in term of theme, atmosphere and gameplay mechanic which is Final Fantasy XII. Sadly, not very great after XII because its looks like console RPG player arent quite ready with the change towards more complexity than they used to be so that makes FF XIII like what we know today
    my wish that FF XII get a proper PC port from Square Enix, so I can finally finished it this time (only played it on my nephews PS 2 back at the time)

• LVX156 says:

“its looks like console RPG player arent quite ready with the change towards more complexity than they used to be so that makes FF XIII like what we know today”

You obviously haven’t played Resonance of Fate…

9. Noviere says:

I have never finished a Final Fantasy(though I’ve only ever played 4 on the DS, 7, 10, and 12)… Or any JRPG, to be honest. I always get to a point where there is a huge area filled with the same fight copy and pasted every few feet, and the tedium just drives me away forever. The closest I came to finishing one was FFX — I made it to Sin at the very end, but my disc was defective so it would lock up at the same point every time.

That said, I’d love to see more Japanese developers release on the PC.

• Eight Rooks says:

So I guess you don’t play many Western RPGs either? :rimshot:

• Rovac says:

I don’t know. It might be Sony doesn’t want to pay for shitty games.
        (haven’t played the last one but watching a let’s play of it is enough)

10. dE says:

I must admit I do not much care for the current Final Fantasy Installments. For a series that’s all about characters, it has some of the most spectacularly unlikeable characters I’ve seen in a pretty long time. Even Navi of Zelda fame did not grate my nerves as hard as Hope did. Super KAWAII (or however the hell you write that) Focus Group Schoolgirl Style Vanille made me want to punch a wall.
    It has reached a point where even Square Enix basically admits their current universe has failed. FF13: Lightning returns has Chocobos look like Brasilian Carnival dancers (http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Chocolina) and took perhaps the only semi redeemable character and transformed her into a Waifu dress up doll for Creeps. Seriously, some costumes are just there to double her breastsize, others have her run around in underwear.

For clarification: I played FF13, Did not play FF13-2, Only watched a bit of Let’s Play for FF13 Lightning Returns. I’ve however read reviews for all of them.

• AngelTear says:

Having played all the Single Player FF from 7 to 13, I can assure you the quality of the writing plummeted at 13. I felt as if a good writer wrote the overall narrative arc and then passed those ideas to a bad writer, who wrote the script, and made the characters all too obvious and two-dimensional, only interested in one thing to the point of obsession. Lightning was kinda cool, and so was Sazh, but I hated Hope, and I hated Snow and I didn’t really like Vanille either.

I think, unless you play them with cynical eyes, you’ll enjoy the writing in episodes 7 to 10 a whole lot more. (I often feel like those who didn’t like the plot in those episodes couldn’t suspend their disbelief, but whether it’s their fault or the game’s fault is still arguable)

• Philomelle says:

FF13 uses Fabula Nova Crystallis, which is a very large, comprehensive mythology designed by a group of writers to be used across multiple games. So that observation isn’t inaccurate, because the lore and mythos of Fabula Nova Crystallis are amazing. What individual writers of specific games do with them is another question.

So far, FF13, the only other released game to use FNC is Type:0 on PSP. I haven’t played it due to language restrictions, but friends did and they say it’s a much grittier, steampunk-ish take on the same mythology, more in line with FFT and FF6. FF15 will also use it and it already has interesting takes on it.

FF13 itself… like I said above, I think the overall plot is amazing. The actual writing is back-and-forth; Lightning and Sazh were great, but everyone else was mostly insufferable. Lightning seems to actually shed layers as they try to add more to her, while Sazh was written out of later games almost entirely (presumably because writing his layer-ness was too hard on the poor writer).

• dE says:

That’s actually a good point. Coming from the point of view of a hobby novelist, one of the first things I’ve learned is that every writer loves world building and every editor loves character driven stories. It’s when these two engage in mortal kombat that a story is made. It seems that they’ve had no Editor in place to push them from world building into a character driven narrative. But I actually feel like the problem with the characters in 13 is a conceptual one.

MINOR SPOILER TERRITORY AFTER THIS POINT. DO NOT READ AFTER THIS POINT IF YOU HAVE ANY INTEREST IN PLAYING 13. SPOILER. THAT ENOUGH SPOILER WARNING?

The way the characters gained their Summons is the conceptual flaw in my opinion. A battle with them was activated at the lowest point in the life of a l’Cie, when they had lost all hope. The battle would re-assert that and grant them superpowers in return. Sounds like a good idea on paper but I feel like it dictated the pace of the overall story too much. Because that essentially meant, until each and every character had their Revelation, they were all a bunch of depressed apathic figures just trundling along some plot without ever having any motivation whatsoever. They couldn’t have or else their Eidolon Trigger wouldn’t have happened. But naturally every character had to have their own cool (silly) summon.
        Thanks to this, the story could not be character driven until very late into the game and by then there was no place anymore for the hallmark character developments of earlier Final Fantasy Games, plus they then decided to open up the world. So you had a bunch of characters that were really hard to relate to, a plot that seemed completely detached from you as a player and a world that suddenly opened up with no direction to go. This time for the player. I guess my personal Eidolon activated and made me stop playing after a few more hours. They shot themselves in the foot with that one. That’s my theory. That or the editor thing.

• Philomelle says:

The silly transformer robot Eidolons happened because the art team was experimenting with 13′s futuristic setting, designed some transformable robots and decided they’re the best thing since sliced bread. Both the combat and writing teams were dead against them, but the art team convinced marketers that these Eidolons would make cool action figures and so they were surgically implanted onto the game despite the pain and the screaming.

This eventually came out in one of the data books, if I’m not mistaken. So yes, you’re right that Eidolons made no sense and everyone on the development team except the artists and marketers agreed with you.

• Keyrock says:

I personally think the series peaked at FFVI, though several great games still followed. For me the watershed moment was FFX-2. I know a lot of people really like that game, but I thought it was pretty mediocre. I consider FFX to be the last truly great game in the series. With FFXII the slide downward continued and with FFXIII the series completely fell off a cliff in terms of quality.

11. jezcentral says:

Yes, yes, but the big question remains: will it be released on Windows or SteamOS?

12. Utsunomiya says:

I’m actually okay with this. Heck, I’d even buy it.

13. Yglorba says:

My real question is this: Why haven’t they slapped together emulated versions of FF1 through FF6 and put them on Steam? They could even offer all the various remakes of FF1-FF4 that have been released at various times.

I can play all of them on my PC, right now — but not legally. Why on earth not? It’s not like there’s some console market for those games to disrupt right now, and it’s hard to believe getting them emulated on the PC would be that difficult given that all sorts of emulators already exist. Those games are classics that could continue to pull in decent sales for, well, forever on the PC with little or no further investment, or which could be put together with newer games in overpriced bundle packs — the same things PC games now do with older installments.

• pepperfez says:

For the pre-PS games at least, emulation is so easy and full-featured (save states, fast forward, graphics filters…) that they would be selling something inferior to the free versions.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Even PS1 era games are easily emulated. I played 9 via emulator last year and it looked way better than the original due to cranked up resolution etc. Also unless I’m wrong (in response to the OP) there is no translations available for the first 3 games, probably meaning more work from them than it’s worth to release it on PC.

14. Keyrock says:

I’m down with Final Fantasy games coming to PC as long as Squeenix promises to stop making games in the crappy XIII series and stops trying to shove the cardboard cutout of a character called Lightning down our throats.

15. HisMastersVoice says:

Any sign of PC recognition coming from Japanese devs is nice. Shame the last FF is apparently horrible. Not that I’d be able to tell a good FF from a bad FF, never played any…

16. RProxyOnly says:

There’s two reasons why they are willing to do this.

1) They don’t sell as many as they used to.

2) Even if they did, the ps exclusive market is now too small to support such a bloated franchise. It costs so much now to make even one of these games that they have to open it up to another platform.

I’m just surprised it isn’t going on the Xbox180 instead.. and that alone says a hell of a lot about the stability of the console market Vs the PC market.

• AngelTear says:

Their last titles (starting from XIII) were already on the Xbox360 as well as PS3, so I think they simply want to be on all consoles AND Pc, possibly after seeing how profitable it is for other Japanese companies who have finally done the same.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Also possibly they’ve had good reaction from the re-releases of 7 and 8 and that’s also given them the idea that there is money to be made.

17. Bull0 says:

Well, the PC ports of FFVII and FFVIII are dodgy, with badly compressed FMVs and lower quality music. And that statement of “We didn’t pursue FF13 on PC even though it was right there because we believe the lies about games selling badly on PC and piracy destroying sales but hey, never say never, right?” is about the last thing I can picture ever getting excited about.

• tyren says:

Yeah, it would’ve been great if they’d actually done a straight port of the PSX versions, but that would’ve required some actual effort when they’ve got the data for inferior PC ports from 15 years ago just sitting there.

I heard they patched the FF7 port and improved things, but I’ve yet to look into that myself.

18. WhatKateDoes says:

What’s a superfluous zip?

Actually.. never mind… my boots have 2 zips each.. one on the outside looking all shiny and stuff but not functional… but another one on the inside all dark and hidey and stuff that actually is used to help get the damn things on and off.

19. Shooop says:

A game series in which the games play themselves is coming to PC!

How droll.

20. MadTinkerer says:

To be fair, they already made a game specifically designed to be released on console and PC (almost) simultaneously. It’s a pretty neat hardcore RPG / tactical wargame hybrid that’s very much kind of a bit like HOMM crossed with your good Squeenix RPGs. It even used the Unreal Engine instead of whatever in-house engine Squeenix uses for the FF series, so that they could port it faster.

And then nobody bought The Last Remnant except me.

• SkittleDiddler says:

I bought The Last Remnant. I found it so awful that it virtually ruined any appreciation for JRPGs I had held up to that point.

• Jenks says:

I bought it and loved it, it’s one of my favorite JRPGs from the past 10 years and far better than any of the FFXIII games.

21. DanMan says:

The way they mentioned “security” rings alarm bells in my head. And that hurts. How did they even get in there?

• Gvaz says:

It’s the 90s/2000s. They still think DRM matters. It’s adorable.

22. Tei says:

Every day, theres 1 person I have to beat, one person that I want to one up.
    And that person is myself.

23. Rockman says:

The tone of this article is excellent and should be applied to all circumstances where console devs suddenly realise that it might be worth including PC in their release plans

24. TheTourist314 says:

You know, FF7 and FF8 were released on PC back in the 2000s. Published by Eidos, I still have those giant boxes on my shelf.

25. drvoke says:

Its a shame the last FF game I enjoyed was made in 99 or thereabouts (FF9), I dont have any hopes for the series future. If they bring back the world map and ATBs, then I’ll perk up. Until then.. back to pSX and pcsx2 for my traditional JRPG experiences…

26. Lemming says:

FF9 is the only one they’ll get a penny out of me for, save for possibly the first 6.

27. Drinking with Skeletons says:

Alright Square:

1) Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions. It’s on every other platform these days, why the fuck not?

2) Final Fantasy IX, cause it’s awesome.

3) Final Fantasy XII International, because Goddammit Square, you made every change I wanted to the base game and didn’t release it outside Japan.

28. Misha says:

Only thing I can say is that Final Fantasy is the main reason that I took the PS route back when the Xboner consoles hit the market. Or I should say STAYED with PS. I love the way the JRPGs manage to write a story that’s worth getting into and makes you care about the characters, even if the dialogue is, at times, “weird” by western standards. But it captivates me every time.

The only traditional “western” ones that got me that way were SWKOTOR and Mass Effect (and kindly spare me the adolescent crying about how you didn’t like the ending of III. Wake up and smell the coffee. Sometimes life sucks and you can’t have the princess riding into the sunset at the end.).

If Square is going to start porting to the PC platform, then they’ll get a lot of my money.

• jrodman says:

Carrying on an argument while claiming you want it over with seems pretty adolescent.

29. rpsKman says:

If their PC versions are going to be as shit as FF8, they can keep them.

30. Gvaz says:

Now if they would only didn’t throw their low-tier shit at us in order to turn a profit and then get pissy when it doesn’t sell very well.