Hard To Read: Book of Unwritten Tales 2

By Ben Barrett on February 20th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Way back in the mists of 2011, when the world was newly formed and virgin to such ideas as “crowd funding” “early access” and “XBOX One”, our very own John Walker gave his honest thoughts on The Book of Unwritten Tales. Despite translation flaws, his younger self enjoyed it, summing up with “An adventure this long is such a rare treat. One this enjoyable at the same time is almost unheard of.” Now developers King Art have returned to the series, after various departures, with a Kickstarter. The twist is that their game is already funded and slated for an early 2015 release. What this money is for is to improve it, a task usually left to stretch goals and bonus rewards. Their hilarious kickstarter video and some details on how it’s going are below.

The comedic style and charming characters impacted well with the general internet, hitting their funding goal quickly. To be expected when the spin-off of the original game, while a step back in puzzle design, caused John to state “despite it all, I haven’t laughed out loud along with a game this many times since Portal 2.” Humour of this calibre is sadly so very rare, but King Art had enough to produce a couple more videos with further information:

It’s interesting to me that adventure games are still proving to be some of the most successful Kickstarters around, particularly when backed by pre-existing fanbases for games or developers. I had assumed that the ever-blooming money tree would prove false for the genre, along with space-simulators and “fuck you” survival games, but as yet it has not run out. Of course, more games is always good and while I’ve never touched the originals, what’s displayed here and the delight with which John reviewed them makes it mighty tempting. You can grab both on Steam if you’re feeling the same and want a taste of what’s to come.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. FurryLippedSquid says:

I absolutely loved the first game, despite a shakily cheesy first hour or two.

Can’t wait for this.

2. XhomeB says:

Loved the original, backing the sequel is a no-brainer.

By the way, KING Art released their Kickstarter project – Battle Worlds: Kronos – a while ago. It’s a shame we’ve never gotten a WOT of it, because it’s really good (the story sucked, but who cares, well thought out gameplay mechanics more than made up for it).

3. seamoss says:

Appropriately enough, the new Humble Weekly Sale features the Adventure Company and Friends and includes The Book of Unwritten Tales plus some other good adventure games. Great deal!

• jarowdowsky says:

Gah, beat me to it

• Armante says:

Ditto. Great sale if you want to test the waters. I guess a sale like this helps them raise funds from old games to put into their new one.

In case you’re too lazy to click through, the bundle includes 12 games:

Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within
      Deponia
      Edna & Harvey: The Breakout

Paying $15+
      The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief Digital Deluxe Edition

4. jarowdowsky says:

They just hit the humble bundle :)

5. Jac says:

Picked the original up in a recent steam sale after never having heard of it before and then finding the RPS review that somehow passed me by pushed me into giving it a shot. Really enjoying it so far.

Some of my first pc games as a nip were Sam and max and day of the tentacle and this, whilst not quite in the same league, is the first game that has evoked anywhere near the (possibly purely nostalgic) joy I remember having playing those. Granted I haven’t actually played that many newer adventure titles but the ones I have just didn’t have whatever “it” this game seems to have.

Happy to hear this news.

6. Hunchback says:

Probably the best pitch video ever :D

7. caff says:

G-Sync does interest me, but I’d want a faster card and a large monitor/TV to back it up – where are those?

8. rpollestad says:

For everyone looking to pick up the original, either because of the above review or the humble sale, just be aware that the original game (not sure about the critter chronicles prequel) does not work with SLI enabled. It also won’t work if you just create an SLI-disabled game profile. It has to be disabled system-wide or you can’t get past the main menu. Extremely aggravating. (This issue plagues all copies of the game, either from Steam or from GOG.)

I wound up creating an XP VM in order to play the game without having to change my SLI settings every single time.

• MellowKrogoth says:

Yeah… shows how developing for PC is a nightmare compared to consoles, small devs just don’t have the resource to test in all possible scenarios. If only the consoles weren’t such a closed environment.

9. satan says:

I’ve backed/bought so many adventure games that I haven’t got around to playing, I think I need help.

Comment on this story