Sacred 3 To Begin Angelically Headchopping This Summer

By John Walker on February 20th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

After 2012′s peculiar diversion into side-scrolling beat-em-up territory, the long-awaited Sacred 3 is finally properly announced, and due to reach us in the Summer months. And this time out, the emphasis is on co-op.

Remy van Leeuwen, who is a “brand manager”, says,

“The paramount development goal for Sacred 3 has been to create a seamless online and offline co-op experience. By creating a game built around the central concept of co-op gameplay, we’re expanding the series to new audiences without compromising the rich lore and fantasy of the Sacred universe.”

Pesky other people in my game! I hope the “offline” in that sentence means I can reliably play the game in the greatest company of all: on my own. However, for the less misanthropic, you can play with up to three others in the online co-op, and a single other in the offline.

This time out the angelic gang of Seraphim, Ancarian, Khukuhru and the Safiri are joined by the Malakhim.

What I love best about the announcement, and this ridiculous CGI trailer, is that there’s no attempt to boast of an innovative or life-changing new storyline. Just, “More hitting stuff!” I approve of this message.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Schiraman says:

Hmm, I’m all for co-op and hitting stuff – but why is the offline co-op 2-player only? Are they really limiting LAN-play to 2 players, or is this a split-screen mode or something?

• golem09 says:

I bet they mean splitscreen with “offline”.

• Baines says:

Probably same screen offline co-op. I want to recall the console version of Sacred 2 had two player local co-op?

I guess no one is going to copy console D3′s four player local. (Well, other than all the console games from the PS2 era and before that had four player local, of course. I really dislike how the pursuit of online had stagnated and outright reversed in many cases progress in local multiplayer.)

2. Didden says:

Wait, the men are wearing less armor than the women. This will never do!

• Niko says:

Yeah, seriously. Men in impractical armour? UNACCEPTABLE!

• dE says:

Been happening for ages. Monks even get penalty for wearing armor. Wait, wrong game…

• RedViv says:

Going by how everything flows, I’d say it is about the same. Except for the ranged guy. Who is apparently the heaviest on armour.

What a twist!

• Geewhizbatman says:

Ya, I could still see totally down that lady in green’s shirt and there was not one loin-pouch to be seen for those men. Sure, the yellow man’s leather armor thing in the back made it look like he was wearing ass-less pants for a hot second and that was something but what’s the point of a glistening chest if the goods aren’t bouncing around, amiright bros?

• Davie says:

I’m really enjoying that fabulous swoopy-haired Matt Smith-looking sorcerer.

3. Kunstbanause says:

I can’t wait, 10 years after the first Sacred, finally one that looks promising.

• atticus says:

I like what the first Sacred tried to do with world-building and having greater conflicts which affected how the world looked and characters acted.

The constants spawning of enemies whenever you travelled outside a city or town totally destroyed my immersion, however. You couldn’t walk three steps outside the gates without being swarmed by bandits, hundreds upon hundreds of them. It was just ridiculous.

4. Philomelle says:

I’m semi-amused by how everyone in the trailer, except maybe the Random Damsel In Distress and the new character class, are straight-out of their Citadels beat’em up. Same exact character designs, same boss, even the Seraphim is from there (as shown by her wearing actual clothing, not bikini and nipple pasties).

I wonder if they’re going to stick with that game’s story and tone for this one. Citadels was solid, if dreadfully repetitive after a couple acts, but it had a very tongue-in-cheek Saturday-morning-cartoon writing style. Not exactly what people are used to expecting from these games.

5. Silverfell says:

Malakhim? That’s going to be a popular name in Greece…

6. Felixader says:

I am always torn with the Sacred games. Like the gameplay and the flat german humor, hate the characterdesign.

EDIT: Okay lets’s say disagree with the Characterdesign instead of hate.

7. UncleLou says:

Bear in mind, not only is this from a different developer (Ascaron is no more), there also seem to be no more loot drops. Which means I am out if correct, your mileage may vary.

8. Sploitz says:

Are the classes still gender-locked? Because that always annoyed me.

9. Noviere says:

Something about the character design reminds me of 90s comic book/super heroes.

10. otto_ says:

The true question is: Will there be a Blind Guardian soundtrack? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JyfE55c_ZjI

• theoriginaled says:

Yeah, I dont know if I could get behind another Sacred game without Hansi’s dulcet tones spurring me on.

11. namad says:

uh…. sacred 1 and 2 were already multiplayer games, great multiplayer games right up until the publisher plugged the plug on the servers…. so … a re-dedication to co-op just means this brand manager is the sort of “brand” manager who hasn’t ever played any sacred at all ever and never will.

if you really wanted fans to play your games in co-op you wouldn’t've shut off the multiplayer functionality of your old games.

• frightlever says:

But they had single player storylines. I’m guessing their model is going to be more like Left 4 Dead than, say, The Last of Us.

12. moralsupport says:

What I want to know is: how are they going to get off the bridge?

• Darth Gangrel says:

The Seraphim and Dragon Mage, the two in the foreground of the image above, can fly so they’ll probably take turns carrying people off the bridge. Not very heroic or epic, but practical.

13. Rahdulf123 says:

I’ve always had a soft spot for Sacred games, if for no other reason than because no other hack & slash seems to do open world like they do. it’s always some division by chapters or whatever. Keeping my eye on this.

14. RProxyOnly says:

This stinks of D3…

‘Seamless online/offline’.. to me that just says there isn’t an offline.

15. Dragon Master says:

I still don’t get the point of destroying that marvelous bridge though…

• SillyWizard says:

Well obviously the Evil Fantasy Power Rangers hate everything sweet and beautiful, which is why they wrecked up the bridge for no good reason when the Orc Who Looks Like My Ex’s Mother and his friends were taking their pet human out for a stroll.

This really upset me. The abuse inflicted on the Orc — just trying to be a responsible caretaker of his pet — by emo-Andy Samburg and his rainbow-clad cohorts was gratuitous and ill-intentioned. Dangerous, even. And wrong!

16. Christo4 says:

Is sacred 2 any good if anyone tried it?

• Baines says:

I tried it a couple of years ago, and but didn’t play long. It felt…mediocre? Not awful, but not managing anything remotely amazing either. Stuff just seemed to be slightly off from good, like a few tweaks here and there could have made it a much better game.

It probably feels increasingly dated as well, considering how many games of its type have been released since.

17. bill says:

“The paramount development goal for Sacred 3 was to create a seamless range of shirts and t-shirts. By creating a game built around the central concept of owning clothes, we had hoped to expand the series to new audiences without compromising the rich lore and fantasy of the Sacred universe.

Unfortunately, due to game engine limitations this turned out to be impossible. ”