CS: GO Operation Phoenix Rises With 8 Fan Voted Maps

By Graham Smith on February 21st, 2014 at 7:00 pm.

Whoever paints these CS:GO images is amazing.

I used to review Counter-Strike maps as a teenager, for free, for fun, for fansites. If you’d have told me then that thirteen years later, I’d still be writing about them for fun, but as a career, I’d have said, “Well, obviously.” What else was I ever going to do?

Global Offensive’s new Operation Phoenix pack (or, “Pho3nix”, but I’d rather not) let’s you play eight top-voted community maps through the game’s competitive mode.

$3 let’s you play those maps on official servers, with all the requisite stats tracking that entails. The pack also delivers you a fancy gold coin to display those stats, and introduces 13 new community-created weapon finishes.

If you had told me back then that one day the best map creators would be getting paid for their work, I’d have been similarly unsurprised. When Valve picked up Counter-Strike itself so they could publish and continue developing it in-house, they gave some money to each of the contributors who’d made its maps. But even back then, they were talking about how map creators might sell their work directly to players, rather than Valve acting as a commissioning middle manager.

The eight maps voted for the community to be added this time around include Cache, Motel, Seaside, Montessori, Downtown, Thunder, Ali, Jingo, Favela, Agency and Biscuits. Click through to the Operation Phoenix page to check which of those I made up.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. LevelHeaded says:

Biscuits is so tea sided.

• Wils1956 says:

my best friend’s aunt makes $84 /hr on the laptop . She has been without a job for nine months but last month her pay check was $19525 just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here………..

……………………………………. http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

• Text_Fish says:

Aaaaaaa, this is good joke I like.

2. Thurgret says:

I’m usually quite fond of your writing, but, blimey, “let’s”?

And I’ve never played Counterstrike. In fact, I have an almost inexplicable aversion to the Source engine. Something just feels wrong about it.

• SuicideKing says:

BURN HIM SO HE MAY RISE A WISER MAN

• headless97 says:

I really don’t blame you for that. Most Souce engine games I’ve played have felt off, unsatisfying, and like it’s being held together with tape and stage props. Portal and CS:GO, though, are spot on with how they feel and how the games play. I highly recommend them, especially on a good sale. Also, Titanfall is on Source and looks like a multiplayer shooter that I could really enjoy.

3. SupahSpankeh says:

I couldn’t give less of a shit about CS:GO but Valve pushing out software with a “3″ in the title?

Holy fucknuggets.

4. Anthile says:

It’s just maps from the last two operations and most of them are terrible. Really, only cache and agency are good.

• SillyWizard says:

Seriously. Not to mention the maps were so poorly optimized that loads of people were having regular disconnections for no apparent reason.

I gave these assholes a few bucks for Bravo. Not making that mistake again!

(Also grumble grumble the game has been running shitty since the patch grumble.)

• hamburger_cheesedoodle says:

And really, Agency isn’t even that good. It’s so hard to smoke and has such long sightlines that it takes the dubious title of perhaps being AWPier than Aztec.

Cache is good, though; very good. Better than almost all the official maps. 10/10 would play again etc etc.

• brianisbrilliant says:

hello friend! I also’ve had CSGO trouble since about 2 months ago, it’s my favorite game. anyway, the fix i found was here on reddit:

I added a line to my launch options: ‘-threads 8′ you should sub that ’8′ for however many threads (not cores) your CPU has, and HOPEFULLY that will fix it for you. Happy hunting!

5. Gap Gen says:

SHOOT THE FIRE

KILL THE FIRE BEFORE IT SPREADS

6. mpk says:

OMG Thunder

One of my favourite CS maps ever. Shame it disappeared from the official list in what, CS 1.1?

• caff says:

Sadly it’s not Thunder as you or I remember it (i.e. the dark moody map with the numerous camping spots).

Still, quite a nice map pack, and loving the mechanics of GS:GO at the moment so definitely superior to the old CS and CS:S in my view.

7. AmaliaCLilley says:

my co-worker’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $16898 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit here

===========================>>>> http://WWW.MAC30.COM

8. Slazia says:

Paid for Bravo last time. No servers available. Tried many different times. Guess Japan isn’t part of the operation.

• Kitsunin says:

Sounds like a personal problem…I had no problem finding good servers from Taiwan, and Japan always has it much better off server-wise.

9. LindaTGonzalez says:

my roomate’s step-mother makes $89 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for seven months but last month her pay check was $17938 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    visit their website,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.Com

10. Stupoider says:

Will we ever see the return of Stadium?

I remember loving that map on the Xbox version of CS.

11. SoniaBPorter says:

Make 5000 bucks every month… Start doing online computer-based work through our jobs79 website and start getting that much needed extra income every month… You’ll get trained by us, no prior experience needed… Find out more about it on following address

>>>>> >>>>>>>> http://WWW.MAC30.COm

12. Magere says:

my neighbor’s half-sister makes $81 /hr on the computer . She has been without work for 6 months but last month her pay was $15125 just working on the computer for a few hours. try here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Bay95.com

13. headless97 says:

I really wish that all of these great community maps would be officially added to the game. I don’t want to rent maps for a few months, I want permanent additions to the game.

• ShatteredSeeker says:

I really don’t get this… All the maps in Operation Phoenix are available for everyone, everytime for free. But in order to play them in the matchmaking on Valve server, you need to pay some money. These maps ARE permanent additions to the game, just not in the official matchmaking. You can play those maps on community servers all the time as long as you (or the server admin :P) wants.

14. AndreaPMcCreary says:

my roomate’s sister-in-law makes $68 an hour on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her payment was $17555 just working on the computer for a few hours. check here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ===============================================
    ===============================================

15. Pangalaktichki says:

I love these operations in CSGO – paid 2eur for pass, got a crate that sold for 3.5eur. And to get to play some of those great maps on low ping servers with matchmaking, I’d say that’s a win-win situation :)