Impressions – Elite: Dangerous Alpha

By Adam Smith on February 21st, 2014 at 9:00 pm.

The current alpha for Elite: Dangerous offers a linear series of combat missions, with a narrative through-line about illegal toxic waste dumping, megacorp mercenaries and accidental collisions with asteroids. That may well be how the final game plays out for some people but I’m more likely to spend my time exploring the farthest reaches of the galaxy, looking for unusual sights and making a few spacebucks by trading with whatever life exists at those penultimate frontiers. As such, the alpha only represents a very small portion of the Elite that I hope to play when all is said and done. With that in mind, here are my impressions of several hours in space.

I love space and I might well love Elite: Dangerous. I don’t know if I will yet, not in the long-term, but it’s certainly made a good first impression.

This may only be a small portion of the Elite I’m looking forward to but it’s a tasty one. The sort of microcapsule The Jetsons probably used to pop on a Sunday lunchtime, containing all the flavour and weight of a slap-up roast dinner. The alpha might not tell me a great deal about the astounding complexity of Elite’s worlds of infinite possibility, but the sheer spectacle of this small slice of space makes the promise of adventure all the more thrilling.

Aesthetically, it’s everything I’d hoped for. The first time my cannons scorched the tail-end of an enemy ship, I immediately wished I was broadcasting live, thinking I’d just seen the perfect shot. Engine trails were replaced by flame and smoke as systems wavered, and the poor bastard rolled out of harm’s way. The new path placed a nearby planet behind him, an immensity that filled my view. The blue of distant seas washed around his vessel, absorbing it and momentarily hiding it from view.

When my eyes had adjusted, I could still see the smouldering mark where the projectiles had scarred the surface, a beautifully constructed minor detail in a world so large that it’s natural to expect only the broadest of strokes. It’s impossible not to perform an imaginative reverse crash-zoom at this point – picture a squadron picking holes in a frigate or interdictor. Picture the death of a ship that blots out an entire system of stars, picture your wingmen burning by your side in a lonely ambush, picture the freedom of the galaxy, and the beauty of finding a perfect sun that rises and falls with the nudge of a thruster.

And there’s the dilemma. Playing this alpha is like arriving on a pristine beach, reclining in a pool of shade with a cocktail in hand and looking out onto the most perfect bay beneath skies that a glossy brochure or glossier travel agent would definitely describe as ‘azure’. You’re ready to head out into the water but it’s off-limits for now and when you do take the plunge maybe it’ll be shark-infested or full of arseholes riding inflatable bananas. Maybe one of them will leave a floater in the water, the beefy aftermath of a thirty-year beer and steak diet.

Sorry about that. Memories of a childhood holiday on Majorca. What I mean to say is that I’ve been playing a tiny scrap of what Elite: Dangerous will eventually be and it’s exciting enough that I’m tempted to extrapolate. It’s the beautiful tip of an iceberg that may melt before we see the rest of it.

The missions in the alpha are superb though, even if the first one is little more than target practice utilising toxic waste barrels. Indeed, it’s not the mission design that shines, it’s the engine and the power of the control systems. By the time wingmen and entire enemy squadrons start to populate the gaps between the asteroids, the combat is as intense and fulfilling as any space-biffing I’ve played in a good long time. Sweet mercy, it HAS been a long time and during the first combat mission, as I grappled with the controls and struggled to orient myself, I realised how much I’ve missed this sort of thing.

I played with a keyboard and mouse at first, which is possible but difficult and distracting. A joystick would be ideal, simulating what I presume is the avatar pilot’s experience. Shifting to a joypad satisfied me though and within ten or fifteen minutes, I was pitch perfect. The controls are tricky but tight, and it’s even possible to perform a fairly precise circle-strafe despite the (intentionally) low yaw rate. Having to combine pitch, roll and yaw to wrestle the ship into position during pursuit and avoidance is glorious, and even my joypad’s tiny thumbsticks felt like powerful conduits.

Chasing an enemy as he spirals, dives and weaves is tense, particularly if he has companions closing in for a kill of their own. The Sidewinder is a marvel of engineering though and with some practice, it can pull off remarkable manoeuvres, seeming to turn on a sixpence (probably actually half the distance from here to the moon) or to turn a spiralling dive into an angled sidestep.

The thrusters feel punchy. That’s definitely the right word. Every time I adjust the power to the engines or shift the ship on its own axis, there’s a jolt, a sense of the scientific ingenuity that carries these machines. They slam into position and the crackling of their skin when a shield fails under fire is vivid and terrible. The designs are future-sleek, particularly when shields enclose them like tight rubber, but the Sidewinder’s cockpit has a lived-in feel, with its bobblehead mascot on the dash.

Judging by this small taste, Elite’s world will have rust layered atop much of its rocket age wonder. Exploring almost-limitless worlds wouldn’t be half as entertaining if they were all sterile and shiny. I’m getting ahead of myself again though – there are no worlds, as of this moment, just a few ships at war. And I’m surprised by how satisfying the experience already is.

Dare I say that I’d be happy with a full combat campaign in this engine as a game in and of itself? My interest in Elite is in the exploration, the trade and the playing of roles, but sci-fi dogfighting this good is a rare treat. The AI is good as well, capable of putting up a strong fight but also prone to the occasional error. I’ve already enjoyed one head-on collision, although it was intentional on my part. I just wanted to see if it was possible. It’s amazing how small an area a group of ships end up occupying when they’re constantly trying to reverse position and chase one another’s tails.

Graham has been playing with an Oculus Rift, which may have been making him tad spacesick. I suspect we’ll both be playing some more over the weekend and will partake in some form of discussion to be shared at a later date.

It’s all tremendously exciting, even if it is little more than a glimpse of a possibility. I shifted all power to my weapons as I chased one ship down. It was already flaming out, shields wrecked and pilot sending out distress calls. My engines shuddered with delight, rolled over and reached for a smoke. I drifted silently as the poor bastard shrank in my reticule. And then I fired until the lasers burned white hot, even with the cooling systems turned up full.

Empty spaces. Perfect peace.

__________________

« | »

, , , , , , , .

1. The Army of None says:

I didn’t back this one, but I’m pretty darn sure I’ll be picking this one up at first opportunity. Between this and Star Citizen, probably investing in a flightstick too. mmmmmmm space

• frightlever says:

I’ve no interest in backing any of these things. THAT is the power of crowds. No matter how negative I am about a company, someone will come along and throw money at them. Then I wait and pick it up on sale. Commerce!

But IF I had backed Star Citizen, I would be feeling kinda nervous around now.

Elite looks to have been done right. I remember becoming Elite, originally, and praying that the Gods of cassette tape would accept my save. They should work that in.

• Bassen_Hjertelos says:

There’s room for both games to thrive. Choice is good.

• CrazedIvan says:

I am not sure what you would be nervous about. The dog fighting simulator won’t be out until after PAX or so. Even when the Dog Fighting simulator gets released, SC isn’t anywhere near alpha stage.

This game is going to be massive, and the community is going to have a long wait for the finial release of the game. That isn’t a bad thing, since they have stated that they are going to take their time and do this game right. I am pumped for it.

• AmaliaCLilley says:

my co-worker’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $16898 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit here

===========================>>>> http://WWW.MAC30.COM

• Sheng-ji says:

Oh god, whatever you do, don’t criticise star citizen, there’s no troll more ferocious than one who’s dropped more cash than their car cost on a game. The fear of buyers remorse drives normal denizens of the interwebs below the deepest of bridges!

• kael13 says:

My opinion of Star Citizen, as a backer, is that it will, eventually, turn out to be awesome. But there’s going to be a lot of delays and tears on the way.

• secuda says:

Troll eh? dont know why you say troll for SC backers? Fans yes but certainly not trolls, trolls are those who are trying to say this will suck for no apparent reason.
          anyway the only worrying i have is that they are listen to much of the fanbase and trying to do to much (shooting, have to eat and sleap during flight) and every thing just fall flat.

• Corb says:

Those aren’t trolls, those are a**hats riding backwards Giraffes.

• Wils1956 says:

my best friend’s aunt makes $84 /hr on the laptop . She has been without a job for nine months but last month her pay check was $19525 just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here………..

……………………………………. http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

• Buiribithe1951 says:

my buddy’s step-sister makes $86 every hour on the computer . She has been out of work for 5 months but last month her pay check was $16771 just working on the computer for a few hours. try this out……….

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.Jobs84.com

2. jarowdowsky says:

Oh yes, love my warthog for flight sims but I can’t wait to let it fly free into the cosmos.

Pity this was done before I got into backing things on kickstarter but can’t wait for a chance to play

3. LunyAlex says:

Hyped. A lot.

Now… can we see some of that Star Citizen space gameplay, Mr. Roberts? Early Prototypes and hangars don’t count.

• derbefrier says:

Star citizen dog fighting module will be premired at PAX this year and be in backers hands that same week. Only a little longer…..

• LunyAlex says:

While I’m looking forward to see that, I’ll be blunt and say that that’s not good enough. I really want to see the game world. The big persistent open world game world that most of the game’s ambitions lie within.

Only when I see that will I really give into the Star Citizen hype that’s been knocking at my door for so long.

• derbefrier says:

Yeah fair enough. That’s still gonna be a long while though. I do hope they make this date though any more delays and even a big fanboy like me might start to get worried.

• frightlever says:

Why you being a dick? You stupid? Star Citizen, which I have little faith in, is a mammoth project. If anything slaps on to the pavement before 2016, while they run away holding their noses, then that’ll be a triumph for crowd-sourcing.

Never will so much money have been invested in an untried development house, with a rusty lead, with so many goals, before.

If they even deliver a game at all then it will be proof positive that crowd-sourcing is a viable model. For publishers and developers, who want to milk goodwill like a Holstein.

• CrazedIvan says:

a lot of people are a bit bugged that there is no game play or the dog fight simulator for SC. But honestly, it is no where close to Alpha and they are making a huge game. Its going to be a long while before we see the game released, let a lone an Alpha.

I say good! Take their time and make the game right, don’t push them.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

” I really want to see the game world. The big persistent open world game world that most of the game’s ambitions lie within.”

Sorry but Elite isn’t showing that either and it’s part of their own design aswell. Both games will be pretty similar, but SC is still going to take longer for a good variety of reasons.

Which brings us to Pax east, the DFM will be shown and both games will have MP dogfighting as the only playable “real meat” currently released, at which point SC’s hangar module and the ungodly amount of lore/Q&A shows/Modding shows/concept art/polls/digital magazines/random stuff that’s currently out there will most likely stop having that “Wait, is that all you’ve got?” vibe about them. It’ll probably turn into something like “WoW, as i’m done with the DFM i have so much stuff to chew on”.

SC is drawing far too much negativity. The tears will be delicious.

Pro tip: learn to like both games as they both deserve that and then some. I’d pledge for Elite, but money is a factor and i’ll probably opt for the premium beta package or whatever is the name.

• theslap says:

Don’t get your hopes up

4. Reginald XVII Archduke of Butts says:

Looks like it’s going well so far. It’s good progress and a sign that the project is worth paying attention to in future to see how it progresses.

That seems good enough for now.

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

“…or full of arseholes riding inflatable bananas. Maybe one of them will leave a floater in the water, the beefy aftermath of a thirty-year beer and steak diet.”

Pants were legitimately pissed on reading this
    *drips*

6. araczynski says:

a little excessive on the prose there, but i think the gist is that its shaping up nicely?

• Casimir's Blake says:

This is RPS. Pontificating is not unusual. But would you rather Eurogamer? IGN?

• frightlever says:

What’s wrong with Eurogamer? Uh, Eurogamer UK? I like Eurogamer – it’s where I go for most of my news, then a couple of days later I check to see if RPS agrees or is wrong.

(and let’s remember it’s Eurogamer that’s had contributors resign on points of principle. We’ve had RPS contributors leave for unspecified reasons before. Same? No, on many levels.)

• Bent Wooden Spoon says:

The only Eurogamer contributor I remember who resigned on a point of principle was Rab Florence, who’s still writing Cardboard Children for this very site. The only RPS contributor I remember who left due to vague, unspecified “policy decisions” was Lewie Proctor (I still miss you Lewie), and we don’t know the details. I have no idea what point you’re trying to make, I can’t see how either of those facts are relevant to anything.

Eurogamer’s definitely one of the better sites out there, but honestly I find its news coverage has become a lot more drecky over the last few years – it’s far more sensationalist and click-baiting than it used to be, and its rare that they break any news themselves – it’s mostly just rewordings of stuff reported elsewhere. Not to mention the comments section is full of Grade-A eejits, I have no idea how the wonderful Kangarootoo’s managed to stick around for so long without breaking his face on his keyboard.

• BooleanBob says:

The funny thing is, that second paragraph could have been written word for word in 2009. At least now Parkin’s gone to the New Yorker there are less crawlingly embarrassing ‘video games are rap battles’-type analogies stinking out the first 300 words of every 700 word review.

(I say this as a big fan of both EG and Parkin.)

• Dozer says:

There was Quinns too, Quintin Smith. I don’t know why he left exactly.

• Archonsod says:

Presumably to do Shut Up and Sit Down.

• khomotso says:

The thing about penultimate frontiers is that they really aren’t frontiers at all … just a good sign of someone digging deep for more syllables.

• SanguineAngel says:

Hey this is looking good and that is pretty exciting

But I am genuinely confused as to why people are so either or in their attitudes towards elite and star citizen. A freaking stoked for both.

• Harlander says:

It’s the terrifying realisation that, if one of these games doesn’t end up being terrible, we won’t have time to play both or indeed anything else

• derbefrier says:

Elite looks great but star citizen is the one I funded so while I will no doubt buy elite upon release, Star Citizen is the game I spent waaaay to much money on because I saw the constellation and multicrew ships and had to have one. Elite to me isn’t doing anything really new in the space sim genre so in my eyes it was a pretty safe bet. Star Citizen was the one with all the ambition and in my mind that ambition is why I am much more excited for star citizen.

• Cinek says:

It’s not meant to be innovative, it’s meant to bring old awesomeness to the modern age. Whatever it does it or not – is yet to be seen though. So far I’m underwhelmed.

• Antsy says:

I can neither confirm nor deny that you think that.

7. The Random One says:

Every alpha is a dangerous alpha.

8. Zenicetus says:

So waitaminnit… the RPS crew can afford to buy or beg an Oculus RIft, but can’t afford a few measly bucks for a real joystick?

• drewski says:

I think it’s more than before this game, it didn’t occur to them they might need one.

I can’t remember if it was Adam or Graham, but one of them noted on Twitter recently that they really wished they hadn’t thrown their joystick out 6 months ago, after their time with Elite.

• stahlwerk says:

The rift devkit is actually not that expensive.

9. Shadow says:

“My engines shuddered with delight, rolled over and reached for a smoke.”

Naughty.

It’s great to hear such a small (yet critical) part of the game can provide such a satisfying experience. I’m looking forward to this almost as much as I am Star Citizen (which I backed), and it looks like it’ll be here earlier.

10. Rindan says:

Please don’t suck like X Rebirth.
    Please don’t suck like X Rebirth.
    Please don’t suck like X Rebirth.
    Please don’t suck like X Rebirth.

11. spacedyemeerkat says:

Considering how utterly spiteful RPS, and most of my fellow readers, were towards David Braben and the Elite Kickstarter, it was a pleasure to read this article.

• slerbal says:

I wasn’t spiteful and nor do I think most of the commentators were, though I was definitely disbelieving of the hype train. Too many years working in the games industry does that to you. Truth was though, Braben had not exactly had a stellar (pun intended) record for the decade or so before this, and it isn’t as if he released any substantial information during the Kickstarter. People were right to be cautious if they want. They are also just as right to jump in with both boots if they have the cash to spare.

However… this is definitely looking promising, and hopefully it will be good enough that I will enjoy eating some humble pie. End of the day I am never unhappy to see good games. But as the article says this is just a good first step (which is a whole hell of a lot more than some games ever achieve).

Still, I won’t be climbing on any game’s hype train any time soon. :)

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Elite didn’t seem to happen for a long time, people turned negative. SC is getting the same treatment as the DFM is delayed.

As much as i despise people being quick on calling wolf and generally turning into malicious creatures full of irrational doubts and fears, i can’t really say i find any of this really completely unjustified, you just never know and the world tends to teach you to not being too trusty.

SC is actually getting even more dirt, mostly because a good portion of people tend to react very badly when they see other people getting a lot of cash.

• Caiman says:

This. I was extremely skeptical at first because Braben has been teasing Elite 4 for literally longer than DNF was in development. The Kickstarter pitch had nothing to show other than concept art and a lot of talk about how great it would be. Despite being an enormous Elite and space sim fan, I didn’t back it until they started showing evidence to back it up. I’m very happy to say that Frontier have exceeded my expectations in a way that is rare in this industry, so I’m quite happy to eat humble pie and all that if it turns out to be as good as it looks.

Compare this with Star Citizen which blew me away with its initial pitch video, something I backed immediately before it even reached Kickstarter, and now here we are having seen precious little to justify that initial excitement. There’s some stream on YouTube of a dogfighting prototype from December which looks, frankly, pretty ordinary and disappointing, and it’s no wonder they chose to hold it back after seeing the Elite alpha. However, there is a long way to go with Star Citizen, so I’m willing to be patient and wait. Even having this many space sims coming out is incredibly exciting for me, so I’m really not complaining.

• spacedyemeerkat says:

I understand the comments you’ve all made and even agree with someone of them. But the level of distrust and mockery on these pages was a sad indictment of how we’ve become.

The game may still go on to suck donkey balls, of course, but I felt the need to defend some honour.

• Cinek says:

What honour?! Whose? Game is just a game. Don’t forget about it. There were millions before it and will be millions after it.

12. WotDaFeck says:

You wait for a bus (for bloody years) and suddenly 4 come at once

Elite Dangerous, Star Citizen, Limit Theory, Eve Valkyrie

what is it with this feckin world

13. hideinlight says:

With that insane price tag for entry into an Alpha and Beta, think I’ll stick with Strike Vector for now for my dogfighting pew pew fix.

Will put the space exploration, immersion thing on hold for now.

• Shadow says:

Given entry to Alpha and Beta was only granted to those who backed enough, it’s only fair they charge as much to those who would enter the testing now.

It’s meant to be a priviledge.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Which doesn’t change the fact that the fault might be in the model. Such a pledging system makes sense only if you’re trying to limit to your alpha participants, but i fear that they might have lost some millions without a more flexible solution.

Eitherway, i’ll have more time to evaluate my pledge i guess.

• Cinek says:

Somehow competition doesn’t have this problem.

• Furiant says:

Alpha and beta are required phases for testing and feedback in order to ship a product that will be profitable. If they had zero participants in these phases they would be in dire straits. It’s not a privilege, it’s a mutually beneficial arrangement that one side is being charged for.

You might just as we’ll say that having people do testing for you without being on your payroll is a privilege.

• Cinek says:

People these days got confused by developers (I blame mostly crowdfunding) that spending your time on testing unfinished product is a privilege. Someone completly forgot that back in the day it was commonly accepted that testing is something You should GET PAID FOR.

14. tomimt says:

I didn’t back Elite either, but it is starting to look like a game I will be getting at some point. As well as a decent flight stick as well. But does it have a classical music sound track?

15. Andy_Panthro says:

Elite is the only space sim I’ve backed, and to be honest it was entirely based on nostalgia for the classic Elite/Frontier games.

I’ve been very happy with the progress so far, and can’t wait until I can get my hands on it (that may be some time, I didn’t back at a high enough level for alpha).

16. zeroNth says:

But do these spaceship bank in the vacuum of space? That’s all I want to know.

• TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

Maneuvering thrusters are your answer.

In case of some sort of sarcasm or pun: sorry, my detector is completely broken :(

• LionsPhil says:

Nnnot really. Build a spaceplane in KSP some time and note the massive difference between turning using your flaps, getting almost-free changes of direction because you can push off of all that lovely thick atmosphere, and trying to plane change in space, where you actually need to kill a bunch of momentum along one vector and accellerate in another. RCS will turn your orientation, but without atmosphere your orientation has no effect on your direction of travel.

(However, it might be that Elite is of the “science is boring, let do WW2 dogfights in space with lasers” school of thought. I can’t remember. By the time my Beeb had loaded it from tape, I’d found something else to do.)

• Sheng-ji says:

Elite 1 was WW2 dogfighting in space, elite 2 and 3 had a large nod towards realism but it fluffed einsteinian physics and picked and choose from newtonian.

Its all good though, lets leave accurate physics to Actalogic or VStep and enjoy not having to spend 2 hours docking at every space station

• Pecisk says:

ED has Newtonian physics, it is has flight assist system which makes more planes in space feel. However, you can turn FA off, and go at it.

17. fabulousfurrygingerfreakbrothers says:

Gosh, this is already sounding ace. However Craig’s hands-on playing this with Oculus Rift was enough to sell both products to me, but I don’t want one without the other. Is that wrong?

18. jack4cc says:

I’m really looking forward to this, because compared to star citizen this game does at least know what it wants to be good at instead of trying to figure out where to put all that money.

19. Bent Wooden Spoon says:

I’ve been waiting for this game for over half my life. I’ve undoubtedly spent more hours playing F:E2 and F:FE than any other game or series of games, I still find the sense of freedom they bestow hasn’t been equalled, let alone surpassed, in the almost 19 years since First Encounters was released. I used to lurk on the Elite section of the Frontier forums and SpaceSimCentral, hoping for an announcement of a new game,checking out FFED3D, not clicking with Oolite, being quietly optimistic for (sadly now destined to be pretty much forgotten) Pioneer. Not to mention being hugely disappointed, each and every time, with all the X-series games I played.

I wasn’t surprised at the general negativity surrounding the Kickstarter announcement, but I quietly had faith. I didn’t Kickstart it because I haven’t Kickstarted anything, but boy do I hope it turns out well. Fortunately all the early impressions I’ve read so far seem to indicate it will.

20. LindaTGonzalez says:

my roomate’s step-mother makes $89 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for seven months but last month her pay check was $17938 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    visit their website,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.Com

21. Lars Westergren says:

This looks like it is shaping up very nicely. Star Citizen has reached critical mass and will continue to suck in all the money on planet earth at an ever accelerating pace.

But does anyone remember the true scrappy little underdogs Starlight:Inception?

• spacedyemeerkat says:

Yes, I backed it. Played for about five minutes, thought it wasn’t very good and stopped. Dreadful of me, and I should give it a proper go. How is it?

22. Continuity says:

Is it just me, or does anyone else find it really jarring that the are so few stars visible in these screenshots. I mean they’re in space, The view ought to be absolutely carpeted with trillions of stars and galaxies.

• Werthead says:

Depends on where you are in the galaxy. From our local neighbourhood, the view is obscured by lots of dust heading towards the galactic centre, which is why the Milky Way is so – relatively – dim in the sky, rather than dominating it. That’s still true if you are in orbit or in interplanetary space (our atmosphere only blocks some some of the faintest stars). The ISS and Voyager don’t show billions of stars and galaxies in their images either.

• Gap Gen says:

Also depends on the dynamic range of the instrument – if you’re looking at Earth, a lot of the stars are going to be a lot dimmer than the Earth’s glow. The eye works a little differently, but in a similar way – imagine walking inside on a sunny summer day and taking a while to adjust to the darkness, or turning on a torch at night and ruining your night vision.

But yeah, I gave up expecting realism in space games and films a long time ago.

• Continuity says:

I guess. I’d still expect a lot more though.

Well I guess it might be place-holder.

• Gap Gen says:

Just checked the Google images result for “earth iss”. None of the images with the daylight side of Earth in them have stars; they get washed out too easily.

• Pecisk says:

Skybox is rendered texture placeholder, true, but it is also true that with naked eye there’s almost nothing to see in space. And if you have sunlight close enough, it just too much to see stars in space around you.

• Yetas says:

Yeah, it’s a placeholder. In the full game all the stars you see will be the stars of systems you can visit. From what I’ve read you’ll even be able to point your ship at a star and jump to it if it’s in hyperspace range.

• Iskariot says:

And do not forget this is Alpha.
      Frontier is advised by astrophysicists/astronomers to get things as realistic as possible.
      The only limitation to realism is actual gameplay fun.

• Gap Gen says:

Which, I assume, is quite important, although I guess I don’t want to open up the old “realistic space combat” debate (and in any case I imagine it’d be like Jules Verne and HG Wells trying to figure out modern combat; some good ideas, but also considerable differences with how things are done today).

23. Cinek says:

Each time I see gameplay from Elite it looks like There’s just a HUD with 2 tiny guns that’s completly detached from whatever spaceship there might be behind.

Not only it looks silly,

but also seems to completly break immersion for me.

I don’t want to fly to ship with two pew-pew guns and overpainted HUD with some effects popping up on it. It feels completly different then any other space sim I played. There’s no impression that you fly space ship that got everything physically located in it. Even space sims like Freesoace 2 – with no visible cockpit at all – felt more real than this one.

• Pecisk says:

Interesting that you said that, when in fact it is just pilot looking forward in cockpit, and you can move your head using head look in TrackIR, OR, or just using mouse or keyboard. It is completely imerssed and frankly I really don’t get what you are complaining about.

• aldo_14 says:

Not only it looks silly,

but also seems to completly break immersion for me.

The HUD in Elite is meant to be holographic; there was some concept art floating about somewhere to that extent. It actually – IMO – makes more sense from an in-universe standpoint (ironically, it’s pretty close in principle to the Freespace one – the HUD in that is basically squinting reaaaalllly close to the glass).

• Cinek says:

HUD ain’t that bad. Complete lack of immersion into your starship and a feeling that you are sitting is comething big, a physical object, is. Play some… X-wing Alliance for example – it really feels like you are in a cockpit of a huge ship with all the guns properly located and everything physically being where it should be. This feels like flying tiny RC model with two tiny guns in front of FPV camera.

24. LoisARussell says:

my best friend’s ex-wife makes $74 an hour on the internet . She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her pay was $13706 just working on the internet for a few hours. blog link,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com

25. Iskariot says:

This is the Space Sim of my dreams. Everything I have seen so far is done so well.
    I am so glad that Braben and his team are doing such a good job.
    I can’t wait for the full release.

What I look forward to the most is exploring the procedurally generated milkyway with its approximately 500000 stars.
    This will be the spacesim that rules all spacesims.
    Elite is back! Finally!

26. MarieJRascoe says:

my co-worker’s mother makes $85 every hour on the internet . She has been fired from work for 5 months but last month her pay check was $13547 just working on the internet for a few hours.
    site link,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.Com

27. headless97 says:

I’ve been pining for a really good space game. I don’t need to explore an open universe, mine asteroids, or trade resources. I just want to fly a spaceship and shoot other spaceships. I would like to have a solid mission-based campaign, co-op, and multiplayer. If Elite: Dangerous is this good in its alpha, TAKE MY MONEY!

28. AndreaPMcCreary says:

my roomate’s sister-in-law makes $68 an hour on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her payment was $17555 just working on the computer for a few hours. check here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ===============================================