Keen Arrow: Towerfall Lands March 11

By Adam Smith on February 21st, 2014 at 5:00 pm.

The gleeful multiplayer exploits of Towerfall have long been the best (and perhaps) only reason to own the US Marine Corps sponsored Oorah! console. When we heard that a PC version was coming, with oodles of new features, I refused to be excited. I expected the newly colonised Towerfall: Ascension to show its face at shady conventions and to be passed around on sleek USB sticks at exclusive awards shows like Nidhogg before it. As the trailer below admirably demonstrates, Towerfall looks absolutely brilliant – a slapstick Spelunky deathmatch. The good news is that you won’t have to be in with the in crowd to play it. It’s out on March 11th. You will need friends though because multiplayer is local only, with no online support.

I just described that video as ‘multiplayer Spelunky-Joust’ in the underground RPS chatroom. Ignoring the fact that Joust is generally multiplayer, I don’t think that’s a bad summary.

As well as fifty new levels, and additional variants and powerups, Ascension adds a Quest mode, in which 1-2 players defend arenas as monsters invade. Jolly good.

, , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Jesse L says:

I wonder when permanent indie arcades will become a thing…

• Wils1956 says:

my best friend’s aunt makes $84 /hr on the laptop . She has been without a job for nine months but last month her pay check was $19525 just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here………..

……………………………………. http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

2. MelonieJMcKinney says:

my buddy’s mom makes $74 hourly on the computer . She has been out of work for 9 months but last month her payment was $19442 just working on the computer for a few hours. view it now ,,,,,,,,,,http://www.Fizzjob.com

3. Git says:

I wonder if the developers of Titanfall are going to try and sue them.

• db1331 says:

It is a pretty cute move on their part.

• Phasma Felis says:

On whose part? Towerfall was released less than two weeks after Titanfall was announced. I doubt it was intentional.

• Chuckleluck says:

Now I’m a bit disappointed it’s not a game about calling in towers from outer space to fight for you.

4. Fattsanta says:

With no online multiplayer support this game is completely useless to me. Real shame because it looks amazing. Stupid devs.

• Phasma Felis says:

Not all games are for everyone. This game, for example, is for people with friends.

I’m sorry. That was mean. It was so obvious, though. I couldn’t resist. Again, sorry.

• Kemipso says:

Hello Fattsanta,

A few softwares allow you to simulate a LAN network over the internet, which is especially useful to play old games with friends.

You can have a look at Hamachi for example, which is one of them.

Of note: if your problem was related to the fact that you actually don’t have any friends, or that you have but they’re lying dead on your floor, then Hamachi is unlikely to help you.
        Otherwise, give it a try!

Cheers

BTA says:

This doesn’t have LAN multiplayer though, just multiplayer on one PC. So Hamachi won’t help, whether he has living friends or not.

• Smoky_the_Bear says:

Yep seemingly you need a PC in walking distance of 3 friends and everyone must own a PC compatible Xbox pad for this to be played properly. I bet that doesn’t apply to a massive % of people. No lan support is stupid tbh. If he didn’t want random internet games then fair enough, but LAN support to allow people who’s friends live more than 5 miles away to play this together seems like a no-brainer that he is, for some reason, against adding.

• SominiTheCommenter says:

There’s a site called Adult Friend Finder.
        I assume it’s like Google for friends, try searching there.

• Caiman says:

Yeah, but seriously, what is the actual audience for a local multiplayer only single PC game? A teeny, tiny fraction of the audience for an online multiplayer experience, I’ll wager.

• Ahtaps says:

Correction, this game is for people with friends in the same area code.

keithzg says:

But it’s true, though . . . this game is fantastic sitting around a couch, and it would lose a lot translated to faceless unknowns on the internet. And a game meant to be played on a single instance is going to be a huge undertaking to port to a state where there’s a server/client model, and it’s not like the folks making Towerfall have a lot of development manpower to throw around—AFAIK the game as released on the Ouya was just the one guy! And so that one guy made a game to conjure back that feeling of playing things like Smash Bros and Goldeneye with friends. That was his aim, and he did it, and it’s honestly a bit entitled of people to demand he balloon the underlying complexity of the software just to fit a play paradigm that he wasn’t aiming for in the first place.

There are tons of games out there now where the co-op even requires multiple machines connecting over a network; I’m glad there’s a game that’s aimed at local, single-screen play, and there’s no way I’m going to begrudge the dev for using his limited time to create and refine that.

5. Hmm-Hmm. says:

So.. this was an Ouya exclusive, right? Anyone knowing how the Ouya is doing?

6. AmaliaCLilley says:

my co-worker’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $16898 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit here

===========================>>>> http://WWW.MAC30.COM

7. SoniaBPorter says:

Emma make serious money working from home only a few hours everyday and make a nice extra money doing what you already do, here you can find out more………….W­W­W­.M­a­C­3­0.­C­o­m

8. FFabian says:

The bot-spam is getting out of hand.

And regarding Towerfall: I have no friends = Towerfail ;-(

keithzg says:

Get some! Towerfall is great! And also friends are pretty good too.

9. headless97 says:

I often have physical contact with other human beings that I call friends, so a local multiplayer game is quite welcome, especially on my gaming platform of choice: the PC. You know, the one with 8 USB ports, enough power to do split screen games across multiple monitors, and the one that I can use DVI-to-HDMI to plug into an HDTV for easier local play?

And for the record, Spelunky does have multiplayer. Properly good deathmatching, too.

keithzg says:

Yeah, I have a fairly decent PC hooked up to a projector, but there are precious few PC games (the ports of the LEGO games being a rare exception) that actually have local multiplayer to take advantage of it in this way.

10. AndreaPMcCreary says:

my roomate’s sister-in-law makes $68 an hour on the computer . She has been out of work for five months but last month her payment was $17555 just working on the computer for a few hours. check here,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
    ===============================================