WW2 2: Men of War Assault Squad 2 Early Access

By Alec Meer on February 21st, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

Jim! Jim! Oh, where is that boy? Oh dear, with our resident Men of War expert on sabbatical we’ve been left ill-placed to cover developments on 1C’s latest instalment in their usually clever’n'careful WW2 squad-strategy series. Well, Men of War: Assault Squad 2 is out now on Early Access, so I guess the brave and the bold can find out whether it’s any cop themselves, if they’re prepared to chance a twenty spot on it.

There doesn’t seem to be an official trailer, and most of what’s on YouTube is the now-standard Very Enthusiastic Man Talks All Over It fare. I did briefly consider “Raptor reviews some recently released screenshots for Men of War: Assault Squad 2!” but there is far too much wrong with that sentence. Instead, here’s a random person’s commentary-free multiplayer match for you:

Looks rather familiar – so I suspect the difference is in the experience rather than the surface.

Here’s what we’re officially told to expect:

Men of War: Assault Squad 2 features new single player style skirmish modes that take players from extreme tank combat to deadly sniper stealth missions. Commanders can now faceoff against opponents on various new multiplayer 1v1 – 4v4 maps. To truly bring the battles to life though there is the new 8v8 game mode designed for huge battles on spectacular maps.

This new Assault Squad game brings significant game engine and visual improvements as well, with special attention paid to ones that were highly requested by the players.

So yeah, it’s more a riggered MOWAS than it is going to brand new places, but in theory there’s nothing at all wrong with that.

Anyone been in on the closed betas? What are your thoughts?

, , , , .

1. Baboonanza says:

It does look very similar, but then the engine was pretty good to begin with so I guess it’s encouraging that they’ve been focussing on the weker areas. In particular I hope they’ve improved the network code as it was pretty flaky before. I had a massive amount of fun with the first one so I’m tempted to pick this up.

• Wils1956 says:

my best friend’s aunt makes $84 /hr on the laptop . She has been without a job for nine months but last month her pay check was $19525 just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here………..

……………………………………. http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

2. mrmonkeh says:

Have the next one in Orange County California! You can go see Blizzard and stay at my house. I’m English so I won’t shoot you when you set foot on my property x

3. Press X to Gary Busey says:

Extreme tank combat. Noscoping StuG in the crew hatch while doing a backflip on one thread down a ledge stopping the fall in the last second with a well timed shell-jump.

4. Svant says:

Hmm wonder if they have Co-op in those singleplayer gamemodes. Would be nice.

5. zaprowsdower says:

I hope this will fill the the festering void of disappointment that was Company of Heroes 2.

• neonordnance says:

So many +1s, biggest disappointment of last year.

MOW:AS was excellent, though, and played like a slightly wonky, hardcore-sim version of COH. The depth and dedication to realism are extremely well done. If you can get past some unusual mechanics, it’s an awesome game. As long as they stick to the control system of MOW:AS1 and keep the same variety of historical units, this should be a good’un.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I’d quite like Men of War With Voice Actors Instead of Kidnapped Passers-By edition.

• GernauMorat says:

God, the ones in Men of War were actively embarrassing to listen too. Great game though!

• subedii says:

I have to admit, it was fairly jarring coming off of Company of Heroes phenomenal voice acting, and back to the slightly more budget end of the spectrum. Not really a fair comparison though if I’m honest, almost all of Relic’s games (barring Space Marine) had voicework that makes of the rest of the industry to shame.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Gaauyz thees ez bed

7. MelonieJMcKinney says:

my buddy’s mom makes $74 hourly on the computer . She has been out of work for 9 months but last month her payment was $19442 just working on the computer for a few hours. view it now ,,,,,,,,,,http://www.Fizzjob.com

8. Redcoat-Mic says:

I absolutely LOVE this game series, but I don’t think it’s ever been as good as “Soldiers: Heroes of World War II” as that game was all about small squads rather than the huge battalions the Men of War series gives you.

I’m all for huge armies now we’re getting more powerful computers and game engines rather than the tiny and covert missions of the last two decades. However in my opinion MoW engine doesn’t suit large amounts of units. There’s just too much going on to micromanage dozens of soldiers.

Case in point, just played the beta, half my units ran out of ammo and I haven’t found an easier way to resupply them other than send them to an ammo crate and manually put in their inventory. Doing this to 20 odd guys while trying to keep strategic control of the battlefield is difficult to say the least.

oWn4g3 says:

My feelings exactly. Soldiers: HoWWII had the best cooperative missions by far. That first mission of the sovjet campaign alone was beautifully crafted and allowed for many different strategies. From head-on tank assault to capturing the hidden PAKs or using the left flank behind the mine field. The fact that I can still remember this mission in all it’s glorious detail says a lot about the replayability and fun in cooperative LAN sessions.

Faces of War was trash, Men of War had some missions that resembled the original quality but also many big battle missions and Assault Squad was all about kind of repetitive mission goals. It was still fun because the engine allows for so many crazy things to happen but I really hope for some more “Commando”-like missions.

• Doth Messar says:

Well, you definitely have a fair point but I would counter by saying that you’re playing this game like it was a singleplayer mission in Soldiers: HoWW2. The style is different. Apart from machine gunners and snipers, if you run out of ammo just run them forward and kill them. The line of sight they afford you before they die is more valuable than restocking their inventories and keeping them alive anyway. They’re replaceable. Regular soldiers shouldn’t really be alive long enough anyway to run out of ammo.

9. sventoby says:

Aim is in the reach zone!

10. Doth Messar says:

I am in the beta and the last time I played it (I stopped playing it from utter disgust) the multiplayer was unplayable. The only time you could manage to completely play a full match was 1v1, if you were lucky, and all the other times you either crashed, the host crashed, or it was so laggy that one or more players left the game.

So far, from the “new” maps being shown, DMS seems to be focusing on small maps, they have reduced the ranges of all the MOW:AS1 tanks by at least 10 meters, some by 30 meters, and the balance of the nations is completely off, especially in the locked unit mode. The balance of the nations I don’t really mind, I understand it’s beta and it’s a matter of changing prices and values, but the instability of the game is not something acceptable. I have over 3,000 hours in MOW:AS1, and I don’t feel that same hook and love from this game in its current state. The release date is rapidly approaching, (which if anyone has been paying attention, the dates of everything related to this game have constantly either been reset or pushed back) and frankly I don’t think this is anywhere near ready for public release.

If you couldn’t tell I’m rather pissed about it.

11. Engonge says:

Anyone else thinks this is an overpriced patch?

12. AmaliaCLilley says:

my co-worker’s sister-in-law makes $84 hourly on the computer . She has been without a job for 6 months but last month her paycheck was $16898 just working on the computer for a few hours. visit here

===========================>>>> http://WWW.MAC30.COM

13. LindaTGonzalez says:

my roomate’s step-mother makes $89 /hr on the computer . She has been without a job for seven months but last month her pay check was $17938 just working on the computer for a few hours.
    visit their website,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.Com

14. wodin says:

Looks way to fast and a click fest for me. Now if this had been WEGO I’d have bought it.