Would Like To Know More: Infested Planet Lands March 6th

By Graham Smith on February 21st, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

These guys are cannon fodder, one way or another.

John, Craig and I used to meet mulitple times a week in front of a projector screen to watch good films, bad films, action films. Of everything that we watched – Arnold Schwarzenegger’s Hercules in New York and The Villain included – no one provided us with more entertainment than Paul Verhoeven. His films were good, bad and action all at once.

That’s why I look at Infested Planet and get a little thrill from its Starship Trooperisms. It’s a top-down strategy-lite in which a small squad of soldiers can mow down thousands of chitinous alien bugs. It looks slightly less satirically fascist, but from up here, I can pretend every single soldier is Casper Van Dien.

It’s been in Early Access for a while, but is super-available to ultra-buy come its full-release on March 6th. New trailer below.

It’s bound to be better than the inevitable Starship Troopers remake, anyway.

Alec liked it when he took a look at its beta in the middle of last year. I tend to enjoy real-time strategy games which simplify the standard glut of mechanics, so if this is a little bit tower defence-y, a little Cannon Fodder-y, then it’s alright by me. I’ll fire my proboscis deep inside it to extract critical thoughts before release.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Bull0 says:

They’re doing their part!

This comes out right after my birthday. That means I have to buy it. That’s how these things work when you’re old and people don’t buy you shit for your birthday anymore.

• The Random One says:

W… Would you like me to give you a birthday gift?

• Bull0 says:

Ha, I didn’t mean that to sound quite as pitiful as it did.

• adeliawerdmann says:

my co-worker’s aunt makes $70 hourly on the computer. She has been without a job for seven months but last month her paycheck was $19034 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read more on this web site,,,,,,,

• SillyWizard says:

Go for it. This was my first Early Access purchase way back when, and it’s the kind of thing that has convinced me that Early Access can be a good thing. A great game, well worth the purchase price.

And yes, as someone mentioned below, the dev is a sweetie. Give him moar munnies!

• Wils1956 says:

my best friend’s aunt makes $84 /hr on the laptop . She has been without a job for nine months but last month her pay check was $19525 just working on the laptop for a few hours. more tips here………..

……………………………………. http://WWW.JOBS84.COM

amateurviking says:

Michael Ironside is objectively great. Truly no other actor could deliver the line ‘they sucked his brains out’ as perfectly as he does.

3. Keyrock says:

I really really wish Hollywood would stop trying to remake Verhoeven movies. There’s not a director around today that can do what he did. That is, to make surprisingly insightful social commentary and satire wrapped up in a cheesy as hell, yet endlessly entertaining package.

• SillyWizard says:

I’d hesitate to suggest any of the good bits were intentional. The guy’s kind of a cro-magnon.

• Keyrock says:

If he only managed a single good movie then you could write it off as dumb luck or coincidence, but Verhoeven did it not just once (Robocop), but again (Total Recall), and again (Basic Instinct), and again (Starship Troopers). You don’t create that much awesomeness by accident. There is an art to doing what he did.

• LionsPhil says:

I had no idea the highs of Robocop and Total Recall were from the same guy as the mediocre Starship Troopers.

• SillyWizard says:

Mediocre?! It by no means did justice to the source material — which makes sense, as the director was unwilling/unable to read the fucking book — but the movie was exceptional in its own right.

I say the guy’s a cro-magnon exactly because of shit like the above: makes a movie knock-off of a book which he refuses to read.

That kind of irresponsible behavior leads me to believe that the greatness of his films is more accidental than anything…it just so happens that his particular slope-headed shtick is very digestible.

• Geebs says:

The weird thing is that when people who don’t understand the point of the movie – which was intended to make the book’s politics look completely ridiculous – talk about it being “unfaithful” to the book, they always mean “no robot suits” rather than “no Filipinos”

• SominiTheCommenter says:

@Geebs Wait, doesn’t everyone knows that?

• soldant says:

@Somini: Apparently not, because everybody knows Starship Troopers and 1984 are visions of the future and should be treated as such.

I fear for us all.

• SomeDuder says:

The movie was great, shame it didn’t have the powerarmor, but still. Also, mixed gender showers, awww yish.

4. jonahcutter says:

It’s pretty great. It’s the only tower-defense-ish game I’ve enjoyed. Graphics are clean and appealing. Great sound design.

It has an almost tabletop vibe to it and there are literally thousands of enemies. Things get properly gory.

Gameplay gets increasingly complex and tough. A very solid, satisfying game.

As far as Paul Verhoeven, here’s a good article analyzing this under-appreciated auteur:

5. Mbaya says:

I enjoyed the trailer, I want to know more!

Quite looking forward to this, March is going to be a busy gaming month.

Lord Custard Smingleigh says:

I very much enjoy Infested Planet. The way the bugs add new traits means that your first couple of hives are cakewalks, but by the end you’re coming up with new techniques for each hive. An earlier version I played until it ran out of content got a bit easy when you advance behind a moving line of turrets, but one I played more recently had some bugs evolve exoskeletons that reflect bullets, making my turret line into a self-immolating disaster, which was fun.

• Rovac says:

You’ll need flamethrower for that, short range but effective. Then the spitter came out and decimate them and everything go downhill after that. I think it would be fun if they add flame turret, still died to spitter though

As soon as the armored bugs and spitters spawn at the same time the game demand more micro management and you can’t just run & gun to their hives anymore, spawn timing and air support become essential. Medic is a must. Thank god for that pause button.

7. dE says:

This is a truely great game and I’ve been following it on and off ever since it was posted on Tigsource years ago. Helps that the Dev is a great person too, really helpful.

8. Geebs says:

MEDIIIIC!

9. Reapy says:

Great to see how this is coming along. I am not quite ready to pull the trigger on it but I have no doubt I want to try this sucker out as it approaches a full release.

10. MelonieJMcKinney says:

my buddy’s mom makes $74 hourly on the computer . She has been out of work for 9 months but last month her payment was $19442 just working on the computer for a few hours. view it now ,,,,,,,,,,http://www.Fizzjob.com

11. Hypnotron says:

Military intelligence said this area was clear!

12. yabonn says:

Never really believed “satirical” in “satirically fascist” Starship Troopers – the book version at least – maybe even the movie. More like “occasionnaly funny fascism”.

• tormos says:

The book is not intentionally satirical. Heinlein was pretty much just writing about a future society that he thought would be pretty neat (and, according to others, was also pretty fascistic). This was not particularly out of line with Heinlein’s other social and political views .

• yabonn says:

Agree. The book was there, shaking its little fist at the clouds and the youth, in its little corner of s.f. People who liked that also liked Frank Miller, Ayn Rand, the NRA and the Federalist Papers. An obscure and fine piece of american weird.

Then Verhoeven came and made a movie that could be liked equally by the Heinlein fans and the normals. That doesn’t make it a satire of Heinlein – it’s just that it’s a movie clever that way.

That catch : the marketing b.s. (“it’s ironic, don’t worry”) around the movie was the first – and oftentimes only – exposition of many to Heinlein. So you can still today hear about that anti-war satire movie (hum) and book (w.t.f.). It’s (arguably) not, and it’s not.

keithzg says:

As pointed out above, that the movie was by the same guy who made Robocop bolsters the claim that it’s deliberately satirical.

13. Y2Kafka says:

I just need to know though… how is it different from “Attack of the Paper Zombies”? I loved AotPZ but if it doesn’t add anything but better graphics I might give it a pass.

14. LoisARussell says:

my best friend’s ex-wife makes $74 an hour on the internet . She has been laid off for 6 months but last month her pay was $13706 just working on the internet for a few hours. blog link,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, http://www.Fizzjob.com