Cellmates: Team 17 To Publish The Escapists

By Adam Smith on February 24th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Backers of top-down prison break game The Escapists are no doubt aware that Team 17 have picked up the title for publication. An alpha version will be tunnelling into backer inboxes soon and the game will also be playable at EGX Rezzed. The Lair of the Worms appears to be making a concerted move into third-party publishing, having already signed minimalist stealth game Light, which was also creeping through the crowdfunding process when Team 17 spotted it. My advice? If you’re an indie developer, the best way to attract Team 17′s attention is a spot of top-down sneaking. Perhaps it’s time to start work on that roguelike Casanova sim you’ve been planning for the last five years.

A passing press release spoke to me of The Escapists:

The Escapists is a time management prison escape game that gives you the ‘freedom’ to live the life of a prison inmate, ultimately plotting and pulling off a daring escape!

To escape you’ll have to work around the strict prison schedule as best you can to avoid any unwanted attention from the guards. Craft weapons and tools from everyday objects you will find, or steal, around the prison but beware of cell shakedowns! All that stands between you and your freedom is a perfectly executed escape plan.

The Escapists was greenlit by Steam within just 96 hours of its application last year and is scheduled for release later in 2014.

The most recent update on the Kickstarter page mentions the addition of ventilation shafts, which are an essential ingredient in stealth/escape games.

Light will also be playable at Rezzed.

, , .

Surlywombat says:

Am I the only on wishing the guys and introvision could come to some sort of deal. I’d love to try breaking out of my prison some time.

• jonahcutter says:

No you’re not the only one.

I found myself wanting to play as a prisoner/gang leader in Prison Architect more than as the architect/manager. I wanted to break the systems, dodge the guards, sneak contraband around, incite gang wars, and take out rivals. I’m not even all that concerned with trying to escape. I just want an RTS game where you manage your prison gang in a power struggle against other gangs and the prison management.

Prison Architect 2: Gang Architect please.

• Synesthesia says:

Logged in to post the exact same thing. I saw the video thumbnail, and i thought: Hm, would my dogs find my tunnel?

phuzz says:

Admit it Adam, you only posted that screenshot at the top because it says ‘wang’ didn’t you?

3. Turin Turambar says:

Lovely idea for a game. I always wanted to do a prison escape, like in the old films…

4. dsop71 says:

Start working at home with Google! Just work for few hours and have more time with friends and family. I earn up to $500 per week. It’s a great work at home opportunity. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. Linked here http://7.ly/egQy

5. Excelle says:

Cool, this is from the guy who made the awesome Dizzy-a-like Spud’s Quest!

*cough* Go back it on Greenlight http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=214212775 *cough*

6. Oasx says:

For a moment there i thought that Team 17 would actually make a new game, but of course that would be a silly thought, why break the 20+ year streak of just remaking Worms?

7. Heliocentric says:

I’m glad Team 17 have become a force for good instead of just cropping (not a typo) terrible worms sequels.