Springing Into Spring: Divinity – Original Sin

By Adam Smith on February 24th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

It’s taken an enormous amount of willpower to resist the charms of Divinity: Original Sin since the Early Access version arrived on Steam. It’s not that I’m worried about playing parts of the game before it’s complete – I’ve already spent two days in its company – it’s that I’m in need of an RPG partner. Far too many of my friends are either unnerved by the idea of traipsing through a fantasy world with me while I talk to dogs, cats and cows, or they’re digging their heels in and waiting for the full game to be released. A new video shows some of the environments due when that happy event occurs, sometime in Spring. There are also weather effects. Around thirty seconds in, a big ol’ monster slips on some ice and falls on its arse.

Anyone who hasn’t played the game may not realise the importance the elements. Simply put, it’s possible to summon rain that soaks enemies, which makes them more vulnerable to a chain lightning attack. Hit them with a sword and they will most likely bleed. If the blood were to freeze, it might cause the enemies to lose their footing. Because they’re walking on their own frozen blood.

Yes. Weather is fun.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. Synesthesia says:

Is this the one with the crazy physics engine? You know the one i mean.
    also FRIST

• Synesthesia says:

eugh, i’d never done that. I feel filthy.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, you should be ashamed of yourself for writing FRIST in a comment. You should be (caps)locked up for that.

I’ve only played the first Divinity game, Divine Divinity, but I really liked that one. After the first playthrough I had mostly done everything already, so the replayability wasn’t huge (every class can learn the same spells), but it was fun while it lasted. Never played Beyond Divinity, because the demo sucked and then I went on with other games. This one is looking good, though, and I might try the other Divinity games that came after Beyond Divinity.

• BTAxis says:

No, that’s a different one. I forget the name though.

• Blackcompany says:

You probably mean Sui Generis. I kickstarted that one and, well…I don’t hold out a whole lot of hope we will see it. Ever. For the record: I would like to be wrong, but I don’t have a lot of hope.

As for Divinity: Original Sin, it looks quite good. I forget whether combat was to be turn based or real time – I would prefer turn based for isometric games with mouse navigation myself – but either way it looks quite good.

• tk421242 says:

Combat is turn based using an AP system similar to Fallout 2.

• Sandalwood says:

ad. sui generis: They promised a playable prequel/alpha thingie für the end of february/beginning of march. i guess we’ll see soon ^^

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

Ahhh yes, Sui Generis. I feel like I Kickstarted an effort to receive a 10-minute video every 6 months. At this rate I expect a playable game by around 2054.

• WrenBoy says:

Im a backer of Sui Generis too and have gotten much less pessimistic since the extended video they released. I was really impressed with the level design we saw there. If that is the standard throughout the game (and there is a little more in the way of life) I think its going to look and feel amazing.

Im still skeptical about the quality of the writing and its clear that they are way behind on content but I think that if they keep it simple they will deliver a solid game although its obviously going to be quite late. Reading between the lines on their updates it seems like they are way behind on time but not way over budget so I think its more likely than not that we will see a game.

2. XhomeB says:

This is the Ultima 7 successor we’ve been waiting for. You can do this, Larian! The alpha version proves you have the skills and passion to make this idea a reality.

Looking forward to the update that introduces NPC schedules, day/night cycle etc., hope we see them in the beta before the game’s launch. Sven Vincke mentioned a while ago the amount of work those things require has given them quite a headache, hence the delays.

3. Lexx87 says:

I’ll be friends with you Adam!

4. lautalocos says:

i checked the steam page and your articles, but im not sure of something

can you play this game in singleplayer? and is it balanced for only one person?
    i love the concept, but if the singleplayer experience isnt too good, then i wont get it

• RedViv says:

It’s perfectly playable in singleplayer. You always have the core party of two, which means that you’ll have one character be controlled by your co-op partner when playing with them, or otherwise you control both and will be able to use the full dialogue/skill check system without any disadvantages.

• lautalocos says:

good to know. i might get the early access

• dfuse says:

Aah was holding out because of this as well, all playtests and interviews seemed to focus on playing with 2 persons.

5. nrvsNRG says:

Man, Ive been so close to pulling the trigger on this, but just no I shouldn’t.

6. Chris Evans says:

I’ve been playing it on and off at semi-regular intervals and have fallen in love. I’m scared of getting too far in with the Alpha only to start again when the full game is released. Yet there is so much to do and so many different routes to take at first that I shouldn’t be scared.

• tk421242 says:

I have been very careful to limit my play time with it. Early access is one thing for games like 7 Days to Die or even Starbound when things are more like a sandbox but a traditional RPG like this is not something I want to spend a lot of time with until I know I can play all of the content. Right now I skip any dialogue and just sample out combat and various things and really like what I have seen. It runs really smooth on my modest pc and is definitely more of a traditional numbers heavy RPG then some of the more recent games that have been seen as RPGs. Anyone that was a fan of games like Fallout 2, Baldur’s Gate or Planescape: Torment should definitely keep an eye on this.

7. dsop71 says:

Start working at home with Google! Just work for few hours and have more time with friends and family. I earn up to $500 per week. It’s a great work at home opportunity. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. Linked here http://7.ly/egQy

8. Cronstintein says:

Looking forward to the full release, but not interested in this type of alpha.

9. PopeRatzo says:

I understand that developers think that it builds in more sales and prevents piracy, but why would you make a game that requires you to have more than just yourself to play.

If there’s no way to play as a single-player, then I guess I’ll just have to skip it no matter how nice it looks. I don’t play coop-only games.

• It's not me it's you says:

Have you attempted to decipher any of the things written about this game with those things in your eye holes? Or even perhaps the comment section on this very article?

If you sound out the words carefully, I’m sure you’ll get through it. And at the end there’ll be a prize: The knowledge that you’re wrong. Treasure it!

• tormos says:

His whole thing is that he doesn’t read articles or like video games, so your advice seems poorly considered

10. ZoddGuts says:

Co-op is optional guys, you can play this by just youself.

11. Noviere says:

I backed this, but have only played the alpha for about 15 minutes. It’s the type of game that I’ll wait for release to play… And I can’t wait :)

12. CaBBagE says:

I too dipped my toe in early on this one and am also keeping myself from going too far in. So far I like the combat system that feels smooth and as exciting as you’re going to get with a turn based affair and the humour/tone is really enjoyable too. It’s deffo one to watch! :)