Here’s That Arma 3 Dinosaur Mod You’ve Been Asking For

By Nathan Grayson on February 25th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

please help I appear to have no tongue

Universe: “I have become known for doing at least one thing no one will ever see coming per day. For example, at the dawn of time, it was existing. Last week, it was Miley Cyrus doing a halfway decent cover of Outkast’s “Hey Ya.” I must keep all beings sentient and otherwise on their toes (and otherwise).”

Pinky: “Gee Universe, what are we going to do tonight?”

Universe: “The same thing we do every night, Pinky… actually, I hadn’t thought about it. Wow. I’m really dropping the ball here. I have become complacent. I have failed.”

Pinky: “I don’t really understand, Universe, but this Arma 3 game is boooooooooooring. Nothing ever happens, and then I lose– NARF. Oh, I know! It needs a dinosaur level.”

Universe: “Why, Pinky, that’s entirely preposterous and frankly idiotic and… wait! That’s it! Pinky, you’re a genius.”

Pinky: “Narf? Also, when did I become the universe’s demigod sidekick? Brain?”

It’s Arma 3, but with a dinosaur! That is the whole thing, thus necessitating a silly intro involving copyrighted ’90s cartoon characters. For now this mod is only in the early stages, but silly ol’ out-of-place Mr Rex already waddles quite nicely, so that’s a good sign.

Next up? Fingers crossed for DinosaurZ. It’d kinda work, too. I mean, dinosaurs weren’t exactly known for their swollen, perfectly shaped brains, but they’d still be a sight more threatening than mindless zombies. I have no idea if a dinosaur apocalypse survival game would actually be any good, but I’d love to see someone try.

But now I’m getting waaaaaay ahead of myself. Dinosaurs in a hyper-realistic military simulation. It’ll probably be very silly. Are you prepared?

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. MajorManiac says:

This looks brilliant. But is it possible to put decent melee combat into the Arma engine? If not I guess a dinosaur that big could just run people over.

2. kevmscotland says:

On the subject of a DinosaurZ type mod, I’d be curious to see how that would effect the gameplay we’ve come to know from DayZ.

I think we would see less of the bandit culture and more of a requirement for teamwork if you had a greater threat like a pack of Velociraptor’s hunting you down, smelling your blood.
    You sure as hell wouldn’t have a bandit camped out on the edge of a tree line anyway.

Could be interesting.

• varangian says:

My thoughts exactly. DayZ, meh, played the mod and nothing I’ve read about the SA version gets me interested. DinosaurZ OTOH I might easily go for. Mod in ambush predators and hunting packs of raptors plus biggies that could only be taken down be a decent size team working together and you might get a game where survival was tough enough to ensure PvP wasn’t everybody’s default mode.

• Syra says:

This is so freaking weird. Last night I was dreaming about dayz but with super intelligent velociraptors instead of zombies…. Is the universe conspiring to make my dreams real? Can I expect an actual apocalypse to be forthcoming? Who knows. I like this though.

• The Random One says:

Ever since Garry announced he’d remove zombies from Rust I’ve been suggesting they be replaced by dinosaurs. I got witnesses, too.

• ucfalumknight says:

Wouldn’t it be DayD? I think that would be an amazing concept. Science manages to bring cloned dinos to life. Dinos break free and wreak havoc upon the world. Now, only survivors are left,. and they must band together or become today’s lunch. With a greater powered enemy, it would keep griefing down, and co-operative play a must. Imagine searching for places to sleep at night so the T-rex doesn’t eat you, but dang, those pesky raptors have infested the nearest abandoned building. And having to hunt for food. Maybe hunt for Compys. Boy, this sounds really good! Internets! Get on this one!

• hotmaildidntwork says:

They should make it a sequel to Dayz. Desperate for some method of thinning the zombie horde a small group of survivors locates a hidden research lab and begins to clone dinosaurs (the natural enemy of zombies). The experiments are a resounding success but when the dinosaurs fail to simply freeze to death the following winter the situation begins to decline.

• KirbyEvan says:

Spoiler Alert: Even with higher environmental stakes, people will still murder and be assholes for shits and giggles.

Giving the zombies more health / higher attack won’t change that.

• Josh W says:

Would be tricky to make a stealth system revolving around smell, but on the other hand, it could be pretty amasing for them to approximate it as a way to have a set of dinosaurs follow you across the map, go to sound once they’ve entered a certain radius of you, and only have it kick in again when they are close to you, and you can hear them sniffing. That way hide next to them and they have a chance to find you anyway, and run away and they may follow you, unless they find a more interesting person to track or you somehow break your trail.

I still love the idea of combining that with the more experienced players being prefered by the zombies/dinosaurs, it’d still fit really nicely, possibly better actually.

3. Low Life says:

Engage … T-Rex … at … 12 o’clock.

4. XhomeB says:

Not a fan of the stupid lyrics, but song-related complaints aside, it’s a great, nicely animated model!
    ArmA 3 is a great “platform” to build upon in general, here’s hoping some good mods show up eventually.

5. identiti_crisis says:

Hmmm, that’s odd. I’m not convinced this will be a success.

You know anybody who can network eight connection machines and de-bug two million lines of code for what they’re paid for this job? Because if you can, I’d love to see them try.

That said, I’ve wanted a kind of wilderness dino survival game, like the old Carnivores games in feel, but with a more persistent presence in the world (you could escape whenever you wanted to, to the safety of your flying trophy room). If they pull that off, well, hold on to your butts.

Obviously we’re getting waaay ahead of ourselves here. It’s impressive to see nonetheless. (Clever girl?)

• keeperxiii says:

Hold on to your butt. You may want to look at Project Crynosaurs (human survival in a dinosaur world) and Saurian (same thing but you play as the dino in a realistic portrayal of Cretaceous North America). You’d have to lose your glasses in a puddle of mud and get attacked by a dilophosaurus to avoid these games!

6. XhomeB says:

By the way, there’s apparently a Trespasser Remake in the works!

7. phuzz says:

In some ways a dinosaur apocalypse is more plausible than zombies, dinosaurs have actually existed on this planet and their ancestors are still here. All it takes is one evil genius with a cloning lab and some dino DNA* and we’re all fuct.

* I said more plausible, not actually plausible.

• Rao Dao Zao says:

Apparently you can fairly easily induce chickens to have teeth, so it’s more likely we’ll get pseudo-dinosaurs by reverse engineering than actual dinosaurs by cloning.

Which is cool, because then we can invent wacky new ones instead of zombie and BIGGER ZOMBIE.

• Menthalion says:

You might be on to something, I’d secure the book and movie rights ASAP if I were you.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

I would recommend Laura Dern, Jeff Goldblum, Sam Neil and Richard Attenborough for the movie. Sounds like it could be good.

• Tommando says:

I doubt the dinosaurs could pull off a full scale apocalypse; at best they’d manage a brief rampage before succumbing to the power of modern weapons. Unless they’re were-dinosaurs and everyone they bite becomes a dinosaur. Then we may have a problem.

8. tortov says:

Now they only need a cadillac mod.

9. Menthalion says:

For more against-the-odds mods, how bout Giants instead of Dino’s or Zombies ? Chivalry Giantslayer mod

10. Peter says:

I’m amazed no one has brought this up yet.. http://www.thestompingland.com/

11. takfar says:

Multiplayer Carnivores remake with Oculus Rift Integration. So many soiled underpants.

12. Jad says:

For those that haven’t heard it, here’s another good Hey Ya! cover (and the one that it sounds like Miley is basing her version off of):

Also, I have to give a bit of credit to Miley for wearing a huge shirt with a giant image of her own face on both the front and the back — that goes beyond just stupid into true rock-star levels of hubris. Good on her.

Don’t have too much to say about the actual mod, other than all games are made better by dinosaur mods. And it seems like Arma would be even more so.

13. Korvus Redmane says:

That T. rex needs feathers!

14. Sidewinder says:

“I have no idea if a dinosaur apocalypse survival game would actually be any good”

And this was how I came to wonder if Mr. Grayson had ever actually played a video game.

• Sharlie Shaplin says:

Maybe he played Trespasser, and it soured his opinion on the matter forever. I still have nightmares about aiming with that arm and hand implementation.

15. SuicideKing says:

Hahaha that was a good opening sequence. If this work spans an entirely new game mode (“Jurassic Hunt” or something) in Arma that would be cool. Arguably more fun than Zeus mode.

Comment on this story