Another Nail In The Coffee: Caffeine

By Adam Smith on February 25th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Spielberg made me afraid to go into the water, Hitchcock made me afraid to stand underneath the water and now I’m worried that Caffeine is going to make me afraid to add delicious coffee to the water. It’s a terrible state of affairs when a man can’t swim, wash or stay awake and focused for more than ten minutes, but that is the future I face. Caffeine has an odd plot: “You awaken aboard a caffeine mining space station to find yourself, a young boy seemingly all alone. The only thing you know for sure? Something bad has transpired here…” I’ve been to many abandoned space stations and it’s inevitable that bad things have either happened or are about to happen. But a caffeine mining station? That’s new. The trailer is a masterclass of audio design and reminds me of Moon’s environmental excellence.

The two videos below demonstrate the importance of sound to horror. The first is a trailer with a lovely bit of music playing over it. Eerie perhaps, but not alarming.

And this one is a trouser-dampener, showing many of the same environments but as they will appear in-game, with a player wandering through. The music has been replaced by startling sounds.

A first-person horror adventure then, I’m guessing, although we’ll probably have to wait for the upcoming demo to find out how much running away is involved. The lone developer responsible is already taking Paypal donations but plans to launch a full crowdfunding campaign through either Indiegogo or Kickstarter sometime after the demo has been released to the public.

As for the caffeine? A response on the IndieDB page informs us that it will be integral.

I’m still changing around the story at this point and want the coffee to be well woven into it

Incidentally, if you didn’t watch the Jaws video linked in the first paragraph, you really should. It’s a recording of the Universal Studios tour and I’ve never heard a tour guide sound so bored by the ‘death’ of a colleague.

“There are sharks here. I don’t know why.”

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. CookPassBabtridge says:

I suddenly feel compelled to wonder whats happening with Sonder (The Station). The environments look very similar, but with less Alan Parsons and more AAAAGGGGHHHHH

2. pupsikaso says:

What was that other horror game on some kind of space station that was also in development?

3. SkittleDiddler says:

Gone Home with coffee?

• GameCat says:

Gone Starbucks

• LennyLeonardo says:

Gone home but went out again because home is really boring and I really wanted to I don’t know see the sun set except its only three PM so I walked round the park twice and I saw like ten dogs and now I’m really thirsty but if I have a drink of water I’ll need to pee AGAIN and it can’t be healthy to have to go ten times in one afternoon I’m also hungry I think I’ll have a banana.

4. Turkey says:

Haven’t they just recently found that caffeine doesn’t actually give you any sort of energy and it’s just the withdrawals playing a trick on your brain?

• KevinLew says:

Caffeine is definitely a stimulant. Saying that it’s just a trick of the mind is like saying that smoking isn’t dangerous or addictive at all, and all the warnings and negativity is just a clever smear campaign by the American Cancer Society.

• iyokus says:

You might be thinking of sugar. IIRC a recent study with children found that the ‘sugar high’ was a myth.

• StarkeRealm says:

I could have sworn the “sugar high” was when the enzyme system for breaking down sugar overloaded, and instead started breaking it down into an alcohol.

• Sam says:

The positive mental effects of caffeine are almost certainly due to it being an antagonist of adenosine receptors in the brain. That means that while there’s caffeine hanging about those receptors pick up far less adenosine than normal. It’s that lack of activation of adenosine receptors which is thought to cause the wakefulness and alertness.
      Unfortunately our body reacts to this by creating more adenosine receptors. The effect is that after a week or two of regular caffeine intake our adenosine receptors are receptoring the normal amount of adenosine. If we then stop taking caffeine after about 12 hours all those receptors it was antagonising are opened up and we get headaches, tiredness, and all kinds of unpleasant “I need coffee” feelings.

So yeah, it seems that for habitual caffeine takers, so far as mental effects are concerned all it really does is return you to a normal state. With some added spikes as the caffeine level fluctuates throughout the day.
      Personally I’ve avoided caffeine for years now, and feel just as good as I did after a morning cup of coffee back when I drank it regularly. If I do drink a cup now it has a very noticable effect, so is useful as a temporary measure for some extreme circumstance.

• waaaaaaaals says:

A lot of this is why I mostly don’t bother with caffeine.

I’ve got flatmates who drink 5-10 cups of coffee a day and when I emptied out their jar and replaced it with decaffeinated coffee, they were bordering on being unable to function as human beings.

Caffeine addiction is a pretty nasty thing to inflict upon yourself.

• Hypocee says:

The voodoo priest and all his powders were as nothing compared to espresso, cappuccino, and mocha, which are stronger than all the religions of the world combined, and perhaps stronger than the human soul itself.’

‘”Note,” I demanded, “that caffeine was introduced to Europe in the seventeenth century, post-Renaissance. Why is it, do you think, that the art of the Renaissance and the classical period has never been surpassed? The great heights were reached on angels’ wings, not via a filthy corruption brewed from a bean that poisons its own tree.

The greatest per capita consumption of coffee in the world is in Finland. True, they held back the Russians, but they’re the most nervous people on earth, no one understands their language, and they beat themselves with branches.

Catherine the Great used one pound of coffee to four cups of water, which is, quite frankly, why she screwed horses…”‘

‘Squite a good book.

5. X_kot says:

Oh man, that Universal Studios tram tour. I’ve been on the one in California and the one in Florida. The former unashamedly acknowledges the campiness and visual trickery of early Hollywood, whereas the latter tries too hard to impress with animatronics and fire effects. Better rollercoasters in Florida, though.

6. Didden says:

This space station needs a serious application of WD40

7. TechnicalBen says:

All I can think of is “Stuck on this damned space station and all I have for company is the coffee” tagline. But that’s not horror, but is more the game I’d play, tension and bleak comedy.

8. rcguitarist says:

It’s kind of hard for me to see this game as spooky when everything in the gameplay footage looks cartoony. Might be on the source engine because it looks like team fortress 2 with the environmental lighting cranked down.

• The Random One says:

I’m pretty surprised no one’s made a funny parody of Amnesia style first person arghers. It’d have clowns as enemies because of course it would.

9. pilouuuu says:

This seems like a great game to play with Oculus Rift. Obligatory scentful coffee cup on the desk in front of you. Hopefully you don’t spill it all around while playing!

10. P7uen says:

There’ll be more of a buzz around this game once they confirm it’s not developed with Java.

• dylanbrowne says:

I can confirm that I am not using Java, Caffeine is using UDK :)

• P7uen says:

My attempt at a pun thread has bean derailed :(

• dylanbrowne says:

haha i did figure it was a pun ;) just so you know! :D

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Yeah but in a pun thread every reply is meant to be a pun on the same theme. Even if it becomes a bit of a … grind.

11. azrd79 says:

Dang mass effect flares. All I can think of when I see this is that the PC is running around squinting really hard with his head bent sideways. About the only thing more annoying is dirty lens effects.

• ZIGS says:

Now all it needs is depth of field and motion blur and the NEXTGEN makeover will be complete

• TheMasquerader says:

Agreed :(
        I kept hoping this game would have some actual gameplay. But perhaps it will in the future.

12. Fenix says:

Really, really, REALLY like the music in the first trailer. Would buy an album if it was just music like that