Rezzed ’14: Alien, Dreamfall, Volume, DayZ + Much Stuff

By Alec Meer on February 25th, 2014 at 3:30 pm.

RPS isn’t quite so involved in Rezzed this year, but a couple of us will be popping along to the Eurogamer-organised UK PC & indie show (which returns to Midlands capital Birmingham next month), so possibly see you there? It bears a new name – EGX Rezzed – but retains a snazzy purple colour scheme and an intention to be the UK’s friendlier, calmer, more offbeat games expo.

You’ll also see and play some very exciting-sounding videogames from the worlds of mainstream and indie alike.

Sessions at the three-day expo next month include the Creative Assembly and their Alien: Isolation, Red Thread Games returning to show off more of their Dreamfall Chapters, Bohemia’s Dean Hall with another enthusiastic DayZ presentation, Mike ‘Thomas Was Alone’ Bithell and his new stealth game Volume, Spilt Milk’s 80s-theme roguelike/shmup Tango Fiesta, The Indie Stone with Project Zomboid and assorted panels on storytelling, fear and AI.

There’ll be a load of games to play too, including Wasteland 2, the aforementioned Alien (first time on show to the public, in fact), 10 Second Ninja, Hotline Miami 2, Luftrausers, Stronghold Crusader 2, War for the Overworld and, oh, all of these.

Returning is the Leftfield Collection of smaller, crazier, excitinger indie fare. That’s where you’re most likely to find any attending RPSers hanging out, I suspect.

The show’s on at the NEC in Birmingham, 28-30 March, and tickets (in afternoon, day or complete weekend flavours) are still on sale here.

Here’s a trailer for the show:

Jolly good.

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. Spilt Milk Studios says:

Wahey, can’t wait! Please do ask us some questions for us to answer on the day in these here comments. It’s always fun to properly address what you guys want to hear rather than blathering on.

I’ll be sure to answer anything you can think of in the talk on the day.

Except that. That’s just disgusting.

2. Lenderz says:

How come RPS isn’t as involved this year? I booked this year on the strength of RPS’s contribution last year.

Lexx87 says:

I’m quite disappointed this has gone from a PC only show to just…the Expo again but in Birmingham. Okay it’s not quite that, but close enough.

The first one in Brighton was great and really felt like its own thing.

• Creeping Death says:

Yeah, the first year in Brighton was fantastic. I went for the full weekend last year and really wish I hadn’t. I don’t understand the move to a bigger venue when it felt like it had less on display than the first year.

Oh well. I’ll be passing on it this year so I guess my opinion doesn’t really matter.

ajaygunn says:

I agree with you there, Brighton felt very special, but last year’s event didn’t really have the content or attendance to fill the cavernous NEC hall. It also managed the dubious achievement of feeling far dingier and darker whilst being in a bigger venue.

I still enjoyed myself however, and since I now live very close I’ve booked my ticket for this tear’s event. I’m saddened by RPS’s lesser involvement this year, but I have faith that it is the attendees themselves that will make the expo worth visiting.

3. mauzed says:

Oh, I’m sorry RPS is not so much involved, I was hoping to show you our little game.

4. Deano2099 says:

Any board gaming stuff happening? Working with SUSD again??

ajaygunn says:

I found the first Rezzed to have a very friendly and inviting board game section, perhaps as a result of it being partitioned into the cafe at the side of the hall. Last year’s was far more loud and raucous, which put me off taking a look all together. It could have just been unfortunate timing that I only ever passed by during particularly busy periods, but I di hope that this year it will be welcoming to the casual observer and player.

5. Radiant says:

EGX?
    Will there be in-line skating?

6. Screamer says:

What’s DayZ gonna show? More Zombis walking through walls?

• PopeRatzo says:

It’s a racket they’re trying to work: Have a game in the stores, but still be able to talk about it in the future tense even though it’s clearly all the game it’s going to ever be already.

We’re going to be seeing a lot of these “Early Access” scams in the future. Whatever the original motivation, early access is going to prove toxic for people who want to play good games.

What was the last early access game that was actually completed and is now widely considered a completed, successful game (microtransaction games don’t count)?

• blahblahblah says:

Minecraft

• The Random One says:

Don’t Starve

• Spilt Milk Studios says:

Speaking as a developer, I think a lot of Early Access games have indeed been disappointing… but then a lot of them are not done because they’re not done. Games take a LONG time to make, and that’s just when they’re in a vacuum, without public paying to play. The fact that a lot of Early Access games aren’t yet finished is simply down to this fact, and I think perhaps a lot of gamers were never really exposed to the scale of even the smallest indie title so it seems worse than it is?

Of course I might be completely wrong. Hoping our Early Access plans for Tango Fiesta don’t go awry!