You Should Be Watching This Gods Will Be Watching Trailer

By Graham Smith on February 26th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

An old image, but too cute not to use.

Gods Will Be Watching, the violent point-and-click thriller, was initially aiming for a February release, but its since been pushed back to the summer, giving the team more time to finish the game and more time to release moody trailers full of beautiful pixel art. The latest is below, is typically stylish, and apparently has something against kneecaps.

Gods Will Be Watching started life as a Ludum Dare entry, and there’s still a playable browser prototype available over at the official site. A successful IndieGoGo campaign has allowed the team to expand the project considerably, but much of its core concepts were present from the beginning. It’s a sci-fi point-and-click adventure about making moral decisions and exploring consequences. Moral decisions like, “Is eating your friends the best way to stay alive, or just the easiest?”

Clarification, please: are those things mutually exclusive?

I’m mainly interested in it for the pixel art, which sits somewhere between the grimy futuristic aesthetic of Beneath A Steel Sky and the simpler, thin-limbed art style of Sword & Sworcery.

__________________

« | »

, .

1. wwoup92 says:

This mom is blessed; I just want to add her story. She has been unemployed for months but now receiving money in her spare time on laptop. She basically makes $6000-$8000 a month online here http://7.ly/egQy

• nebnebben says:

Are you my friend?
      Can I eat you?
      Will you mind being eaten even if not my friend?
      I do love the taste of spam; human spam is my favourite meat (:

• PegasusOrgans says:

I apologize to you on behalf of RockPaperShotgun. This Nubnibbling guy was wrong to mock you as he did. The story of your poor, unemployed mother is truly touching, you should not feel ashamed and pretend she is not really your mother. Staying employed can be difficult for many elderly people, especially in the tumultuous economic times we find ourselves in. There is no shame in not being able to keep up and not feel the effects of worldwide budget cuts. Heck, the game industry alone has had so many stories of large-scale layoffs, so you should, in fact, be proud of your mother.

By the way, welcome to RPS, I hope to have fruitful discussions about all the recent changes on the PC gaming landscape these last couple of years!

2. Kobest says:

User: Zeneszpaul? Did I just notice a Hungarian expression there? (Zenesz Paul = Musician Paul)

I can’t wait for the game but I do hope they fix something that was a bit off in the Ludum Dare entry, namely, that people started losing their minds way too quickly. While I understand that a doctor who hasn’t been on a battlefield might lose his/her mind faster, a soldier, on the other hand, should be able to survive much longer than that.

• GreyShock says:

Indeed! The doctor it’s called so because of Deconstructeam’s musician Pablo – Paul in english – and used the Hungarian word for musician to complete the homage :)

3. pilouuuu says:

Great! I loved the browser-based version.

4. Pich says:

i ws on a thread they made on /v/ once, looks pretty good.

5. quijote3000 says:

I discovered this game with Ludum Dare contest, and I was quite taken by it.
    I approached this game with the theory of the greater good. Is OK killing your friends, and eating them, if in exchange you can save a far, far, greater number of people? As captain of the mission I decided to go for the greater good.

6. ManOfSomeNote says:

I really liked the time I spent with it, but I was frustrated with the length of the game compared to how easy it was to screw it all up. I would imagine that extending the thing will make it more awful to restart. But I’m optimistic!

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

When did what we used to call “graphics” on the Amiga, start being called “pixel art” on the pc?

• AngelTear says:

I think mostly when it stopped being a technical constraint and it started being an aesthetic choice (and often a budget constraint?)

Honestly, I don’t know where I stand on this, but it doesn’t bother me if the game is good; and I have to say, there are some beautiful pixelated games (Fez)

• HothMonster says:

Show me an Amiga game with that much style and detail.

It’s not a technological limitation, it’s a style choice by the art director. When done well it can look beautiful. I think this game is doing it well from what I have seen so far. If that first screen would have come from your Amiga in 1986 you would have shit bricks.

Everything doesn’t need to be photo-realistic or on the cutting edge of technology. An abstract watercolor can hold just as much significance as a portrait done with oil and canvas.

• reggiep says:

You should go look up what amiga graphics looked like. They were simply lower resolution, but certainly not without excellent pixelated detail.

• RobF says:

Err… OK then.

There’s a starter for ten.

• TechnicalBen says:

I’d call that one digital painting (but at a low resolution). No, not pixel art.
          Pixel art is very much about how you use the pixels, apparently. We are talking about “art” here, so a lot is subjective.

An example of pixel art of the 90s and 80s would be the original Mario.
          For an Amiga game, hmmm… never played any really, Lemmings?

For the modern era, it is about setting a specific art style, limited to the low resolution of pixels, and expanding on it. This differs from the digital drawings/paintings/art above you linked to, in that the latter tries to draw an object/subject/character as they appear. But pixel art stylizes or fits them to the pixels. We know the characters don’t really have skinny legs, Mario is not really 5 pixels high, but they are stylized to look like this in an artistic way.

Neither is “better”, it’s just each one is done for different reasons or artistic choices.

• RobF says:

It’s definitely pixel art.

• TechnicalBen says:

Then what do you defines a “pixel art”? I’d say something drawn on the level of pixels. Any “paint” program or teqnique would be digital painting. Else all computer art is “pixel art” as it all uses pixels.

• DrollRemark says:

It looks like a pixel, but it’s actually not, because the resolution is far higher. Hence, pixel art.

• RobF says:

I have no idea what you’re even asking, it’s pixel art. It’s art that’s absolutely reliant on pixel by pixel manipulation and there’s loads of Amiga games with incredible pixel art, Agony being one of the more beautiful ones.

The idea that pixel art is some sort of lumped together best we can do because we’ve got no artist thing is a very modern indie conceit, it does not define what pixel art is. If someone was to cough up the money to some of the more talented folks on the pixelation forums, they could have pixel art like this too, better even given some of the talent on display.

But that’s time consuming and expensive which is how we end up with this often soulless or scrappy “good enough” art made up of pixels instead.

• Bull0 says:

“That art is too artistic, so it’s no longer art!”

• pilouuuu says:

Wow, Shadow of the Beast definitely looked better than this. Its gameplay was shit though. Are you comparing this graphics to what? Lemmings?

• Goodtwist says:

*shat

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I wasn’t criticising it in the slightest, more just betraying my age. But to answer your question, “Another World” was pretty amazing visually. Depends on your personal cup of tea I suppose.

• TechnicalBen says:

Your right there. But I guess pixel art applies more to a stylized and exaggerated use of pixels to show characters and environments. Something like FTL would still be pixel art, but closer to sprite art. Where as “McPixel” (as named :P ) is more pixel art and less about sprites.

Perhaps something like Police Quest or Space Quest harps back to the pixel art of old. Not that Sprite are is better/worse, but that we’d just call it by a different name so we know what we are talking about.

• Geebs says:

Sprite art is, of course, what everybody was doing with the Repton 3 editor.

I propose we lump all art forms under “Pixmap art”. Just so everybody knows what we’re talking about.

8. Doganpc says:

I used to be a spacefarer like you; then someone judo chopped my knee.

9. P-Dazzle says:

I can’t wait to hurt peoples knees in this game.

• Dezmiatu says:

I hope there’s a robust complication engine to handle infections, limp severity, and bone splintering.

• Shadowcat says:

It would be weird if knees were the only thing you could injure.

Maybe everyone is wearing high-tech space armour, with just one weakness.

• Gap Gen says:

Everyone’s knees have a health bar, you can top it off with special potions or by eating wall chicken.

• Geebs says:

That’s not the weird part. The weird part is that everybody is wearing kneepads, and that the guys attacking the knees took away beard-man’s shirt but left his kneepads.

I think this is some natural extension of fantasy chain mail. Only the knees are armoured, and the contemporary rules of chivalry ensure that only knees can be attacked.

10. Monkeh says:

Glad I backed this, since I’ve been wanting a non-linear point&click game for quite a while now. With this and Dropsy coming this year, I think I’ll be more than satisfied! Plus this game is just dripping with style.

11. wererogue says:

“Is eating your friends the best way to stay alive, or just the easiest?”

The use of “just” implies that they aren’t mutually exclusive. The question could be rephrased as “Eating your friends is the easiest way to stay alive. Is it the best?”

This looks really interesting.

12. Catweasel says:

The art style turns me off big time.

Comment on this story