ZeldaVR Ports The NES Original To First-Person Oculus Rift

By Graham Smith on February 26th, 2014 at 6:00 pm.

Zelda? More like Celda.

Zelda games shall be forever gripped close to Nintendo’s chest, but remakes, demakes and homages frequently turn up on the shores of PC gaming. Zelda VR aims to re-build The Legend of Zelda – yeah, the original, top-down, NES Zelda – for virtual reality headsets.

An early build is available to download now, and I’ve had a go in a video below.

Yeah, we could have posted about this a few days ago, but I wanted to have a go of it first. Look, I don’t even babble incoherently over the video:

Pretty greens and blues! So pretty.

It’s also a pretty early version of the game, featuring only a few enemy types and some early areas. You can walk down into a cave to receive your sword at the start of your adventure though, and if you’ve any nostalgic bone in your body, seeing that in 3D will tickle it. Also it turns out that Zelda was kind of a first-person shooter in disguise? Maybe all games are.

Or maybe we name our genres based on camera perspectives and that’s really dumb.

I’ve been playing around with the Rift again over the past week, and I’m more convinced than ever that it’s a big deal. ZeldaVR is downloaded via VirtualReality.io, a tool which provides an VR-designed interface for downloading games, apps and other prototypes. There are a few experiences on there that are similarly worth trying, including Titans of Space, which takes you on a guided tour of our solar system. Nothing quite conveys the awesome scale of Rigel than having to crane your neck back just to see its edge.

VirtualReality.io can be downloaded from here, and Zelda VR is easily found within.

, , , , .

1. Tazer says:

“An early build is available to download now” ; Am I the only one waiting on the retail Occulus Rift? I feel like everyone already has one and there is a thriving community.

2. RobinOttens says:

maybe we name our genres based on camera perspectives and that’s really dumb.

Which is why my brother invented this system with game genres based on the primary challenges or actions of a game. I believe the Zelda series falls in the ‘Puzzle-Solve & Navigate’ category? Though maybe the first Zelda would fit the ‘Shoot & Navigate’ category better. All hail labels and semantics!

• LevelHeaded says:

The “shoot a thing from the eyes of a man” category is pretty popular.

• The Random One says:

So all this time people were complaining about Call of Duty because they expected a Shooting & Navigation game and it was only Shooting!

3. SillyWizard says:

WHAT THE FUCK YES YES GIMME NAO!!!

4. SillyWizard says:

Ugh, I can’t even wrap my head around how terrifying confronting like-likes and…whatever those hoppy-spidery things are.

Blurgh! This is seriously the coolest thing I think I’ve ever seen in videogames.

5. DickSocrates says:

I’ll eat my sweaty underpants if the Oculus Rift sells well enough for anyone to make a game for it.

• Henke says:

Well you better start preparing that underwear then. Quite a few games have already been made for it (Time Rifters, Proton Pulse Rift, and Ciess, for instance) and are available though the VirtualReality.io app linked in the article. I’ve been using the Rift this past week and… yeah, I think it’s gonna sell just fine. Won’t be hard to sway people to buy one, just let them try it once. :)

6. Frank says:

Wow, I never realized how much I needed one of these VR helmets until now!

7. Chmilz says:

The trend of everyone but Nintendo doing what Nintendo should be doing continues.

8. wwoup92 says:

This mom is blessed; I just want to add her story. She has been unemployed for months but now receiving money in her spare time on laptop. She basically makes $6000-$8000 a month online here http://7.ly/egQy

9. Enkinan says:

How does the Rift work for glasses wearers?

• TWChristine says:

Apparently they come with different lenses to use.

• fatgleeson says:

I’ve seen at least 3 people wearing glasses using the Rift, one of them went to take off their glasses before trying it and the owner specifically said they don’t need to take them off. Unless you wear huge glasses

• baristan says:

It works well. I have a dev kit and use it with glasses. The FOV is a bit bigger without glasses, but using the alternate lenses that came with the dev kit makes the screen door effect worse.

10. bill says:

More of this please. It’s more valuable for readers (unless time is of the essence).
    My pet hate is blog articles recommending things that end with something like “I haven’t had a go yet..”

11. welverin says:

WE don’t name our genres after camera perspectives.

The shooter genre is sub-categorized by camera perspective, somehow over the last year or two people have stupidly started treating first-person shooter (FPS) and the first-person perspective as synonymous. Such that things like Gone Home and Myst get referred to as FPS even though there not a bit of shooting to be found.

12. TWChristine says:

I would probably just stand around, surrounded by Zols and go “Awwwww! You’re even cuter this way!” And then I’d die.

13. Spongbo says:

Love that with the standard Oculus VR output, you can do the “stereogram” thing with your eyes and see the actual 3D effect in what becomes the “middle” screen, by pushing out your focal distance until the two images overlap.

I imagine it works best (only works) with the small inline size of the videos, I don’t think my eyes are wide enough to handle more than a 3-inch divergence :)