Alternatingly Current – Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect

By John Walker on February 27th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Tex Murphy: Tesla Effect was Kickstarted in June two years ago, and supposed to be released in December 2012. That was always a touch hopeful. However, come December 2013 there was still no indication of a release date, and since then there’s been an ominous quiet. Fortunately that quiet is broken, with Tex “Chris Jones” Murphy releasing a new video to explain the gap. The game, he says, is now the length of two full Tex Murphy adventures.

This is then confusingly described as “about the size of The Pandora Directive”, which would be one Tex Murphy adventure. But one big one. Anyway, it’s twice as big as they’d anticipated. They’ve also decided to release the game in a monitor-confusing 2K, rather than the originally pledged 1080p. I imagine they only made the first promise to assure people this wasn’t going to be postage-stamp videos stretched to blurring, as was the way of the early 90s FMV gaming. Looks like they filmed it rather high-def then.

It’s actually rather appropriate for this daft series to be the first to embrace 2K (the resolution, not the publisher), as Tex Murphy: Overseer was supposed to be the first game to create a special version for new-fangled DVDs in 1998. Groundbreaking, without anyone really noticing – that’s the Access/Big Finish Way.

, , .

1. Emeraude says:

As much as I enjoy the campiness, I’m not sure I could survive twice the length of over-acting and the ensuring brain-melt.

Guess I’ll have to valiantly soldier on and see if it can be done !

2. CookPassBabtridge says:

Is this a good thing then? I lack a reference point

• tomimt says:

Pandora Directive is pretty massive as far FMV adventures go. It has several different paths you can take plot wise, which all give you different ending. And it definetly was the biggest and propably most liked Tex game as well.

• Keyrock says:

It is a very good thing. The Pandora Directive is indeed a very big game, huge by point & click standards, not to mention, a really excellent game.

• Unclepauly says:

The reference point is your soul. Enjoy the search.

3. Keyrock says:

Nice. I’m actually planning to build an entirely new rig in the near future (almost certainly not before this comes out, if it does indeed come out in April) including a 1440p monitor (and a video card capable of powering it), so I will actually be able to take advantage of the 2k resolution.

• Unclepauly says:

You could be fine with a 1080p screen for this game as 2k res is just a hair bigger.

4. Stardog says:

Those FMV shots look way better that the old games.

heretic says:

I’ve only played under a killing moon but I really enjoyed it as a kid, quite interested to see it coming back tbh!

Loved the humour in it, I remember Tex dying when I did something stupid and then him having a silly chat with god as the game over :D

It also had a great hint system I seem to remember, you’d earn points by exploring and trying things out, then you could purchase hints if you were stuck!

• tomimt says:

All the Tex games have very nice hint systems, which keep taps on what you’ve actually done, so you can get usefull tips if you so choose. And yes, you do use points to reveal the hints, so they aren’t thrown to your face either.

Despite Tex games are remembered from cheesy acting, they actually did a lot more right than most adventure games.

• Keyrock says:

The cheesy acting in the Tex Murphy games work really well because the game doesn’t take itself too seriously and because of the self-deprecating humor.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Bad acting is good, entertaining acting when done well. I like both movies and games with bad acting.

Tom De Roeck says:

2K filming is their best bet for cheapness. 4K cams are still expensive or wonky sometimes. I approve of this. (DEATH TO THE HD INFIDELS!)

7. Shadowcat says:

*appreciative applause for the title*

8. DickSocrates says:

The special effects look quite good. The atmosphere and lighting is impressive. It doesn’t *real* but that’s not possible or the point. It doesn’t look cheap or shoddy, which is always the primary problem with green screen stuff. Never played a Tex Murphy game, not sure I ever will, but I’m glad to see something so silly come back and actually be done properly.

9. bbungle says:

Wow! 2k resolution instead of 1080! The mind boggles with what they’ll be able to achieve with that extra 80 pixels.

• 00m says:

Did I miss something? I thought it was ~138 000 pixels more (1920*1080 vs 2048*1080).

10. Darth Gangrel says: