Er, What? – Fearless Fantasy Is A Gestural Comedy RPG

By Nathan Grayson on February 28th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

glad to see my nightmares are still getting work

I don’t really know what to make of Fearless Fantasy. It seems extremely goofy and weird, and I like both those things, but oh goodness what even is it? Let’s try breaking it down: the role-player is being published by No Time To Explain creator tinyBuild, and it’s turn-based in a very JRPG way. Except not at all, because you don’t just choose an option and watch your party play patty cake with swords until the next round. Each attack involves copious mouse gestures, which I initially took to mean you had to pretend to be a rodent in front of a camera but now realize we’re talking about computers because we’re always talking about computers. Silly me. Trailer below.

Here’s the basic premise, per developer Enter Skies:

“Fearless Fantasy is probably the weirdest RPG you’ll play this year. It’s a turn-based game that deeply involves players during every turn. You use gestures (with the mouse) to score critical hits, resulting in very involved and interesting gameplay on every turn.”

“As Leon, the world’s most dangerous bounty hunter, you embark on a mission to slay the world’s weirdest creatures, and save a girl from an awful marriage.”

The art certainly looks strange. I’ll give them that much. It’s an attractive sort of off-putting-ness, though. I like it… I think.

But Fearless Fantasy isn’t just a battle system fused with an absurdist art gallery. Despite coming from a two-person team, it will apparently have all the trappings of a modern RPG: a story with fully voiced cut-scenes, character progression, items, boss fights, and my personal favorite, “RPG stuff!”

Fearless Fantasy will be out sometime this spring. I still don’t entirely know what to make of it (especially the notion of a gesture-based battle system), but I’m certainly willing to give it a try. Does this one strike your fancy, presumably by flailing its mouse about until something cool happens?

, , .

1. Heliocentric says:

Games that evoke mastery in the player? Or trying to heal someone and burning down a grain silo instead in Black and White.

If only more JRPG(turn based, multi-character, class build monster bathers specifically) could allow terrain (maybe even deformation) to be a meaningful option. It’s not fun when you are just clicking scissors until the paper monster dies.

Maybe having to carefully gesture scissors will help, but I can’t envisage it.

amateurviking says:

“resulting in very involved and interesting gameplay on every turn.”

I’ll be the judge of that Developer-person, thank you!

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, but that’s what Developer-persons love to say and even have to say, because if you don’t think your own game is incredible, no one else will. And as always, it’s up to the Consumer-person to decide if what the Developer-person is saying is true or not.

3. rinseout says:

The purple stripy monster reminds me of Yellow Submarine’s baddies

4. Notebooked says:

Well, I do like rhythm-based circle tapping. Not sure how the effect will translate to a mouse though. On another note, those graphics look almost like gently moved paper dolls. It’s unusual and fairly nice.

5. Ny24 says:

I think with RPG-stuff they mean, that the girl is a healer, has a bow and wears no armor? Still, a very interesting and funny trailer. Probably will give it a try!

6. Viroso says:

From now there’ll be a ton of JRPG-ish games. This will be 2014. Child of Light and South Park will come out and then people will like it and they’ll write thinkpieces about JRPGs and turn based battles and yadda yadda yadda and then there’ll be a ton of indie JRPGs coming into evidence like 6 months from now because this time people will invest into nice graphics and won’t use RPG Maker.

• vivlo says:

U saying RPG iz de new Space Sim, as Space Sim was the new Zombies ?

jrodman says:

There’s really no reason we can’t have Space Sim RPGS with zombies.

7. Servizio says:

That actually looks pretty cool.

8. Synesthesia says:

Oh my god the artstyle just gave me 3 separate aneurysms. I’m jsrust gunf liedwon arrffthalp

9. Milos says:

This is… everything I could ever ask from a video game – and more.

cpt_freakout says:

The idea is cool, but man is that art horrid.

11. lomaxgnome says:

I’ve always enjoyed RPGs that added some interaction to the battles, going back to Super Mario RPG on the SNES and games like the first two Penny Arcade Episodes and Costume Quest. Those tend to be designed for controllers though, so it’s nice to see one targeted at mouse movement. But watching the preview, it really looks more like it was designed for a touch interface.

12. Trumbles says:

Ever since Legend Of The Dragoon, on the original Playstation, I’ve been waiting for another RPG to actually involve the user every turn.

LOTD did it with a timing-based button press system, each character had “Additions”, which were combos that varied in length, difficulty and power. You had to press X at the right time during each attack to continue the combo, and enemies could try to throw you off with a “counterattack”, which would make you either press O at the right time instead of X, or your combo would get broken, and you would take damage.

• Nixitur says:

There’s quite a few handheld games which involve the player. Like the Mario & Luigi series of RPGs for the GBA, DS and 3DS. Especially the special attacks could be extremely powerful if you knew what you were doing or pitifully weak if you miss the button presses.

Then there’s also Super Robot Taisen OG Saga: Endless Frontier for the Nintendo DS which, despite its stupid name, had a very interesting and difficult battle system where you have to juggle your opponents with your attacks. If, at any time, they touch the ground, there is a chance that they’ll guard, making the rest of your combo do no damage. That chance gets higher as you progress further in the game and it’s made more interesting by the enemies having three different weight groups, all requiring different timing.
      This leads to interesting decisions because you might get an attack that is very powerful, but requires nigh-perfection to juggle a heavy enemy into and out of, so you might not want to use it. You could also just not press the attack button, pausing your combo and instead use another party member’s support attack to better continue the combo or just to dish out more damage.

The game isn’t flawless by any means, but it’s certainly interesting.

13. DanMan says:

This might get old really fast if you have to do it too often and always in the same way. But it’s intriguing.

14. Riley Lungmus says:

It’s got this A Valley WIthout Wind 1 quality to it.

Being that artstyle somehow endeared itself to me, I’m actually quite interested in this game.

15. Geen says:

Wait, isn’t Barkley: Shut Up And Jam: Gaiden 2 coming out this year? Good luck beating that in weirdness.