Pictures Of Stealth: Tangiers

By Adam Smith on March 3rd, 2014 at 8:00 am.

I haven’t played enough of new Thief to judge it fully one way or the other, but I can’t imagine many people disagreeing with the sentiment that The City has seen better days. With the creative guidance of Looking Glass, The City was one of the weirdest and most distinct environments in fiction, embroidered with lore that gave it spiritual, social and political character. The new Thief’s City is predictable and comparatively barren.

While Garrett makes a new home in steampunk Gotham, the latest screenshots of immersive stealth sim Tangiers show evidence of a greater visual imagination than the hours of Thief that I’ve played. These are astonishing landscapes and I insist that you click on every single one to see the full size versions.

It’s not so much the areas themselves as the manner in which they’re depicted that captures the imagination. Apparently, these are ‘work in progress’ images, but is it possible for the finished versions to be even more striking?

Of course, several naysayers are no doubt indignantly informing the internet that these are simply corridors and ordinary landscapes seen through an impressively tuned Instagram filter. To those people I say, ‘it may be Monday morning but let’s all try to be a little more positive, OK?’.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. Ramshackle Thoughts says:

My goodness, these are gorgeous.

2. Grey Cap says:

I am fantastically excited about this game. Just completely in love. Please, Tangiers, be as good as seem you could be!

3. Westy says:

So glad I backed this, I think it’s shaping up nicely.
    By a local too…

• Ex Lion Tamer says:

Agreed. Very glad I backed this one. And as much as I like these images, I’m even more excited to see the aesthetic once Alex implements the cut-up system.

• phuzz says:

Based in Bristol yes?

4. Monteef says:

hahahaha

” The new Thief’s City is predictable and comparatively barren.”

“To those people I say, ‘it may be Monday morning but let’s all try to be a little more positive, OK?’.”

nice, Adam, nice

5. Blackcompany says:

This does look gorgeous indeed. And I agree about Thief. Its a solid enough game, as it goes. But The City does feel more like ‘the video game map’ in this version. The too-convenient passages. The barren streets. It feels…lifeless…somehow. Dunwall felt more alive than this.

6. hideinlight says:

Instagram filters replacing post processing and bloom. The real next gen!

• Trespasser in the Stereo Field says:

Yup. I like the setting but it really looks like Instagrammed-high-contrast, which is all the rage with the kids these days. In 10 years we’re going to look back on all the fancy photos of this decade and wonder what happened to all our midtones .

7. CookPassBabtridge says:

Reminds me of one of the SCP games. God i’d love a professional level SCP game a la containment breach

8. Wulfram says:

Maybe if they got themselves a better cameraman, they could have some shots that aren’t out of focus and at an angle
    [/philistine]

9. Armante says:

Images cannot be embiggened, it seems. One only gets broken links..

EDIT Aaaaand now they can be. Huh?

• CookPassBabtridge says:

You are being oppressed by the IT demon – the one who delights in publically humiliating you by inducing computer errors that only you ever see. It progresses to lifts / elevators that seem to ignore your button presses until someone else gets in and you complain to them (whereupon it works instantly for them), and inexplicably slow 3G that magically goes away when someone shows you their handset working at blazing fast speeds. Then when you are at your weakest: Full possession. In this stage every time some piece of technology fails you, you begin foaming at the mouth and cursing in an ancient language known as “Nerdragerian”.

The power of Jobs compels you. The power of Jobs compels you.

10. Kein says:

It is funny, but “these are simply corridors and ordinary landscapes seen through an impressively tuned Instagram filter” indeed.

11. tumbleworld says:

Looks gorgeous. I’m very optimistic about Tangiers.

I’m still waiting for someone to create a game inspired by Borges’ ‘Ficciones’, though…

• SillyWizard says:

I’ve yet to pick up anything by Borges. Is the experience at all similar to Eco?