Revolutionary: Unrest Playable At Rezzed

By Adam Smith on March 3rd, 2014 at 3:00 pm.

We live in topsy-turvy times. In the recent past, it was illegal to call something a ‘game’ unless it included at least one dungeon and seven dragons. Then Skyrim contained infinite dragons and the entire gaming market almost crashed because of reptilian boss creature oversaturation. Thankfully, the industry was saved when audiences realised that they didn’t need dragons in their games and might, in fact, prefer chickens. Let’s face it, you never see a Dixie Dragon or a KFD.

Kickstarter success Unrest does contain Naga, which are a bit like dragons, but it’s also a tale of ordinary people, set in an Indian city undergoing a revolution. It’ll be playable at Rezzed and it sounds fascinating.

It’s a game about conversation, perception and choices.

The game features five different protagonists from various castes and backgrounds, and aims to deconstruct the traditional fantasy narrative while exploring serious themes and providing players with a unique setting to immerse themselves in.

I’m looking forward to trying this out. It looks more like an adventure game than an RPG, but how tiring it would be to begin a debate as to whether stats and levelling are essential components of a role-playing game, or whether participation as an actor in several roles is a much more important quality.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. manny says:

Pretty sweet art design and the interface is great too. Without good aesthetics and design playing a game for me is like looking at a bad piece of art, painful.

Arvind says:

Hi everyone, I’m the programmer and janitor for this game. If you’d like to ask me any questions, I’m game :)

• lordcooper says:

Is development far enough along for you to estimate the length of the game? What kind of balance are you hoping to strike between realism and fantasy?

Most importantly, how do you clean those stubborn stains from below the toilet rim?

Arvind says:

My off the cuff estimate is 4 to 4:30 hours for the main quest, and an additional 1 to 1:30 hours depending on the side quests you do. There are a lot of ways to approach multiple scenarios, which means there is replayablity as well.

We’re keeping the events in the game grounded in reality – there is mysticism in the game, but varying characters believe in magic (and its effectiveness) to varying degrees.

Arvind says:

Almost forgot: I use concentrated hydrochloric acid and my trusty rubber gloves.

• LordDamien says:

Looks great, the interface reminds me a bit of Ultima 7, but pay me no heed.

Do you plan to add any tools or a way to mod or add content to the game?

3. Pneuma_antilogias says:

I’m really happy I backed this game, there have been several updates along the way (and quite fun, too) and the idea sounds very interesting: a game about people and relationships in difficult times, with few and meaningful combat situations.

Plus, Naga!

Looking forward to playing this one.

4. Viroso says:

In a lot of RPGs the leveling is almost useless. For most of the game you’re fighting creatures as strong as you, it’ll always take a similar amount of hits to kill them and for them to kill you. So it’s kinda pointless to grow in power. You only notice when you see the numbers going up, which by itself is fun, and when you go back to a weaker area. Or maybe when you overlevel.

But if you do an RPG without a bunch of (mostly useless) numbers and levels, I can only think of people rejecting it. They’ll say it’s dumbing down the game, even though things were dumb to begin with.

• Strangerator says:

Level scaling has largely obviated the need for levels, I’ll agree with you there. But if you have an open game world with very difficult areas sprinkled throughout, character level ups can provide a sense of progression in terms of where the player can go. I’ve always liked passing by the big scary dungeon/mountain/whathaveyou at level 1, then finally coming back at level 20 and conquering that looming terror.

5. KarlaGWarren says:

just as Tiffany responded I’m startled that anybody able to get paid $5207 in a few weeks on the internet . hop over to this website …………………………http://zeejob.com