A Game About Nothing: Jerry’s Place Puts Seinfeld In VR

By Graham Smith on March 4th, 2014 at 8:00 pm.

Get. OUT. No, YOU get out.

What is the story with the Jerry’s Place virtual reality project? That’s not the lead-in to a Jerry Seinfeld-style joke, but an opportunity to explain that Greg Miller has re-created Jerry’s apartment from the sitcom Seinfeld for the Oculus Rift. It’s your opportunity to sit at home, alone at your desk, and take part in The Contest. I lose every time.

There’s a stand-up comedy bit from Jerry Seinfeld’s post-show career where he laments about reality television, “If I wanted reality, I’d take the screen out of my TV and look through the wood box.” Then he created a reality TV series. But now that’s pretty much what the Oculus Rift and Jerry’s Place allows you to do; to put your head inside the television and walk around an apartment that, if you’re like me, you’ve stared at for a hundred hours.

The weirdest thing is being able to see the fourth wall. Here’s what the apartment looks like without VR’s double-vision.

The apartment is full of small details referencing episodes of the show, including a puffy shirt, Pez and Junior Mints. There’s no game to it, but I’m already imagining a Desert Bus-style challenge which models the Chinese Restaurant, where service never comes and you have to sit and wait for as long as your patience allows. Or a procedurally generated Parking Garage, where the walls move when you’re not looking and you can never find the exit.

Alternatively, just model Kramer’s apartment from during the Merv Griffin Show episode and I’ll be happy enough.

I’m sure it’s only a matter of time before other TV shows follow suit and we’re able to wander around the Cheers bar, Central Perk, and other famous TV locations. Geez, what about when someone makes the library from early seasons of Buffy? I might never come back.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. kaer says:

They should put a stain on the seat of the couch.

2. The Random One says:

The contest is a lot like The Game in that way, Graham.

What does the fourth wall look like, anyway? In the screenshot it looks like an ubiquitous mirrored surface.And the rest of the apartment just looks ‘wrong’ because it’s at a slightly different angle from the one I’m accostumed to…

3. Neurotic says:

Now I have a reason to buy one of these bloody things, and if I never used another game or piece of software with it, it still would be a priceless investment.

4. Jerppa says:

The day of reckoning is coming!

5. Werthead says:

They should have Kramer just burst through the door randomly when you’re wandering around, just to freak you out.

6. Runs With Foxes says:

Not really a game though is it

7. Beernut says:

Nice. I’m hoping for so many other “places” to be made into VR-places for the Rift as well. Frasier’s living room, large parts of the Enterprise NCC-1701-D, Voyager or Deep Space Nine. The latter could easily be real games letting you simulate the life as an ordinary crew-member or something along those lines. Perhaps not too ordinary. Who’d want to simulate scrubbing plasma-conduits for hours on end? :)

• matmobile says:

I would love to see the sets of Friends this way. Maybe even see the audience as the 4th wall.

8. Synesthesia says:

hehe, that title.

9. Stupoider says:

These pixels are making me thirsty!

10. Phasma Felis says:

Anybody remember the early days of PC virtual reality, 20 years ago and more, when we were promised we’d be able to explore familiar, real-seeming virtual spaces (in unshaded polygons)?

Funny how that actually seems to be coming true after so many years of dismissal.

11. MacTheGeek says:

I lose The Contest, even when I’m only playing with myself.

12. Faxanadu says:

Yeessss, Oculus Rift news, *thwack!*, *ssssuuuuuuuck!*, mmmmmh, the sweet succulent promise, the anticipation, the hype!

More! More Oculus Rift articles! I NEED them! I heard they released some new pictures of the Oculus! Make an article about them! No, wait, make an article about each of them!