The RPS Bargain Bucket: High on Life

By Cassandra Khaw on March 8th, 2014 at 12:30 pm.

Hello, Bucketeers! Something weird happened this week. The Internet gave me a dose of that thing called “faith in the human spirit.” After having his finances upturned by that thing called a questionable health care system, IGF chairman Brandon Boyer put up a cancer treatment relief fund on GoFundMe. And after only five days? It’s almost, almost at its target goal of $110, 000. Which is bloody amazing and a testament to how damn cool the video game industry is. I love you guys. You make me so damn happy, sometimes. But that’s my public service ramble of the week. Now, here are some cool games going for cheap. (And plushies. Their names are Hoot and Rambert.)

Devolver Digital Double Debut Bundle
Pay at least $10 / £5.98 / €3.39 to get everything
Screw the other Humble Bundle. Devolver Digital’s transmedia package is the one you want. I’ve always been a huge fan of the edgy, tongue-in-cheek indie publisher and for good reason, I think. They do cool stuff like have fictional members of the board chatter on Twitter and donate money to rad people like Brandon Boyer. Yup, that’s right. Here’s an opportunity to cash in on an awesome deal and be charitable. Pick up games like Defense Technica and films like Austin High while donating to Boyer’s cancer relief fund. What could be better than that?

Waking Mars
$1.99/£1.19/€ 1.43
In case you missed your opportunity to snag Waking Mars last week, Tiger Style was kind enough to engineer a 80% discount for this lovely game over at Desura. Unlike so many sci-fi games set in space, Waking Mars won’t have you slotted into the shoes of a perma-roided space marine. No, you’re a gardener here. An interstellar explorer with a green thumb and a fascinating mission. It’s thoughtful, atmospheric and all kinds of words you should view as high praise. We have a Wot I think. Go read it. (P.S: Rates might be wonky because Desura doesn’t seem to like Hola! terribly much.)

The Adrenaline Bundle
$5.08/£3.64/€4.39
BundleStars’ Adrenaline Bundle is rather delicious. While I can’t vouch for all the games in the bundle, I’m rather fond of some of them. Ring Runner’s a twin-stick shooter taken to fresh heights , Rock of Ages is just bonkers, Monday Night Combat is great with friends and Kaptain Brawe: A Brawe New World is like a point-and-click adventure starring a bearded Zap Brannigan almost. And while the rest of the bundle doesn’t look half-shabby at all, I suspect the real star is possibly the Axis Game Factory. Time for some game-making?

(P.S: BundleStars and Hola don’t seem to be getting along either. I keep getting Euros regardless of what I do. Interestingly, US folk get it a touch cheaper than others so I’m using that as a point of reference.)

Rogue Legacy
$5.09/£4.07/€4.75
I really, really like Rogue Legacy. I’m absolutely terrible at it, but I love the game. On the off-chance you’ve somehow missed every glowing mention of Rogue Legacy, it’s a 2D, sidescrolling procedural death adventure which will have you leading an entire family into certain doom. Like, really. Whenever a character dies, you’ll be able to then take control of one of their children and direct said kid back into the twisting, dangerous castle. There are just so many things to like about Rogue Legacy, not least of all its take on sexual preferences. Have this Wot I think if you don’t believe me.

Also of note:

Left 4 Dead Bundle – $$7.49/£5.74/€7,49
Hey, look. Left 4 Dead and Left 4 Dead 2 is available for cheap. No, you don’t get a sales pitch with it.

The Humble Weekly Sale: Popcap – $6.0/£3.59/€4.33 is the price to beat
(Edited for less grump) I don’t know how I feel about this. On one hand, it’s kind of awesome that all the proceeds will go straight to charity and/or Humble Bundle. You can’t actually give money to Electronic Arts. On the other, it’s Electronic Arts, a company which makes me grumble a lot. I’m not a big fan of the games in the bundle, personally. But, if you are? Snag ‘em.

Planetary Annihilation – $28.43/£20.4/€24.6
Planetary Annihilation was famously, famously expensive. But that’s over now. Here’s a Hands-On dealie from Jim to help you decide if you want to pick it up.

, .

1. Noburu says:

It is worth noting that all money in the EA Popcap bundle has to go to either charity and/or to HumbleBundle. There is no way for you to even give EA any money if you wanted to (as i doubt most do).

• Voronwer says:

Exactly. I’m not sure how it’s a moral dilemma when EA is actually doing a good thing and saying “everything can go to charity”. The games even unlock on Steam. So yes, EA can be an ass and I get people’s frustrations but this is actually a positive thing they’re doing by not asking for any money for themselves.

• Leb says:

It’s not the first time they did it either. Their last EA bundle was 100% for charity as well

• HadToLogin says:

And pretty sure someone soon will write “they only do that to write it off taxes, bastards!!!111oneone”.

• The Random One says:

Well, they only do that to appear good, but if the final result is that money is given to charity I suppose they are being legitimately good.

• malkav11 says:

Well, hey, the tax breaks are there to incentivize charitable behavior. And corporations have plenty of much more evil ways to avoid taxation if they want.

• Tei says:

I wonder, when you give money to study cancer. Do the labs patent the discover, then refuse to sell the drugs to poor countries like India or Brasil, and only sell the drug to rich people in USA (not everybody in USA, mind you, only the people with the money).

What my money there do? do that money buys me medicines for all, or only medicines for the rich men?

• Phantom_Renegade says:

That…is an excellent question. Being not rich and outside of the States myself, I’d like to know this kind of stuff.

2. GameCat says:

Awww, I want that owl.

3. DatonKallandor says:

You know there’s still a crazy awesome sale going on over at GoG, with stuff like Ground Control and Empire Earth on sale.

4. Premium User Badge LTK says:

Gateways is PWYW on https://indiegamestand.com/deal/ for the next 86 hours. I highly recommend it. Previously I said that it does a lot of really weird shit with portals in a metroidvania kind of way, and that makes for some extremely challenging puzzles that’ll really leave you scratching your head. Fortunately there’s a robust hint system that tells you whether you need the ability to create upside down time travel clones to solve a particular puzzle, so for the most part it manages to avoid frustration. You should get it!

Beating the average gets you Adventures of Shuggy, which I didn’t particularly like myself but other people seemed to enjoy it.

• Premium User Badge Colonel J says:

I really liked Shuggy early on but tough platformers aren’t really my thing and this gets proper difficult later on after a very easy start – I bounced off it soon after the ghost repeats of your dead self started appearing. Too many long level repeats after each death and I don’t have the patience. But if you like tough platformers then it’s a cut above an overcrowded genre – charming, inventive, looks great and well worth a BTA.

5. CookPassBabtridge says:

The amnesia fortnight prototypes are also out on the humble page. I have been doing some nurturing followed by some GET THE EFF AWAY FROM ME PSYCHO with Little Pink Best Buds. I like to think of it as A Space Odyssey 2001 but with pink pilsbury doughboys. Cute, no idea what’s going on from start to finish

• TNG says:

I was going to try out those other prototypes, but still haven’t managed to get away from Dear Leader. It’s pretty good.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

I’ll have to try that later then :) LPBB is only about 20 minutes long, depending how quickly you solve it’s llama monkey wibble logic

6. Knurek says:

Calling a bundle with both Peggle games and Plants and Zombies ‘mostly okay’ doesn’t really seem RPS-ish.
    You guys usually fawn over these, did something happen to change your mind?

• Premium User Badge AngelTear says:

You do realize RPS is not actually a hivemind, and that the writers have personal opinions and preferences, and freelance writers that are not part of the core team even more so?

On the other hand, Horace, our bear and saviour, is actually infinite of course. I just didn’t want to be accused of blasphemy.

• Premium User Badge Rizlar says:

Hmm… bunch of ‘okay‘ games, all the money goes to charity, only $6… possibly attempting to convey irony through written word on the internet… not sure how I feel about this. On the plus side it says ‘proceed at your own discretion’, so I went ahead and gave a load of money to the MRA to play peggle.

• The Random One says:

Of course RPS actually is a hivemind – they just haven’t fully absorbed Cassandra yet. Her plushie defenses are too powerful, but unlike Horace, finite. Soon.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

…. I spilled my coffee laughing at that.

Also, sorry guys. D: I just don’t like Peggle.

• Jalan says:

Most of those games were from a time when PopCap still had a heart. You know, prior to EA carving it out and eating it raw and rinsing it down with a flagon of George Fan’s tears. There is no in-app purchase cheap enough to recover one’s soul.

• malkav11 says:

You’re not alone. I’ve never really seen a whole lot of depth there and the SFX only lasted me so long as an incentive.

7. Premium User Badge LTK says:

Also, I would be remiss not to mention One Finger Death Punch for peanuts on Steam. It’s incredibly fun, just non-stop brutal fast-paced feel-good kung-fu action. A true masterpiece of a game.

And it’s even cheaper if you get it DRM-free at http://www.shinyloot.com/one-finger-death-punch!

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Totalbiscuit went so high-pitched with squee over that game that my collection of cut-glass RPS journalist busts shattered, costing exactly £1.36 to replace. Looks like fun.

• secuda says:

I am probably the only one that feels its kinda controversy to pay for a flash game, that was free on newgrounds few years back.

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

I’m pretty sure it was on XBLIG first and foremost.

• secuda says:

I was not pointing at this game but flash games in generall wich had equal of quality.

• Premium User Badge LTK says:

Then you’re just talking nonsense. This game far, far surpasses the quality of your average free flash game. Don’t let the art style fool you.

8. mlaskus says:

Adrenaline Bundle contains also Expeditions: Conquistador, I’ve played it recently and loved it.
    It’s a pretty unique mix of turn based tactical battles, world exploration with resource gathering and text adventures.
    You have to keep your expedition safe, fed and happy while you explore the uncharted lands of Mexico, trade with or exploit the locals. It’s a very unique experience and I recommend anyone to try it.

• Moraven says:

Been meaning to get it, great bundle.

EtherLords looks like a decent game in the same genre, also in the Bundle.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Ooooh, that sounds like fun. *snags the bundle for herself*

• Premium User Badge Martel says:

Don’t you know that dealers are never supposed to sample their own product?

• Cassandra Khaw says:

SILENCE FOOL

• CookPassBabtridge says:

0_0
            Noooo Cassandra’s gone evil, from her all consuming addiction to bargain games. Its all our fault, for making her seek them out for us :*(
            Its like that scene in Superman 3….Its OK Cassandra. You can be great again! Go fight your alter ego in a scrapyard. We believe in youuuuuu :D

9. MajorManiac says:

Carrier Command: Gaea Mission for £1.99 here – http://store.steampowered.com/app/65740/

Honestly not sure if this has got much better than the original demo, but I hear its improved a little. Also its hard to argue with the 90% discount.

• Stardreamer says:

I tried arguing with the 90% discount based on the things I’d heard about the game but it just sat there looking at me with big, innocent eyes. Sixty seconds later I was clicking the magic buttons that meant I could take the little rascal home with me.

Hard to argue: CONFIRMED.

• MattM says:

I tried gaia mission for 3 hours two months ago and hated it. The opening fps section is lousy and the squad AI pathing is still awful. I can see how the game might get better once some more stuff unlocked, but I wasn’t having fun and I didn’t think any later fun would would make up for all the problems with the game. There is a neat game in there somewhere but so many elements are so poorly executed that I don’t think its worth getting.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

A few questions to those who have played it based on videos I’ve seen. Apologies as its the morning and I may be a bit irritable. Waiting for tea and toast to kick in:

1. Does the overacted Tuff Cocknee Yet Venerably Battle Wyze Geeza (TCYVBWG) do TCYVBWG accent / awful attempt to be an irritated Jason Statham all the way through?
        2. Does TCYVBWG say “Essi” in every single sentence in the whole game?
        3. Has the AI improved from “complete battlefield liability” to “competent”?
        4. Are the FP shooting sections relatively few and far between / entirely up to you?
        5. Are there many more enemy types besides droids and drones?

Most of the reviews I have read use the word “frustration” a lot, and that coupled with the irritation of Bohemia’s english voice actor (I’m southern english myself and he just sounds like he’s imitating someone who was a bit cross and happened to be from Essex), the same one who wittered all over British Armed Forces, kind of puts this in the “cheap moneywise, bloody expensive in patience” camp.

• wu wei says:

Has the AI improved from “complete battlefield liability” to “competent”?

In one of the early sections of the campaign, I launched 2 walruses: one controlled, and one in AI-driven “assist” mode. Hit the island and noticed the assist walrus was nowhere to be seen. The carrier had parked with its docking bays facing away from the island; the AI-driven walrus had undocked and then proceeded to beat itself against the side of the carrier trying to make a bee-line for my walrus.

After finishing the mission, I put both walrusi into AI mode and set a waypoint for the island. Despite there being roads across the entire damn thing, both of them decided to try traversing the untraversable mud instead. Cue 5+ mins of having to manually slide the goddamn things out of the mud and set dozens of waypoints so it wouldn’t happen again and I’d had enough.

The original was the first PC game I ever bought and I swear its support AI was far better.

10. Sidewinder says:

I grabbed Waking Mars a while back because I thought it sounded interesting, so there may be more backstory than I’m aware of, but last I checked, Mars is orbiting the same star we are.

…Unless Cassandra knows something I don’t…

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Wait. What. Did I have a brain burp somewhere? @___@

• Xocrates says:

This was a subtle one, though I’m not sure Sidewinder is actually right:

“[...] An interstellar explorer [...]“

• Cassandra Khaw says:

Oh, catfish.

Well, I suppose, depending on how you look at it, Mars could be positioned between any number of stars…

• Heliocentric says:

One ending is definitely interstellar, you are covered.

• Stardreamer says:

There are, frighteningly, 13 places caled “Aberdeen” on the Earth. So if we extrapolate from this…there must be at least seven million planets called Mars out in the universe.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Mars is situated between Bounty and Munchies, at least in my local shop. And now I want chocolate.

• Premium User Badge Gap Gen says:

This is huge SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS, but that’s not 100% wrong, depending.

11. DigitalImpostor says:

It’s strange that the Devolver Digital bundle isn’t linked to on the Humble Bundle website. It’s also strange that the logo for the bundle seems to be missing two letters. And I didn’t even received an e-mail from Humble Bundle about it.

• Jalan says:

This probably speaks more about how impromptu it was than anything else. Right now most only know it even exists due to word being spread among those in the gaming industry who have a heart and give a damn.

• Cassandra Khaw says:

This is barely related but I’m excited about Humble Bundle’s connections to the cancer relief fund. I just saw a tweet by Humble’s Biz Dev Alex Ting about this. There’s apparently a 100% Brandon Boyer widget coming up. And they look like they’re sourcing for devs willing to participate in whatever secret project is coming up.

So. Freaking. Happy.

12. buedi says:

Don´t forget the Rise of Flight Bundle over at Indie Gala. Currently there´s also the Happy Hour running, where you will get 2 bundles for 1 price if you buy them as a “gift”.

• Premium User Badge Chaz says:

That’s a pretty good deal. Already have RoF but worth it for the extra DLC’s alone.

It is the Steam edition of RoF by the way, for any interested.

13. The Pink Ninja says:

Oh Tomb Raider, come on sale already.

14. The Dark One says:

In these troubled times, we need more grumpage, not less.

15. eclipse mattaru says:

There’s a pretty interesting discount on Dark Souls 2 preorders as well. I mean DARK SOULS 2. I can’t believe you didn’t cover it.

You can get it for 19.99 of those British monies things you people have, if you apply the voucher 5OFFDS2 at SimpyCDKeys, or you can get it for 35.99 of those US dollars they have over there at Direct2Play.

I think it’s pretty much the same amount of money in both places, but I live in South America, so what do I know. It is cheap in either one, that’s for sure.

• Premium User Badge Thermal Ions says:

That’s definitely better than the $90 freaking USD that Steam wants to charge me.

EDIT: Seems they’ve dropped the price to $72 in the last 24 hours or so. Still…

• MkMax says:

you can get $1.8 off DS 2 from direct2play with the discount voucher they send you for signing into the newsletter

so its $34.19

16. bill says:

It seems like Axis Game Factory is just a level builder (and prefab library), but you need the premium version to be able to export to something like Unity and actually make a game from it.

I may be wrong on that though.

17. soulblur says:

Waking Mars does have a certain allure. Feck it, I’m wasted arguing against it. Why have trips to Venus when you could go to Mars? It’s just a game, but every time I felt that was that, it called me right back.

It called me right back.

18. MkMax says:

I dont know about the Planetary annihilation pricing, the initial price was a joke (however they justified it or not), $28.43 would be what i might have paid when it appeared on steam unfinished and in beta, now a long time later (was it a year ? it felt like a year, and its still unfinished btw) it feels like too much

early access or not the clock starts ticking the second you get that purchase button 75% discounts should be starting right about now, for example i got bioshock infinite in a bundle with the other 2 bioshocks less than 6 months from release for 12 bucks, heck i could preorder darksouls 2 for 35 usd right now, why should i expect any different from this game ?