Rise & Stream: Nathan The PlanetSide 2 War Correspondent

By Nathan Grayson on March 9th, 2014 at 6:30 pm.

If you haven’t already heard, we’re at war. Eternal war, truth be told, but of a friendly, (typically) only virtually fatal sort with the PC Gamer lot and also everyone else who’s ever played PlanetSide 2. You can enlist right here for a giant community play session that’s kicking off at 12:30 PM PT/7:30 PM GMT, but if you’d rather not risk life and level one limb, there’s another option. You can watch me, a person who has never played PlanetSide 2, attempt to be some kind of war correspondent. On the docket: witnessing spectacular catastrophe firsthand, stumbling around and dying a lot, and then probably interviewing key players on all sides after they’ve emerged from the carnage. I honestly have no idea if this will be any good, but let’s find out together, like a big, argumentative family on a Sunday picnic – only with more, you know, war.

Update: We’re done! What an insane, nearly overwhelming game. Absurdly strategic and fascinating, though. You can watch the whole thing below.

If you want to go straight to the post-war interview (which is really interesting), skip to 1:08:00 of the second video.

Watch live video from NathanGrayson on TwitchTV

Here are YouTube versions in case Twitch dislikes you or you dislike Twitch or both of you pretend to dislike each other but are actually crushing hardcore and just don’t know how to admit your real feelings.

, , , , , .

Sponsored links by Taboola

Top comments

1. fish99 says:

That kinda showed how the new player experience hasn't improved. You have to want to push through that first 6-10 hours of total confusion (as Nathan experienced on the stream tonight) to get into the game.
  2. Tom Walker says:

This was really good - reminded me of the TF2 Hero Sqaud days of yore.

Thanks to our leader Phil (I believe) for patiently tolerating my utter lack of comprehension. I was TomGBR, striking up such vital tactical discussion as:
    "Ah, we lost."
    "No, Tom, we won."
    "Oh good!"

Pretty sure I saw Nathan in the final battle too, timidly fleeing the massive lump of flaming ex-spaceship while I bravely ran into it face-first.

Well played, chaps.

KindredPhantom says:

This is going to be a fun stream.

2. Tiax says:

I won’t be able to come on PS2 before 8 PM GMT, will it still be possible for me to join a squad at this point ?

3. CmdrCrunchy says:

Great to see you streaming this, Nathan.

I do love me some Planetside 2 now and then, but im gonna wait til Hossin comes out to get back into it, as I just have so much to get round to playing. The RPS outfit has always been brilliant though.

4. HauntedQuiche says:

So, 40 MAX suits down one Death Tube… Why did that happen, again?

• Horg says:

Because it was awesome : |

• Ergates_Antius says:

I’ve been on the recieving end of a MAX fountain before* – it looks pretty cool. It lasted about as long as ours did.

* God that sounds dodgy!

Rizlar says:

Platoon 3 were actually going for a reverse balcony drop, but say that to a bunch of people who have never used a MAX suit before… well you know how that turned out. D:

5. fish99 says:

That kinda showed how the new player experience hasn’t improved. You have to want to push through that first 6-10 hours of total confusion (as Nathan experienced on the stream tonight) to get into the game.

• Guvornator says:

As total newbie* I found it fun, exhilarating, bewildering and teeth-grindingly frustrating in equal measure, particularly near the end when we we redeploying more often to places I’d never heard of. I think there were times I would have put it down as the best game ever, and some when I would have rage quit if I wasn’t part of a squad. In other words, 7/10 :)

*my 4 hrs of Planetside experience prior to this represented maybe a quarter of my total online gaming ever.

• Ergates_Antius says:

Probably worth pointing out: One of the consequences of these CTA events is that the enemy groups know about it in advance and tend to come at us a little more than might normally happen. All good fun, but it did lead to us getting swamped a few times.

• salattu says:

Watching Nathan’s stream after the fact is almost like reliving my own experience. Since we were both in the same platoon, we apparently went to the same locales, struggled with the same cliff faces, even had the same difficulty right at the beginning with mouse cursor toggle. Even with quite a bit of FPS experience, I struggled to understand what was going on. I still do.

• fish99 says:

This is a reply for everyone who took part and felt lost, confused or overwhelmed, but…

First thing you can do is watch the excellent official video tutorials here-

Next thing is to go into the game and instead of just jumping into the action, spend some time looking through classes and gear, and spawn some vehicles at the warpgate (or switch to the firing range via the continent change console in the warpgate main building) and try flying/driving them around. Also have a good look through all the keybindings and get your mouse/graphics settings right.

Then spend some time playing the game but not in a squad, so instead of having someone tell you what to do you can start figuring stuff out yourself, picking your own spawn points, figuring out where to go, what to do. Make sure you visit an amp station, tech lab and biolab and see how they’re set out and try to figure out which generators controls which shields. The rest of the smaller bases are just about the control points so there’s nothing really to figure out there.

Just stick with it through another 3-4 hours and you’ll start to get what’s going on. It is a tremendously fun game, so it’s well worth persisting with.

Rizlar says:

Above advice is good. Worth noting (in case noone has mentioned already) that the CtA events are massively chaotic by anyone’s standards. They really aren’t the best way to get to grips with the game systems, but they can be a lot of fun for experienced players and newbies alike.

Nathan’s stream does highlight just how confusing the game can be for someone logging in for the first time. We will try to accommodate these people a bit better and explain the basic game systems next time there is a CtA.

6. iamseb says:

Confusing, chaotic, carnage. Was great to have so many new players involved, and kudos to the opposition for bringing us a real fight.

100+ players getting together for a group photo was awesome to behold.

7. TWChristine says:

Aww I wish I could’ve been there.. Ended up staying home with a massive headache, so I guess either way I wouldn’t have been any help!

8. Conehead The Barbarian says:

That was really fun, thanks to the leaders and people sitting in the welcome room to help!
    Just listening to the debrief on the steam, very interesting. Shame that tomorrow i’ll just go back to playing as TR and shooting at RPS ;)

9. Tom Walker says:

This was really good – reminded me of the TF2 Hero Sqaud days of yore.

“Ah, we lost.”
    “No, Tom, we won.”
    “Oh good!”

Well played, chaps.

• Greg Wild says:

Obscure community lore: Hero Squad was born during the big PS1 event a few years ago. I think in a moment of insanity where we drove our liberators under the sea and fought The Mermaid King.

10. Max Ursa says:

Great fight guys was fun
    we look forward to the next one
    GG Love
    [PCG]

11. TWChristine says:

Out of curiosity, was anyone else having trouble with the live stream? I’d get maybe 3-5 seconds and then it would go to the blank loading screen again for about half a minute. I figured it’d be a pretty good connection as it was my understanding that His Beardedness was US based..

12. Kingofstarryskies says:

Ladies and Gents, I am honored to have fought alongside you all. ‘Twas truly a battle and a half, at least the parts that I saw. Platoon 1, Alpha and bravo, it was great working with you all.
    Oh, and anyone who remembers these two moments, I love you.
    Me: All the maxes!
    Guy whose name I shamefully forget: ALL THE MAXES!

And then there’s this:
    Something some thing hippo: …Did the galaxy blow up?
    Me: I hit a rock, and then we spun, and then there was the ground, and then I was dead-shaped. King for pilot of the year 2014.
    Someone: You got my vote.
    Jesus I love this game.

Harlander says:

Did you end up getting stuck in a bio-dome, getting ground away forever, or have tactics evolved to avoid this situation?

14. Dog Pants says:

As a fellow VS Millerite, I love these calls to arms against PCG. All that giraffe camo in one place is quite the sight to behold. I managed to join in briefly to see if I could get my zebra-pattern mug on the Twitch cast but I suspect only the disco lighting from my Lasher got any coverage. Still, more of this sort of thing please.