Planet Express: Space Run Delivers Mobile Tower Defense

By Graham Smith on March 10th, 2014 at 2:00 pm.

The main character is called Buck Mann.

When I saw the trailer for Space Run last week, I immediately opened up an IM window and sent it to a few friends. Then, satisfied with having shared the strategic space ship construction game, I felt the sense of closure I normally get from posting things here and wiped it from my memory. That’s why it’s only now while cleaning my inbox that I re-discover and bring its trailer to you.

The aim is to travel from A to B to deliver cargo, along the way dealing with pirates and asteroids which will smash, attack and damage your ship. Your ship, for its part, is basically a flat platform onto which you can fit different modules: turrets, laser beams, rocket boosters and so on.

The rewards earned from these missions will enable you to unlock new modules for your ship or upgrade those you already own: luxuries you can’t afford to be without if you want to survive the mortal perils lurking in space. Turrets lasers, missile launchers, shield generators, thrusters, power plants and other modules will allow you to adapt to new combat situations in mid-flight that arise on your travels. Build, recycle, repair and reposition the modules and improvise as best you can to deal with the multiple threats you will face.

Also you play a character called Buck Mann, but let’s not think about that.

I’m not the world’s biggest fan of tower defense games, but I do enjoy things like Captain Forever or Gratuitous Space Battles, which are as focused on the construction and placement of lasers as they are the firing of those lasers. I’m not even sure you can steer the ships in Space Run, but I basically like any game in which you gradually grow more powerful as you progress, even if it happens through very little effort of your own.

Space Run is due out later this year.

, , .

Sponsored links by Taboola
  1. LevelHeaded says:

Great, another game starring a man.

• Stiletto says:

Is this your catch-line for today’s articles, or do I detect some massive butthurt due to lack of boobs?

You can get those in the real life, you know. Or can’t you? *Dun dun dun!*

• LevelHeaded says:

Rape jokes aren’t funny, sorry.

• Stiletto says:

Well, apparently you’re a perverted person aswell. Either that or you can’t even read properly.

Considering that there’s nothing of the sort in my reply. *Snrk*

Massive fail there, bro. Massive fail.

Good job, shovel more dirt for your grave there, keep burying it.

Jimmies were effectively rustled on this guy.

Mission succesful.

• Phasma Felis says:

Yeah, okay, you are definitely a troll pretending to be a feminist. Everyone, please stop feeding the troll, thanks. That little block button in the lower left is super handy.

• Unclepauly says:

Buck off.

Durkonkell says:

A man? But isn’t gender just an oppressive social construct?

• LevelHeaded says:

A new game? About a human male? I wonder what new twists and turns are in store for us.

• dE says:

Relax, I’ve gotten hold of the story manuscript, here’s an excerpt.

Tales of a Tower Defender: Day 3 of the Delivery.
          Smooth Jazz plays in the background. Warm sunlight shines onto the protagonist. Scott “The Man” Manlington is slouched on the pilot’s chair, his sweaty hands gripping the Stick in his cockpit. Suddenly, a sound intrudes. A raspy klaxon sending shivers through his stiff spine. He groans and moans as he reaches for the button.
          “Warning, Contact Imminent. Assassin Zombie Pirates inbound on your six”, the computer’s voice is pure manly aural sex, the way he emphasizes that six. Hmmm, all smooth and round. Muscular Sinus Curves appear on screen.
          “Gotta shoot my load, pump it up to maximum”, Scott exhales a breath of air, his manly beard shaking. He flicks the switch, gets down on it. His whole world shaking all night long in anticipation. That’s the spot, hit it. Keep pumping.
          “Your shots are premature”, the computer echoes. Manlington usually likes the computer’s stern voice. It tastes like bacon. Fresh delicious, dripping bacon. But right now, it’s getting hot in there.
          “Why can’t I reach the spot?”, unease and impatience in his voice, he flicks it back and forth.
          “I believe I taught you about Freeze Towers in Wave 2, didn’t I? Bloody use them already”
          “Baby, I’m all cool but I ain’t cold”

• Hebrind says:

If the character was female, we wouldn’t have any more twists and turns anyway because males and females are equal! I don’t know what you’re getting at. What twists would you want? Oh, wait, twists? Turns? Rape jokes aren’t funny, LevelHeaded!

I can be a holier-than-thou smart-alec as well, dude. Not cool.

EDIT: Ah yes, the GAME! Will it be single-player or co-op? Or any kind of multiplayer? I imagine having two ships covering each other’s asses (Bugger off, LevelHeaded) would be loads of fun.

Or even controlling half of the ship each? like a blue side/red side and have to coordinate what towers you plop down (We’re still using “plop” for this, right? SimCity is correct with this? No? Oh.)

2. csuzw says:

That screenshots reminds me of Stratosphere. I’m not usually a fan of tower defense games but this looks a bit more interesting.

• abremms says:

I had completely forgotten stratosphere. what a fantastic game. really, wow. Now I have to go up into the attic and see if I have the disks kicking around anywhere.

3. Stardreamer says:

So…Galaxy Trucker, the computer game-en-ing?

• Tiax says:

That’s the vibe I got from the trailer.

Though it might be worth mentionning that I never played Galaxy trucker, so there’s that.

• Schiraman says:

Yep, that was my immediate take on it.

• Syphus says:

I see we had the same thought.

Ksempac says:

That was exactly what i was thinking, though they seem to be going in a more serious direction than Galaxy Trucker. Galaxy Trucker is “hapless pilots thrusts in space with inadequate ship, high danger and low salary” whereas this game seems more like “badass guy with serious weaponry on an important mission “.

I prefer the hapless pilots ;)

• Groove says:

That was my thought too. Not like that’s a bad thing though, Galaxy Trucker is the king of games.

4. Syphus says:

Is this Galaxy Trucker the video game? I’m okay with that.

5. Mbaya says:

Man, this is my sort of game, doubt I’ll be waiting for it to appear in the bargain bucket before I pick this one up. Later this year? Gives me time to clear some HDD space so it’ll run at least.

6. Loyal_Viggo says:

Keep firing, assholes!

• Kollega says:

You just gave me an idea… we need a game that simulates ordering around Spaceballs, called, of course, “Spaceballs: The Video Game”.

7. Kollega says:

I’m usually not big on tower defense games, but this looks kinda cool… plus I thought just today that it’s always kinda funny when mail delivery is srs bsns involving hardass mercenaries and oodles of military hardware.

8. geldonyetich says:

Space Run looks like it will go firmly under the, “Shut up and take my money” column of my wish list.

9. MattM says:

I’m usually a fan of tower defense games.

I just thought someone should say it.

10. The Random One says:

So the main character’s not called Flintcock Mannugget? Pass.

11. Gnoupi says:

Not a tower defense, but if you like the concept of ship-building by placing turrets and else on a grid, you could try the “Warships” Starcraft 2 Arcade map, it’s quite nice : http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/9679404/arcade-highlight-warships-5-10-2013

12. radishlaw says:

Reminds me of an extremely obscure RTS around 2000 called “Star Station 5″, where your base is a space station. Besides the normal unit-producing buildings, you can attach boosters and ram the enemy base which is very satisfying if you can pull it off. Sadly from the trailer this ship can’t take much ramming…