Shark Punch Is My Favorite Oculus Game (And Trailer)

By Nathan Grayson on March 10th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

That sure is one thoroughly punched shark

SHARK PUNCH.

Is an upcoming Oculus Rift game about PUNCHING SHARKS because it can apparently be therapeutic for very specific individuals. SHARK PUNCH’s trailer is incredible and should be viewed at all costs, unless you are PUNCHING AN ACTUAL SHARK in which case savor the moment. For it is wondrous yet fleeting, like a springtime snow.

SHARK PUNCH.

SHARK PUNCH is a collaboration between Team Chaos and Chaotic Moon that’s currently on display at South By Southwest in Austin, Texas. It’s about PUNCHING SHARKS in first-person, and it’s being designed to make full use of both Oculus Rift and Leap Motion. There’s not really much else to say about it.

SHARK PUNCH.

It looks a little janky and simplistic right now, but I’m willing to give it a chance because my left leg was taken by a shark below the kneecap and wait no that’s just what happened last time I played Far Cry 3. I did really like hitting sharks in Far Cry 3, though.

So anyway, this is silly and dumb and I’m basically all about it.

SHARK PUNCH.

(Thanks, Kotaku.)

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. TechnicalBen says:

Are they using a LeapMotion for hand tracking? Oh yeah!

2. Misha says:

Hey, I LIKE “silly and dumb”, so thumbs up for Shark Punch!

Also, with a projected 17 years (low-ball estimate) until Oculus Drift makes it through mission creep and a quadrillion claims about it’s Eventual Greatness of Next Tuesday™ and actually finds its way to store shelves as an actually produced thing you can buy, the talented people of Team Chaos and Chaotic Moon will have more than ample time to make the finished Shark Punch even more awesome than it already looks to be.

Heck, we’ll probably have FTL interstellar drives before John Cormack et al get around to finishing the Oculus. Sharks may not even be a thing then, so Shark Punch will be a valuable tool in teaching our grandchildren about those majestic once-denizens of the sea.

• Syra says:

The oceans of terra will have long since boiled away and the Emperor shall have made himself known, possibly through occulus technology, by then.

• TechnicalBen says:

“Hey, I LIKE “silly and dumb”, so thumbs up for Shark Punch!”
      That will end up with your thumbs broken. It’s thumbs down for punching of sharks…

• mwoody says:

That’s not really fair. They’ve never gave a release date, and all projections are currently in line with original gross estimates. The only deadline or ETA Oculus has ever given was May 2013 to start shipping dev kits, and they actually started arriving in MARCH. How many Kickstarters BEAT their delivery dates?

• Misha says:

It may not be “fair”, and I’ll certainly be the first to state that a lot of the hype is due to websites as eager as I to see the finished product constantly talking and talking about this FutureWare and not really Oculus’ fault (although I’m sure they appreciate being kept in the public eye as something that might yet be finished one day), but life isn’t fair. Nor is the harsh reality of the marketplace.

A product that keeps not delivering will eventually frustrate immensely. And yes, as excited as I am about seeing the OR come to existence in the way it is envisioned by its developers, I am getting more than a little bit frustrated at never ever seeing anything concrete regarding when it will be a thing you can get.

Oh well. The marketplace has a cure for that too. Eventually somebody out there with a bigger, better R&R infrastructure are going to see the potential for this as well as the inevitable massive sales and are going to grab it and run with it. At which point the OR might find itself beat to the finish line. I just hope that doesn’t happen, because the OR team were the ones to really give me hope that I might be able to strap a purchasable VR on my face in my lifetime. I want them to be successful. Ultimately it doesn’t really matter who ends up making VR a reality for the masses, but I’d really like it to be the OR team.

So hurry it up, please.

3. Syra says:

The youtube thumbnail requires staring eyes tag :<

4. BTAxis says:

North Sweden here, springtime snow tends to be the leftover snow from winter that’s slowly melting away by day and freezing back up during the nights, making it dangerous as hell to step outside. It’s not nearly as fleeting as it ought to be.

5. Jekhar says:

But can you jump the shark?

6. Spacewalk says:

So that’s what they’re calling it these days.

7. jonbro says:

The first funky fighter: http://www.hardcoregaming101.net/firstfunkyfighter/firstfunkyfighter.htm

shark punching, shark ripping.

8. hideinlight says:

Sigh, poor shark, this is Animal Cruelty . I’m calling a green peace so that they can create an Oculus protest simulator.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, I want a non-violent game where you can use your witty wits to defeat sharks, something like Snark Punch.

• waltC says:

Agreed. A simulator for killing sharks is indeed cruel and unusual, especially when you realize how easy it is to vacation on the coast, rent a boat, travel to shark infested waters, and have at them with a .30-.30 replete with laser scope! The latter is far more therapeutic; the former can only lead to frustration and broken dreams (possibly even sharkophrenia, or so it is claimed.)

Being able to say to yourself: “There goes Jaws #4521, on his way to Davy Jones’ locker–for good!”, is a wonderful thing–almost as good as realizing that you’ve just saved Surfer #1229 from losing either life or limb because he got out too far from shore (paddling his board in similar shark-infested waters.)

Even better, though, is when you shoot targeted shark right below the visible fin and watch as the shark’s arterial blood fountains high into the sunny sky to pool in the water around the shark–and all his buddies hear the dinner bell (or rather, smell it) and proceed to tear your target shark apart and eat it right up…yum, yum. Then you can do it again, and again, until either you run out of bullets or sharks–whichever comes first. Now, *that’s* fun! & therapeutic, too!

9. GameCat says:

This is how world will end. EVERYONE will buy Oculus and play SHARK PUNCH until they die from starvation.

10. Bradamantium says:

I screeched like a small child on a dark and stormy night every time a shark attacked me in Far Cry 3. Can’t imagine what my reaction would be if that was pressed right up to my eyeballs. I’d probably take off the Rift to discover I had, in fact, transformed into a small child on a dark and stormy night.

• mwoody says:

This looks like a mod to an early shark tech demo, in which all the sharks just idly swam around… unless you went in to a murky, deep crevasse nearby, in which case an ancient Megalodon swooped down and ate you.

Almost reflexively threw the rift across the room.

11. Turkey says:

Aw yeah. New Peripheral. Time to hit that sweet, sweet game design reset button.

• Unclepauly says:

YES. A game where every world you beat take you to the next generation of gaming starting from the Atari 2600(the ones before nevar existed). That’s what you meant right?

12. Matt_W says:

Do people really drown their sorrows in Sierra Nevada Pale Ale and Dos Equis? That was the point at which this trailer — ahem — jumped the shark for me.

13. Moraven says:

More I see Oculus in action, the more I think of the underused AR feature for the 3DS. Bravely Default intro and trailers are great use of it. Now if only there was more games that used it for actual gameplay.

14. DickSocrates says:

I want a game where you can punch Oculus Rift users. Flash-based will be fine.

• puppybeard says:

All you have to do is wait until they put a Rift headset on.

Then you shout, “How realistic was that!” and see if you can get away with it.

15. Mbaya says:

A game about punching animals in the face? Now I can’t help but want a game based on Brian Blessed’s life!

Actually, I’d happily settle for Skyrim with a Brian Blessed voice mod…that’d be so very satisfying.

• DrLeoWollman says:

The greatest thing about a Brian Blessed simulator is that one of the levels would involve fighting the Dalai Lama.

Comment on this story