Jabba’s Hut: SWTOR Getting Player Housing

By Nathan Grayson on March 10th, 2014 at 8:00 am.

And this is my giant letter room, where I keep all of my giant letters and also everything else

Sometimes I take a story because it matters – because I’m all rip-roaring and fired up about change and subtext and gravel-voiced men yammering at each other for reasons. Videogame reasons. Other times, it’s for the headline gag. This one is absolutely the latter. Star Wars: The Old Republic – which I haven’t played since The Old Republic was still a A New-ish (And Not Yet Free-To-Play) Republic – is adding player housing. That’s kind of exciting… I guess? Trailer in the Rancor pit beneath these words.

BioWare’s not offering much in the way of details at the moment, but I do hope player homes end up being more than glorified tool sheds.

We’ve now reached the part in the article where I inevitably start pining for Star Wars Galaxies, because seriously how great was it just kicking back in your over-furnished living room in some random ditch on Tatooine? That’s the dream right there. I’m not sure whose dream, but I was living it. And yeah, the system (like basically everything else in pre-NGE SWG) was far from perfect, but it gave rise to entire neighborhoods and towns. They were usually abandoned, but I still felt like part of an actual, semi-functioning society. Sometimes.

I guess what I’m saying is, I hope BioWare’s not just adding player housing for the sake of saying, “Woohoo, we’ve got player housing!” Make the world support it, bulldoze creakier structures and systems to make way for the fantasy of living in a place. The Old Republic disappointed a lot of people because it decided to be a series of pre-written adventures in a cardboard cut-out Star Wars backdrop instead of that expansive universe we all imagined while watching the original movies. Maybe this is kinda, sorta a skywalk in the right direction? I have no clue, and honestly I stopped having high hopes for SWTOR a long, long time ago.

Who’s still playing these days? Anything new or crazy that’d make it worth revisiting?

, , .

1. scrub tier says:

SWGEMU ….I hear it mostly works these days.

edit: My SWG house was on Dantooine, with 2 small houses for crafting stations/doctors office oh and six factories.

2. ahac says:

Housing in MMOs is nice but I already have a home in SWToR. It even flies around the space. I’d prefer if they added more stuff to existing spaceships instead of adding housing.

3. TimorousBeastie says:

Given how most MMOs work nowadays, and considering SWTOR’s map layouts, I’m assuming it’s an instanced or phased thing in a similar way to how WoW is doing it. But SWTOR already has a near perfect housing system idea in its spaceships, which go wherever you do. It would be nice if they’d be fleshed out for more interior customisation and variety, as they’re a very definitive hub point for players.

4. Evil Pancakes says:

Now, if only they would rework their F2P model to not be a giant F*** You to anyone not willing to pay a subscription and I might consider actually playing this again.
    I did have fun the first two months playing this, but I don’t play games like this enough to justify a monthly fee.
    For all it’s faults, a game like Tera has a far superior F2P model, as they reward subscription rather than punish the free play.

• Grygus says:

I don’t even necessarily have a problem with being punished by TOR, but the relentless in-my-face reminders that I suck got old really quickly. Every single quest turn-in, you have to remind me that I’m playing for free? You took all my main’s raiding gear, earned in the before-times when I was paying, off him as though they were not earned? That’s not encouragement; it’s contempt. I return the feeling.

Morlock says:

One word about the use of Star Wars music: I recognise the musical quote from the trailer very well. It refers to one of the key scenes in Empire Strikes Back: Yoda lifts an X-Wing from the swamp. The climax mixes the triumphant with the romantic. Luke witnesses the power of the Force which overcomes all that’s physical, including old age. In the film, it is beautiful. Here, it is used in the context of some unknown Star Wars gal having her first apartment? What a cool way to completely dilute emotional impact.

JamesTheNumberless says:

The only star wars games that I ever felt used the music appropriately (and brilliantly) were Tie Fighter and Dark Forces

• Moraven says:

SNES games were pretty good.

Seems with the rise of the indies we have a ton of new difficult platformers again. So many platformers during the SNES time.

• P.Funk says:

I read your words in Plinkett’s voice and it was glorious.

• Grygus says:

I read it in Patrick Bateman’s voice and by the end there was a hatchet.

6. Philomelle says:

As two people already mentioned, I don’t get why they’re adding a customizable apartment when the player’s ship interior still cannot be customized. What is the point of adding a second hub for the player to spend time when they already have one they can do various things from?

Let’s not forget that the way all classes are written (TOR’s classes are more characters in their own right), none of them are the kind to settle down. Why would my Smuggler go looking for permanent lodgings when she has people sniping for her head all over the Galaxy?

It feels like they’re adding it just for the sake of adding it. I guess that’s easier than actually figuring out how to make the game fun to play.

• Press X to Gary Busey says:

Probable reason: Dollar sign eyes.
      But that would work with just monetizing ship customization already.
      Conclusion: I’m a silly cynic and this is pretty unnecessary when the ships are already perfectly fine player homes.

7. derbefrier says:

I tried it out again about a week ago out of boredom. Its still the same old game. The spaceship fighting seemed okay I guess but in my opinion was just typical mmo pvp dressed up in a spaceship avatar not really what I was wanting(xwing vs tie fighter in an mmo too much to ask?)

I guess I am stil just burned out on the themepark MMO. I don’t think there is anything they could do with this game to get me playing again.

• P.Funk says:

The first two weeks I spent in the beta were a lot of fun. Then the next month after release as my Smuggler were… well crestfallen is a word that comes to mind. Then I tried starting a Sith character and then an Operative.

I can still see in my mind the place my player avatar was standing when I logged out for the last time. I saw the menus close, the game blip out of active memory, and staring at my desktop I said to myself in my head “well I think I’m done”.

8. Moraven says:

Interesting to think about SWG player housing and the rather freedom people had. Now we have Minecraft, Terraria, Rust, etc where player creation, resource gathering is alll the rage. Just ahead of its time and developers who killed it chasing WoW monies.

• Jekhar says:

Interesting to think about SWG UO player housing and the rather freedom people had. … Just ahead of its time and developers who killed it chasing WoW monies.

Fixed that for you. ;-)

• Hebrind says:

I find it absolutely incredible that an MMO from over 15 years ago still outshines modern MMOs as far as freedom is concerned. This is why I’m looking forward to Shroud of the Avatar.

• Grygus says:

It is because developers stopped designing worlds and started designing games.

9. Freud says:

I had forgotten this game existed.

Serrit says:

I returned to SW:TOR late last year and have been playing fairly non-stop. I decided to try and get through all the mini-KOTORs (aka each of the class stories) before the servers inevitably disappear.

I’m having a lot of fun (ignoring the “multiplayer” side of things) – the script, voice acting, variety of companions, sound, and range of abilities all work nicely for me.
    I’m not at all interested in the player-housing described above though.

11. guygodbois00 says: