DevLog Watch: Thief Story & Irkalla

By Graham Smith on March 10th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

Two great looking games that look great together.

Mondays are a great day for giving a little love to new, in-development indie projects. There’s fast becoming no better place to find those projects than TIGSource’s DevLog forum, where developers regularly post screenshots, GIFs and audio samples from their upcoming projects. By my eye, the games most in demand of some attention currently are Thief Story, a cutesy, Nintendo-ish, top-down game about stealing stuff, and Irkalla, a side-scrolling shooter with fabulous pixel art.

More info and GIFs below.

Thief Story

Thief Story is about a character named Sparrow, who advances over the course of the game from robbing houses to pulling off bank heists. You need to sneak past guards and residents, use gizmos to overcome security systems like laser traps, and so on. You reveal the laser traps by throwing smoke, like so:

The devlog only gives some sense of what it’ll be like to play, but perhaps this is the most intriguing bit:

Right now, the exploration is set up a lot like Super Mario World. Where you unlock new areas/split paths as you go along. There is an entire town to roam though! There will be parks, shops, banks, an art museum, and some other locations to check out.

There’s a a mailing list over at the game’s still non-existant site, but I don’t know how often it’s updated. Until we know more about the game, I suggest putting Calum Bowen‘s theme music on repeat:

Irkalla

Despite its foreboding colour palette, Irkalla is somehow no less cute than Thief Story. It’s inspired by the likes of Alien, but there’s comedy in its pixel art. From the devlog:

It will be an intensive tactic arcade shooter game with demons, mages, spells, mechs and hight tech weapons. We would like to tell a deep story focussing on adventure/exploration Metroidvania-style , but for now we are going to keep it simple and just focus on a funny gameplay, heavy atmosphere and stylized pixel art.

Which sounds like the right way to approach making a videogame. Check out these GIFs.

As with Thief Story, there’s a bunch more Irkalla GIFs and screenshots over on the Irkalla devlog thread on the TIGSource forums. I’ve reached out to the devs of both games to try to get some more info.

If you’re an indie game maker devlogging the creation of your own game, drop me a mail and maybe this could be a regular thing.

, , , , , .

1. Syra says:

I’ve just realised I’m deeply in love with pixel art mechs. Thanks for that!

2. fatgleeson says:

“maybe this could be a regular thing”
    Maybe this should be a regular thing

3. Steven Hutton says:

That mech looks so much like a Tau crisis suit.

So what I’m saying is how do I pre-order this? Is it on kick starter?

4. Fellhuhn says:

Hmm… what do I have to throw my money at to support this?

5. Bandreus says:

Oh man, TIGS is full of amazing projects. So much we maintain a weekly column showcasing the best devlogs around the boards: it’s the TIGSource Devlog Magazine: http://forums.tigsource.com/index.php?topic=39284.msg1002315#msg1002315 (of which I’m the editor btw).

The Magazine went in a few months hiatus, but we recently picked it up again. It would be super cool if RPS mentioned it, as that would help us giving even more visibility to the awesome developers posting on our boards.

Cheers!

• Graham Smith says:

Sweet! I had seen the magazine before, but thought it had stopped. I’ll mention it if/when we do this again next week.

• Bandreus says:

Hey Graham, thanks a lot! And yes, Dominique Ferland (@dom2d) maintained the magazine for a long time until his other commitments allowed him to. I recently picked it up again (we released two issues in this new course already) and new releases get published on Fridays.

We’ve been trying to showcase the best projects on the TIGS boards for a long time now, and obviously RPS is great help in doing that, so giving some exposition to the zine itself would be greatly helpful and hugely appreciated.

I’d like to thank you guys on behalf of the whole community for giving the indie scene great coverage, there’s a ton of awesome games being developed by surprisingly talented people, and RPS is helping with making the general public aware of that. You guys rock <3

6. Konidias says:

(<- Guy making Thief Story) Just wanted to say thanks for writing about Thief Story! The site is still in development as the game is still in early development itself, but the mailing list should be working, and any big updates will get sent out that way. Thanks again for the article! The little team over at Konitama appreciate the support!

7. Raiyan 1.0 says:

Man, I dare someone to look at Irkalla and say that pixel art looks tired and overused.

8. The Rt Hon Player 2 MP says:

I like the look of both these projects very much. And oh boy, that sax!

9. MeestaNob says:

Thief Story gives me a Home Alone game vibe and I cant figure out why.