Impressions – Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance

By Alec Meer on March 10th, 2014 at 7:00 pm.

Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance is a forthcoming ‘lane strategy game’ based on Games Workshop’s foremost sci-fi setting. It’s due out on March 27th, and I’ve been playing some preview code ahead of that. What follows are initial thoughts on that time, as I have not yet played all of the game, or its finished form.

In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only watching timers run down. I am faintly and, I suppose, pleasantly surprised to discover that there isn’t an option to pay to speed them up.

Storm of Vengeance, a finished-feeling beta version which I’ve spent the last couple of days with, is to Warhammer 40,000 what the Brighton & Hove Naked Bike Ride is to the Tour de France. It sounds so… exciting in concept, but the reality is neither sexy or especially devoted to the activity of choice. Right from the start, you have to depart with any sense that Space Marines and Orks are organised armies backed up by a raft of devastating technology, and accept that all you’re getting is idiots auto-marching in a straight line. Your job, then, is Idiot Herder.

Rest assured there is tactical complexity based around playing the right ‘cards’ and choosing which costly upgrades to attach to which guys – indeed, it’s fairly swiftly necessary, otherwise your idiots will perish all too soon. Whatever might be beneath the hood though, the surface is a huge stumbling block – the absurdity of the queues, the squandering of most vehicles as fixed turrets/infantry spawners, the relentless sameiness, the flaccid, endless text dialogue. It used to be I prayed for more 40k games, left frustrated that (the largely excellent) Dawn of War series was all we really got from such a rich/ridiculous sci-fi universe.

Now I’m wishing that Games Workshop would become a little more protective, even paranoid, about its IP again. I don’t want to find myself reviewing Eldar Golf or Chaos Cart this time next year. (OK, maybe I do. Maybe I really do. Much more than I want to play more of Storm of Vengeance, certainly.)

Billed as a ‘lane strategy game’, it involves two opposing forces auto-marching (think Swords & Soldiers) at each other along five fixed paths, trying to destroy the buildings at the opposite end and claim the lane. If either side loses three lanes, their opponent wins that match. To stop this happening, you need to choose which units to deploy when and where, with which upgrades, and to constantly seek a balance between two different types of resource generation. Only busywork, basically.

So, for example, you’ve got two Comms stations generating the main, unit-building resource. Then you’ve got one Drop Pod making standard Space Marines (slowly), one fixed-position Stormraven making the jump pack-sporting Assault Marines (more slowly) and one fixed-position Rhino making Devestator Marines (even more slowly). Meanwhile, Orks of assorted flavour are marching at you from the other end of the – hell, let’s just call it a pitch, and being Orks are cranked out rather more quickly than the individually beefier Marines. Which Marines do you put where? Do you slow down build times and increase cost by adding weapon upgrades or special abilities such as Grenades? Do you sell a building in a desperate need for instance cashback resources? And do you pause unit spawning in order to have buildings generate the second resource, which enables assorted special troops and abilities?

While the soldiers essentially manage themselves once spawned, there’s no laurel-resting – it’s micro-management all the way. You need to get yourself into a situation where you’re more focused on what units are coming up and what you’re going to be doing in a couple of minutes’ time than on the health and safety of those in play, although you will need to be manually triggering a grenade lob or activating a healing field when your deployed Marines are in a tight spot. For all the automation, it’s a game to keep one busy, and it’s certainly not casual-inclined despite a tablet-focused UI and some commonality with Plants vs Zombies.

The micromanagement drew me in and kept me focused, kept me trying out new combinations and exploring what would counter what, but it did it because that’s what micromanagement does, rather than because I felt like I was doing anything 40k-related. I’m playing timers against each other while a half-dozen automatons robotically chip away at each others’ health meters, not SOWING THE SEEDS OF A GREAT AND TERRIBLE WAR. It felt instead like grinding repetition.

I haven’t looked at the Orks yet, though I’ve slain a few dozen of the green buggers. It’s possible I’ll have a better time there, as they get cranked out faster and they get an actual, moving vehicle rather than a turret in disguise. Perhaps too their dialogue won’t be as dry as the Marines. Perhaps too later stages of the campaign will be more lively – though the structuring of it as an Angry Birds-style win every medal from every level affair suggests otherwise. There’s multiplayer to look at too, where perhaps the joyful cruelty of capturing one of your opponent’s lanes or promptly plasma-slagging their most expensive unit will instate the sense of thrill and vengeance that singleplayer so far has not given me.

I can imagine too that, further down the line, after tons of DLC packs, Storm of Vengeance could find more vibrancy, but in its current form it’s the same small handful of units going up against each other again and again. As a result, it lacks colour, though first encounters with a unit’s animations provide a brief thrill. Sure, sure, the Assault Marine is chopping an orc with his chainsword again. The standard Marine is doing that thing where he unleashes a full clip as finishing move again. Clap clap, carry on. While unit models and animations look eerily as though they’ve been plucked straight from a Dawn of War game, the perspective, the flat, empty maps and the cloying repetition rob Storm of Vengeance of any sense of battle.

I’m aware I may be objecting to what the game is rather than making specific criticisms about how it’s done that. I should try to pull back, stop griping ‘why is this and not this?’ – but when I’m not having a good time I’m not sure I should lie about it. Similarly, ‘it doesn’t feel like 40k waaaah’ probably sounds supremely childish – but this is a game aimed at people who like 40k. As such, it doesn’t make a lot of sense for it to be this strange, small, clockwork soldiers affair. 40k names and iconography abounds, but beyond that it doesn’t evoke anything the nasty, nihilistic, ultimate-grimdark universe whose name it bears. More to the point, take away the 40k trappings and what’s left to talk about here? That’s a thought experiment for another day.

While generally it’s not been particularly challenging, a sudden difficulty spike halfway through the Marine campaign means I’ve not been all the way up the Marine tech tree (I couldn’t face repeating a certain level yet again, given I was already keen to be shot of this thing), but looking at the available unlocks it leans more towards statistical adjustment than dropping exciting new things onto the field. This is also a mobile game, and frankly it shows – from the lack of any keyboard controls up to the fact that all the game involves in any practical sense is tapping clicking on a handful of big chunky buttons over and over again. There’s no option to zoom or rotate the map either, so you’re just staring at the same view all the while. But hey, sometimes the ground changes colour.

You know, I wouldn’t be anywhere near so deflated by my experiences with Storm of Vegeance so far if there were a range of splendid 40k things to choose from, but when the last year has given us only this and the well-intentioned but not-quite-there Space Hulk, I’m left in a state of frustration about why this maximalist sci-fi universe isn’t bearing the fruit it so clearly could.

I’ll look at Storm of Vengeance again once it’s on general release, to see if DLC and multiplayer imbue it with more life, but my suspicion is that it’ll remain a tappy-tappy mobile game that, while it might provide diversion enough for train or toilet play, just doesn’t translate well to PC.

No microtransactions, at least. Well done on that.

Warhammer 40,000: Storm of Vengeance is out on March 27, costing £7 on PC and £3 on mobile.

__________________

« | »

, , , .

1. KDR_11k says:

This game is heresy.

2. Sacarathe says:

“Toilet play”? Why would you be at a toilet long enough, or does this not mean what I think it means?

3. Malarious says:

When I read “lane strategy game” I thought, “Oh, is this a new term for MOBA/DOTA-like? Hmm, a Warhammer MOBA might be okay!”
    Then I saw the screenshots. Well, golly, if this isn’t a flash game prettied up slightly for mobile devices.

4. Awesumo says:

The Warhammer IP is beginning to look like a worn out 50 year old desperately trying to sell herself on the street corner.

• Davie says:

Which is especially depressing, because there’s no reason for it. A Total War-scale strategy game, a Mass Effect-style shooter RPG, even a fucking setpiece FPS–all of those things would work perfectly with the setting and sell like hotcakes, and they might even end up being really, really good. GW’s inexplicable flailing with their license makes no goddamn sense.

At this point our best hope is whatever the Creative Assembly’s working on, and the possibility that they won’t botch it as badly as they have their other non-Total War games.

• Nenjin says:

We actually already got our boiler-plate 40K FPS for the modern era: Warhammer 40,000: Space Marine. A decent game, not doing anything terribly original but it presented the IP well. And Jump Packs were pretty awesomely implemented. If it had multiplayer that supported more than 8 people in a classic deathmatch-style arena, I imagine it’d still be going strong.

Anyways, consider that GWS has had lots of critical failures. Dark Millennium, another failed MMO from yesteryear, Fire Warrior. There have been plenty of critical flops to possibly explain why GWS is seemingly selling out the IP to anyone with a pulse and the ability to make something.

Still, there have been enough critical successes too that they shouldn’t need to do this. Unless the Dark Overlords of GWS, in their Space Fortress made of fan money, are really just interested in paying the bills at this point rather than introducing new players to the franchise.

Really GWS needs, if they don’t have it already, an electronics division with a manager who both cares deeply about the IP and how it is presented in video games. Lots of good games have made this kind of unnecessary, GWS just provides lore and writing guidance. But a game like Storm of Vengeance feels like it wouldn’t have happened if someone who actually cared had stopped to evaluate if “Plants vs. Zombies” is really a worthy reflection of what happens in the 40k universe.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Space Marine was thirdperson, not that I’m pedantic or anything. I would give literally anything (not literally) for a digital version of the 40k tabletop game, as I’m sure many would. It’d be absurdly complex, of course, and you wouldn’t be able to hit your brother with the range ruler, so actually what’s the point?

• Corb says:

Yeah but that won’t happen because there’s already people leaving the miniature side (the money maker) due to current price hikes. They wouldn’t Jeopordize that by, offering a digital version that gets around cost of paints/glue/models/books/etc. They would be shooting the tabletop side in the face since only the true neckbeards would stick with it while all the other rational human beings put $60 down one time to play it digitally. But, knowing GW and their shenanigans they would force you to buy a digital army in the same way/price as the physical miniatures and then sell dlc for the price of a codex that invalidates all your previous digital model purchases forcing you to buy them all over again….

• Hammer says:

I would give blood to the blood god for Total Warhammer 40k.

(Although the Space Marine FPS by Relic was pretty clunky and by numbers)

• Rindan says:

This times 10,000, no, wait, this times 40k.

What they are doing with 40k IP is simply maddening to watch. Can your mind wrap around how awesome a Mass Effect style RPG where you play as an Inquisitors team hunting down heretics and uncovering treachery against the emperor could possibly be!? Ahhh!

Hell, just give me a FPS. You finally have an excuse to have a one man army. Space Marine was vaguely acceptable, but it felt so… light weight. I want my storm bolter to tear chunks out of orcs, not annoy them. I want every swing of my chain sword to toss up blood. I want to not feel like I am running down a straight lane. Give me FIRST PERSON shooting mayhem. Let hit the dirt in a drop pod, or creep through a hulk as gene stealers skitter in the darkness, set me down on a world overrun by the demonic hordes to steal an artifact, let me blast my way into a cultist layer in an underhive.

Give me 40k Planet Side. Come on man! Why WOULDN’T you have a 40k Planet Side?

…but a fucking shitty tower defense game?!??? Ahhhh!

Honestly, even the Dawn of War series barely scratches the itch. The scale is just so tiny and it never really lets you see this massive and sprawling dark and fucked up universe. When it comes to ruthless evil, the hordes of Chaos have nothing on Games Workshop. Personally, I think Games Workshop just doesn’t understand what they have. They are far to focused on little plastic fighting men. I love the 40k universe and have never touched the little plastic men, but I’ll happily throw money at anything decent and 40k related.

• Uboa Noticed You says:

I have had an idea kicking around in my head for a while. Perhaps a sort of survival horror game set in the 40K universe, where you play as a civilian trying to survive their heretic colony being purged by the empire. Imagine how terrifying it would be trying to sneak around 8 ft tall Spacemarines in armor that sustained machine gun fire has a hard time ripping through.

• Malk_Content says:

Ooh you could lift some mechanics out of the Paranoia RPG for that as well. Have mutations be super handy and powerful with the obvious downside that if anyone ever sees you use them you’ll probably end up having to deal with some rather unpleasant inquisitor types.

• Nenjin says:

There’s kind of a conflict between a developer/player’s desire to see Spesh Mahreens gloriously detailed and filling up their whole screen…..and the fluff which can set battles anywhere between a few dozen and a few million combatants.

I mean, even the the table top can’t reliably do the fluff justice. Maybe a few people out there have spent the several thousand dollars necessary to field a “canon” Space Marine chapter….but they’re the exception.

So I dunno. I’d like someone to try 40k on an epic scale, but I worry we’d end up with….basically a 40k version of Supreme Commander, where you can’t see shit because you have 5000 units on the screen, and the game becomes about tactical blobbing.

It seems more developers and publishers (and GWS) think that fully-realized Space Marines sell better than a higher level of abstraction.

• SomeDuder says:

Goddamnit… Warhammer: 40k – Total War is something that needs to happen. Why are Games Workshop so terrible at everything

• DarkFarmer says:

whoa, my childhood. first star wars, now this? jeeze. I don’t care if this is the best lane marching mobile game ever made, Warhammer is a setting for hard core hobby wargames and RPGs. Not casual puzzly games reskinned, may this be cleansed in the righteous fires of Exterminatus.

5. Henchimus says:

GW are obviously struggling for money; they’re just selling the IP out to anyone and everyone they can.

Remember the days of GOOD Warhammer PC games?

• drinniol says:

…No?

• soldant says:

Outside of Dawn of War, there were no such days.

• Chiron says:

Go play Chaos Gate, Epic: Final Liberation, Shadow of the Horned Rat, Dark Omen and then we can talk.

• Jackablade says:

None of those really got above the level of fairly solid though. They’re a far cry from what I’d be inclined to call GOOD games or even an uncapitalised “good”.

• Schiraman says:

Chaos Gate was definitely good. With a bit more work it might even have been great.

Seriously – a UFO-like turn-based strategy game where you control a team of Space Marines. What’s not to like?

• Volcanu says:

Chaos Gate was, nay – IS, damn good. I still play it every couple of years and it holds up surprisingly well. The turn based tactical combat and level design remains far more challenging and engaging than the watered down battles in the latest XCOM

DISCLAIMER – That’s not a pop at XCOM, I enjoy the latest versions immensely – but its a fact that the combat and loadout options have been streamlined for accessibility.

• Chiron says:

Dark Omen and Chaos Gate were very good, especially for the time. Dark Omen was a story focused Total War years before we had Total War. With MP and Skirmish modes on them they’d be great fun but the infrastructure for decent MP was not there at the time.

Not played Shadow of the Horned rat but I see people say this is better than Dark Omen a lot of the time.

Epic: FL is also still a bunch of fun, the AI isn’t the best and the mechanics are also clunky, but again for the time it was good. Plus it had Commisar Holt, who can’t love that guy?

My ideal game would be something like Wargame: ALB, thousands of units, large scale. DoW looked great but I did find it just didn’t grab me overly much. Perhaps it was the AI or I’m just weary of base building RTS games with endless spawns.

• Volcanu says:

Yup- that’d be the Holy Grail.

I really liked Dawn of War but agree that the focus should be on massive battles- not base building or holding capture points. I want war on a massive scale, but where I can sit back and watch the carnage unfold. DoW had lovely unit details and animations but was so frantic you scarcely had time to appreciate them.

• Jenks says:

Space Marine was alright

6. overthere says:

OMG my eye’s my eye’s, anybody else slightly sick in their mouth when they saw that?

7. mygaffer says:

This heresy is simply a reskinned “Samurai Dogs VS Ninja Cats” with pretty much no redeeming value as a video game. This is published by Eutechnyx, the same people responsible for Ride to Hell: Retribution.

By order of the Emperor and the grace of the Golden Throne I declare Exterminatus on “Storm of Vengeance”. I hereby sign the death warrant of an entire developer, and consign several low quality games to oblivion. May Imperial Justice account in all balance, the Emperor protects.

• kwyjibo says:

Highlight this please.

This game is merely a reskinning of an older casual game that Eutechnyx put out.

Here’s a rare instance of totalbiscuit making salient points rather than just fucking about in an options menu – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CGXsOorkgpg&t=8m

• nimbulan says:

If you’d bother to watch more than the first couple minutes of his videos, you’d see he makes a lot of good points. He also generally includes a link on the video to skip the options section for people who don’t care about the quality of the PC version of the game.

8. liquidsoap89 says:

Here’s hoping Relic is working on a new DoW. I would really like one born from the same ilk as DoW II.

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

Goddamn but I love DoW II. It’s basically a combination of Torchlight and Dragon Age, and I love it dearly for that. Ditch the multiplayer and flesh out the RPG elements and I’ll gladly preorder.

• Henchimus says:

Huh? It’s an RTS and an RTS it should stay, especially since there is a shortage of RTS games. The multiplayer should be fleshed out, if anything.

• LionsPhil says:

Isn’t fleshed-out DoW2 multiplayer, DoW1 multiplayer?

• Drinking with Skeletons says:

I’m referring specifically to the single-player campaigns. The multiplayer was fine, but not really my cup of tea.

EDIT: But I do love RTS games. I dearly want Rise of Nations to be put on Steam so I can force my friends to play it.

• liquidsoap89 says:

Totally agree. If a more personalized skill tree was added to each squad, and more variety was added to the loot I would be all over that game! I thought the multiplayer was neat, but I’m not a big MP fan anyways so I wouldn’t care either way if it was there or not.

• Zekiel says:

Yes. Reason I think I loved DoW 2 campaign so much was because it was basically Dragon Age combat minus pause plus crunchy WH40K trappings. It really wasn’t what you tend to think of as an RTS at all (even though “real time strategy” is a perfectly set of a descriptions for it)

• mygaffer says:

Ditch the multiplayer? I generally hate RTS and almost never play multiplayer RTS games but I actually like the squad based DoW 2 MP. Their is a great community built up around the DoW 2 MP with a lot of tournaments, good casters, and fun games to watch. I am not very good and tend to only play with my friends, but to ditch the MP component would be a huge mistake.
        I love the idea of more DoW, but I like having single player campaign and multiplayer.

• FriendlyFire says:

What I still hope for at some point is a Dawn of War game with the epic 40k scale. I want to see hundreds/thousands of Tyranids attacking, I want to see actual, you know, hordes of Orks, I want Space Marines to be able to murder a hundred Orks each without breaking a sweat, I want Imperial Guards to be throwaway cannon fodder you don’t particularly care about losing.

That combined with Relic’s mastery at making their games look and feel right, using their expertise with squad-based RTS games, would be a sight to behold.

• fuggles says:

Have you tried the ultimate apocalypse mod? Sounds near to what you want..I don’t think my last Dow praising post ever got moderated, but yeah, mods for everything including dark angels and battlefleet gothic etc etc.

• liquidsoap89 says:

I imagine that could be the type of game Creative Assembly is making (should make). That’s part of the reason I’d like Relic to stick to the DoW II side of things. I absolutely adored the campaign, collecting loot and getting skills. I think that game had an almost perfect balance of controlling multiple units, but focusing on small numbers. It allowed me to put a lot more control in to each unit and use each of their abilities to their potential.

Setting up Devastators at a choke point, luring a group of enemies in with a taunt, pinning them down with the devestators and then dropping down on them with an Assault Squad NEVER got old!

9. thefinn says:

Warhammer goes the way of Mechwarrior when it comes to implementing IP.

I’ve never seen it done “right” in the actual fanfare of the WH40k story genre – with thousdands of troops etc.. and the few games they have done which were “ok” went out of style fast.

btw I completely agree with the gentleman above “This game is heresy.”

10. Henchimus says:

My pitch for licensed Warhammer 40k games to GW, which they will no doubt approve:
    - Duke Nukem battles the Necrons
    - Krazy Kroot Kart Racing
    - Flappy Thunderhawk
    - Kandy Krush Waaaaaaaaaggghh!!!

11. Ramshackle Thoughts says:

Nothing says the epic vastness of eternal interstellar war against aliens, demons and things too horrific for the human mind to imagine like some lines dragged in a field!

12. flatline says:

Working at a games store, we have a theory that GW is spreading its IP around as much as possible preparing for splitting the company and selling the IP’s. They were bought by some rich Saudi prince or whatnot and now they don’t care if the stuff they release is bad as long as it establishes their brand in a bigger market. We’ve noticed that their lawyer-related stuff and IP-protection is now being displayed even more clearly on every item they produce or license, from Warhammer Diskwars (seriously, WTF was that?) to Fantasy Flight license games. Having loads of games and IP’s around will be handy if they decide to split the company and sell the IP’s.
    Meanwhile their plastic model lines are ridiculously overpriced and their old staff that created the brand has all left, more or less. In short, they’ve become corrupted by Chaos.

• JamesTheNumberless says:

And you still work there, aren’t you worried? If you start to notice tentacles appearing in odd places, and/or an insatiable lust for blood (or, in some cases just an insatiable lust) it may already be too late and you should kill yourself. Glory to the Emperor.

Otherwise, really interesting insight, thanks.

• Jackablade says:

Isn’t an insatiable lust for blood a natural byproduct of working retail with a customer base made up entirely of Warhammer players?

• drewski says:

GW are a publically traded company. Their key shareholders are a bunch of asset management companies.

Whoever told you they’ve been bought out by a Saudi prince gave you FUD. Their biggest single individual stockholder is the chair, Tom Kirby, and he’s about as Saudi as Prince William. Otherwise it’s funds management as far as the eye can see.

• SkittleDiddler says:

What’s your view on the increasing popularity and decreasing price of 3D printer technology, and the effect all that may have on the future of GW’s miniatures production? My pet theory is that GW are spreading their IP around in part because they feel threatened by the likelihood that it will eventually become much cheaper to use a plastics printer to make your own figurines instead of buying them in large retail quantities.

13. Steven Hutton says:

You could seriously turn this into a really good, interesting card based mobile game with a reasonable investment of time. It’s ostensibly still in beta so maybe someone will take note of it’s critical response and try to add some substance and depth to it’s card mechanics.

Alternatively I suppose it’s possible to take different lessons and just avoid the PC in future and try to pass under the lower bar of mobile gaming.

14. Kakrafoon says:

Why should I play this purge-worthy feeble attempt at lane-based tactics when I could play the superb Ironclad Tactics instead? It lets me build decks to fiddle about with tons of different loadouts, and it has stompy two-legged Ironclads.

15. Iskariot says:

I still play the first series Dawn of War games (I despise DoW2).
    These games still look great with some community mods and feature one of the best AI’s in RTS gaming. And the battles are the best looking and most violent ever. Dawn of War is one of the best RTS games ever made.

16. JamesTheNumberless says:

GW are, as always, going where the money is. This doesn’t have to have anything to do with them struggling for money. I have faith that we’ll see more AAA 40k games in the future, everybody isn’t going to forget the DoW games overnight. Personally I’ve been waiting more than 20 years for a decent 40k inspired CRPG.

17. Stellar Duck says:

I… I for some reason thought this would be a DOTA clone?

Not that that would have been even slightly interesting to me either, but at least I know that some people like DOTA and its clones. One of these days I’ll watch a video of one of them and find out what the hell DOTA is even about.

Anyways, back to the topic. What the hell is the point with this? Purge it, I say. Brother Xenophon, to the front. Liberal application of your flamer. The Emperor protects.

• Apologised says:

Given how well received Last Stand was on DoW2 and how prolific modders were for DoW1 I’m suprised that we never got a DOTA mod for either really.
      It just seems so obvious a good fit for it. You have plenty of options for heroes, creeps, neutrals etc. On the commercial side of things: Lots of scope for cosmetic items and other premium content and is a popular IP in it’s own right.

I mean Lord of the Rings got a fucking MOBA.

Seriously, this time next year I want to be having a full argument with all of /vg/ on how Marneus Calgar is just a reskinned Skeleton/Wraith King whilst we all decry how Nork Deddorg isn’t competitive.

18. Lemming says:

Am I the only one that suspects the art and animation assets for this and the recent Space Hulk game were just ripped straight from the DoW games, rather than made from scratch?

• Volcanu says:

Yes. I dont see the crossover there at all actually. The Termie and ‘stealer animations and models look different enough to me.

19. Wonderboy2402 says:

Only the heat from a multimelta can purge this Heresy.

20. RogB says:

Biggest waste of IP ever

in terms of abused (or UNDERUsed) IP’s, 40k is right up there with 2000AD.

/waves power fist at rebellion

21. bstard says:

Exterminatus against this herecy. CA and now this plebbian entertainment? THQ still is dieing for us :(

22. PoulWrist says:

I saw TotalBiscuits video on this and it made me wonder how there was a piece this positive on here about it.

23. Volcanu says:

If they must rip off existing concepts and games, couldn’t they at least rip off the good ones- rather than Plants vs Zombies and doomed to fail MMOs?

Here’s a few ideas they could easily steal:

1) XCOM inspired game – either space marines based on a strike cruiser investigating a chaos incursion or focus it on eldar on a nearly dead craftworld responding to Necron’s across a star system. Starting with guardians your troops would progress and specialise as different aspect warriors. Eventually one of them could become an Avatar (much cooler than XCOM’s psychically gifted warrior).

2) Battlefleet Gothic ‘Homeworld clone’.

3) Gorkamorka ‘battlefield’ type game – heavy focus on high speed vehicular & melee combat. Hop in a trukk, on a bike, or climb into a fighta bomma and hurtle towards the enemy across the dunes. Dakka dakka dakka.

4) Third person action game where you play as a psyker inquisitor.

5) Dead Space rip off on a tyrannid infested space hulk

6) Necromunda game – have an overlying online metamap, where gangs battle each other for territory in the Hive. Fight other people in turn based tactical combat over with lots of destructible terrain, with gang members levelling up etc.

• RogB says:

its the sort of thing that indies would be great at creating.

but rather than working together and supporting this kind of thing, GW immediately come in with a cease and desist shutdown order instead. ‘protecting’ their valuable IP, to give to AAA titles like… erm.. this.

• Volcanu says:

Yeah, it’s a pity they don’t take a different view and think “hey, it’s great that our customers/fans love our stuff so much, how can we best support it”.

I can understand they need to protect their IP but if they worked out sensible/pragmatic deals with the most promising indies/modders it could reap dividends for them in the future. I’m sure we can all think of hugely successful games that started life as mods. It’s just short term thinking to flog the IP off to shovelware manufacturers just because they offer you a bit more cash upfront. If GW had someone in charge of community engagement who really understood games they just might nurture the next TF2, Garrys mod, Day Z or DOTA . And doing so would be low risk, and require little to no investment from themselves.

• Moraven says:

There already has been a turn based, XCom like game…on handheld. Decent game.

Also the MMO was supposed to be their 3rd person actiony game. Then it was turned into a single player RPG. Then THQ collapsed.

We did get the Space Hulk digital board game, which after patch 1.2, is a pretty good game.

• Volcanu says:

Hadn’t heard of this squad command game until now actually. If I had a handheld I might have checked it out! I was hoping for something with the XCOM style threat prioritisation/juggling and equipment upgrades/ unit levelling too though, beyond just combat. An expanded and modernised Chaos Gate basically.

Oh and I think I’m in the minority but I actually really enjoyed the recent Space Hulk. Played it on ipad and had an absolute blast. Loved it. Purchased all of the DLC campaigns too. Not without flaws but I didn’t really understand all the bitterness or how it’s been labelled as a steaming pile of kroot dung in some quarters.

24. Moraven says:

I would buy Spare Marine Golf or Space Marine Kart.

25. dazman76 says:

Sweet jesus. Plants Vs. Zombies, 40K style. Is this finally the definitive proof that we’ll never play a decent GW adaptation again? I mean, I know people do play this kind of “game” if you wish to call it that, but I don’t feel that they have any entitlement to the air that’s keeping them alive.

It’s a travesty I say. A travesty.

Comment on this story