Costume Quest 2! Costume Quest 2! Costume Que–

By Nathan Grayson on March 11th, 2014 at 9:00 am.

Flower petals glued to the eyeballs? Now that's some Halloween dedication.

Ahem. So as you may have already surmised, there is going to be a Costume Quest 2. The original Costume Quest was a delightful Halloween-themed role-playing romp from Double Fine that warmed hearts and had Alec’s internal, infernal grin factory working over time. But it was also a rather insubstantial snack of a game, all things considered. A sticky-sweet Halloween treat, but far from the sumptuous meal it could’ve been. That in mind, I’m very, very, very excited that Double Fine is carving a second Costume Quest from its colossal game development pumpkin. I doubt it’ll be some sprawling mega-opus, but I certainly won’t say no to a slightly improved stroll down the darkest of child-friendly candy-filled alleys.

That was silly.

Anyway, Costume Quest 2 will be out this Halloween, because releasing it on any other day of the year would turn it into Cosplay Quest. It’s being published by Casey Lynch’s perfect beard, sometimes also known as Midnight City.

That’s all the developmental duo is really saying right now, so it’s tough to gauge the scope or nature of this project. Given, however, that Double Fine only got Costume Quest’s rights back from Nordic Games late last year, this one’s looking at a development cycle just short of a year long. I’m not expecting the next Final Fantasy, in other words.

It is further worth noting that the original Costume Quest was then-Double-Fine (sm)art person Tasha Harris’ brain child, but she’s since moved on to work at Pixar. Double Fine is obviously far more than a series of singular figureheads, but it is a company that allows project leads to mold games in their own image. Up to a point, anyway. What will a new Costume Quest look like without Tasha? Only time will tell.

I’m definitely excited to see what comes of this, though. Costume Quest’s particular brand of tone and humor – neither cynical nor saccharine to the point of nausea – was a pretty special thing. If Double Fine can give that more room to breathe and some slightly more robust gameplay systems to round it out, well, I might just have to add a yearly playthrough to my list of Halloween traditions (watch Gingerdead Man and the Halloween episode of Buffy, take a nap, attempt a blood sacrifice to resurrect Xarlanthrulax, my One True Lord).

, , , .

1. Premium User Badge Stense says:

Well that is lovely news. I’ve been on a Double Fine bender lately and Costume Quest was one that I hadn’t played before. I was utterly charmed by it.

2. Pneuma_antilogias says:

Hm, at least there’s no room for delays here…

I liked Costume Quest, but by the time I got to Grubbins on Ice, it pretty much felt like “more of the same”, so DF will have to come up with something substantially different compared to the original, for CQ2 to feel fresh and relevant, and not just a repeat.

• Baboonanza says:

Ditching the god-awful JRPG combat would be a start, though I suspect they won’t. I really enjoyed everything about the game bar that but it was enough to stop me wanted to finish it.

• Viroso says:

With all the games using JRPG combat coming out, JRPG is the new roguelike yo.

• frightlever says:

Huh. I though that was just me. I didn’t get too far into the DLC before deciding to call it a day. the original game was great, and just about a perfect length for what it was.

• tomimt says:

I didn’t care much for Grubbins on Ice either. It just didn’t have the same grip as the original scenario had, so there’s definetly something that needs to be done to the system. And yeah, I felt the JRPG joke getting old pretty fast as well..

The good thing about Costume Quest is though, that the combats were very fast. Most of them were over in a turn or two, so that helped quite a bit.

3. MeestaNob says:

Costume Quest isn’t an amazing game, but it’s still great that it exists and that there’s more of it coming. I wish it was deeper, and less ‘disposable’.

Great video too.

• TheTingler says:

Agreed. It was lovely, but felt too small. A sweet Earthbound-style RPG made by Double Fine is exactly the type of game I want, but Costume Quest is only halfway there – if they get all the way this time I’ll be very happy.

4. sleepisthebrotherofdeath says:

If they could make the combat a tad more difficult then it’d be a buy from me.

5. SurprisedMan says:

I believe Costume Quest was the first game that they released after deciding to move into developing smaller games, and I think in the 4 years since they’ve learned a lot about making those smaller games.

It feels like a game made by people still trying to find their feet in making smaller games, but they seem more comfortable in that space now. Even 9 months later, Iron Brigade felt a lot more rounded and focused (if not quite so charming) – different team may explain that, but it probably also has something to do with them improving their processes and tool chain.

So I’m pretty excited about CQ 2, I think of all their small games, that’s the one I would have had them revisit first.

6. Noviere says:

Costume Quest was a delight, reminding me of the annual Halloween cartoons I watched when I was a kid. Like most DF games, it relies more on charm than gameplay… But this is something I’ve come to expect from them, and I’m fine with.

If they were to add a bit more complexity to the mix though, I’d like it even more!

7. Jason Moyer says:

I enjoyed Costume Quest, but I’m not sure I would enjoy a sequel much in a post-Stick Of Truth world.

8. Janichsan says:

*fist pump* Yes!

9. somnolentsurfer says:

Important question:

Which halloween episode of Buffy? For there are several.

• LennyLeonardo says:

Good question. I’d wager it’s the costume shop one. Wouldn’t be my choice, but…

10. Zekiel says:

Hmph. Slightly bitter because Costume Quest gave me a BSD which left a bit of a sour taste. And I didn’t love it enough to keep going after that and risk more.

(Psychonauts also gave me a few BSDs but that was an amazing game so I perservered).

11. grimdanfango says:

BAD GOLF 3! BAD GOLF 3! BAD GOLF 3!

• Edgy Mirrors says:

Have you tried the community-made one? I’m not sure how good Patrick’s game pitch actually is…. anyways. here’s to 2015!

12. Toastmonster says:

Well that’s nicely timed, as I just completed Costume Quest two weekends ago, and then Grubbins on Ice last weekend!

13. BluLizard says:

Yes!!! I knew this day would come!! (even before I got Costume Quest!) This is AWESOME!!! I hope this one gets a little bit better.

14. kimberlyrkuykendall says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes DOLLAR 60 every hour on the laptop . She has been out of a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was DOLLAR 20579 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to the website………. http://WWW.Worktin.ℭom

15. Edgy Mirrors says:

I’m so in love with Double Fine. It’s amazing what a good documentary series can do – it really makes me feel like I know all these guys, I’ve played all their games and their Amnesia Fortnight Prototypes, and it kinda doesn’t matter if the games aren’t great. It’s like I’m paying for/playing games my friends made.

16. The Dark One says:

Midnight City… a.k.a Majesco? What an odd turn of events.

17. Nicodemus Rexx says:

Anyone know if the Metal that starts playing when he assaults the pumpkin is an actual song, or just some filler? If “actual song” what song?

• Water says:

11 O’Clock is a Direction
      From the Brutal Legend OST, by Peter McConnell.