The Inevitable Sequelling Of Van Helsing

By Alec Meer on March 11th, 2014 at 4:00 pm.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing was an action RPG which prompted John to use such breathless superlatives as “pleasant” and “absorbing”, so I assume you’re all pre-ordering its sequel immediately. Said sequel is out next month, and while it broadly looks like another sup from the same clicky-deathfest-with-tower-defence-bits cup, it promises more character classes, weapons and whatnot, as well as the slightly discomfiting claim to have “even more humour” and “MOAR easter eggs.”

Hungarian devs Neocore claim that The Incredible Adventures of Van Hellsing II “will not just be a collection of a dozen new maps and monsters, but a true sequel that keeps all the good bits from the first game, with a little improvement here and there and adds plenty of new features.”

Here’s the trailer to look at with your preferred organ:

And here’s a statty list of differences between the two games. Numbers, numbers, what do they really mean, eh?

Given it’s only been some nine months since the first game starring the son of Bram Stoker’s much-exploited vampire hunter, I think it’s fair to not expect a dramatic departure from Van Helsing 1. However, given that John identifed some promise in that game, it could well be that an expanded do-over will hit the spot. He’s planning to offer a verdict on the sequel, so look for that around the release date of April 17.

Which is sort of a suicidal date, given it’s three weeks after Diablo III: Reaper of Souls comes out. Though I suppose if Blizzard’s expansion turned out to be nob (I honestly have no idea on that front – have paid no attention to it) perhaps people will be hungry for an alternative. A HIGH STAKES GAMBLE.

If you just can’t wait to bop vamps on the nose, pre-ordering the thing now gets you instant access to the closed beta.

, , .

1. frightlever says:

I’m reminded of that Torchlight comparison jpg:

Like, reminded a lot.

D3 sucked me back in, to the extent I skipped the recent Van Helsing Steam deal because I knew I wouldn’t look at it for weeks. Also, looking forward to RoS

2. novagoon says:

Lost me at MOAR. It’s over folks. Like this genre.

3. Moraven says:

D3 2.0 and the additional content in RoP brings about likable changes from the casual to the hardcore. Going to be a hard sell for them. Price is their biggest selling point. (vs a $40 expansion, and a $20-$40 base game + $40 expansion for those that waited).

4. Drinking with Skeletons says:

I picked up the original in a Steam sale and kind of bounced off of it. It seemed overcomplicated, which seems to be the trend in European ARPGs.

5. gruia says:

Ok, I’ll give this a shot. Found the first to be on the right path even if I played it for 2 -4 h
    the price is fair unlike other projects

6. DatonKallandor says:

Considering Van Helsing is the smartest ARPG so far, gimme more of it!

7. Lagwolf says:

I really enjoyed this game (as well as the flame-thrower guy DLC) and sometimes wondered why. It was just daft fun and I hope they don’t wreck the formula with the new one.

• DatonKallandor says:

It’s because it does everything right – it has shared stash, a “pet” you can send back to town to sell items, a “pet” that can fight, good controller support for the people want to, the option to play it with WASD movement and mouse aim, socketing you can reverse, respecs, a great drop rate and fun combat. It literally has every quality of life advance of the genre plus a couple new ones they thought of themselves. It’s simply brilliantly designed.

And let’s not forget it doesn’t need you to be always online.

blind_boy_grunt says:

wait, what? controller support? Out of the box?
        Why is it that when Blizzard does something like this they make it sound like they accomplished some gargantuan task, a task that left them so exhausted that they won’t be able to do it again(i.e. taking it from the console version to the pc version)

• DatonKallandor says:

I don’t want to give the completely wrong impression – apparently they didn’t have controller support in at launch. I only bought it after, so when I got it, it had controller support. And really great one too – the entire UI changes to accommodate it.

• UncleLou says:

I thought it did two things fundamentally wrong: loot was (visually) boring, and the combat lacked any kind of feedback whatsoever, so I disagree strongly with the “fun combat” point. The only way you could determine if you actually hit anything was if you stared at the healthbars. As interesting loot and combat are two of the main reasons to play such a game for me (the third being building a character with different skills, which was alright in VH), I thought the game was a major letdown.

I didn’t know you could play it with a controller though, I might give that a whirl to see if it makes the combat feel better.

• subedii says:

I wasn’t aware this game had direct player character control (as opposed to the click>move system that seems to be standard for ARPG’s for reasons that I still don’t understand).

This puts my interest up a lot.

• DatonKallandor says:

It’s bound to something dumb by default (arrow keys?) but it’s incredibly easy to rebind to WASD and shift things around to fit it. It makes the paint-your-own-AoE spells a lot better too. They’ve even got a button for Looting everything around you, which is tailor made for a WASD-movement scheme.

Not that you need to pick stuff up yourself – you can customize the companions AI to tell it exactly what to pick up and how to fight. And when to pop potions.

8. KevinLew says:

I own Van Helsing and I’ve become really disappointed with it after a while. One of the great things about Torchlight 1 is that there aren’t any bad skills if you know how to use them. But in Van Helsing, the exact opposite is true: There’s tons of bad skills. Then the game stacks on every mechanic at once–your character has mana, adrenaline, power-ups, auras, and tricks, thus making the game feel like you have to press a bunch of buttons all the time. The DLC doesn’t really add new content (and they aren’t cosmetics), but it instead alters gameplay. I find that to be a really odd choice for DLC especially in an ARPG.

9. Awesumo says:

Van Hellsequel?

10. kimberlyrkuykendall says:

my best friend’s sister-in-law makes DOLLAR 60 every hour on the laptop . She has been out of a job for 7 months but last month her pay check was DOLLAR 20579 just working on the laptop for a few hours. go to the website………. http://WWW.Worktin.ℭom

11. voodoojedizin says:

I really liked this game it had great atmosphere even a little humor. It was extremely polished great detail one of the best steam punk games to come around. I will definitely purchase another game from them, if they have the same formula because it really works.
    And it’s funny this should come up because I’m just now starting on another replay. After several months of playing other games.

12. Wytefang says:

Sadly and annoyingly, iirc, it forced players to only use the crappy gamepad – if it had allowed a better variety of better control schemes, I’d have enjoyed it at least a little bit.

• Valkyrie_Neocore says:

From now you can switch between the controller or the regular keyb/mouse setup. A recent patch implemented this feature.

• doodopigs says:

?? What are you talking about? Are you saying that you CAN’T use a mouse and keyboard combi at all with the game? Which I know is definitely not true as that is the only interface I use.

13. Gvaz says:

There was 3 classes in valhelsing. DLC counts.