This Fan-Made He-Man Game May Not Exist Tomorrow

By Alec Meer on March 12th, 2014 at 10:00 am.

No, Meer, no – do not disappear down the rabbit hole of researching dimly-remembered toys from your youth. There are books I could have read – books I could have written – during the wasted hours spent with Wiki pages about Boglins and Visionaries and Inhumanoids. Don’t type in He-Man. Please don’t type in He-Man.

And don’t play this freebie He-Man fan game, because its careful, gorgeous recreation of the 80s cartoon look will only send you back to Wikipedia. In any case, Mattel will surely strike this animation-like, side-scrolling beat ‘em up from existence any second now, so grab it while you can.

It is what it is, and it is what it looks like, which is to say a Streets of Rage-style affair with big, chunky characters who look plucked directly from the 80s cartoon about a hulking half-naked, half-pacifist brute with a sword. Smack, smack, smack the enemies, coo at the nostalgic soundtrack and even shove a copy onto your phone if you like. If it’s all too late for that by the time you read this, here’s a video of what you missed:

bWWd’s clear labour of 80s love features He-Man, Battlecat, Man at Arms, Teela, Orko (seriously, Orko?) and all your favourites, apart from yours. No awkward health and safety featurettes yet, however.

So far it’s got nine stages and one boss fight, though more’s expected if Skeletor decides to let it live. Here’s where to download it from, by the power of Gamejolt.

Spotted via Size Five Games. But they didn’t make it, so don’t shout at them, lawyers.

, .

1. Stardreamer says:

I LOVE things like this: Illicit, unlicensed games made for the sheer love of the source material, threatened with legal oblivion!

Never mind how it plays – I’m downloading the installer to my android phone BECAUSE FEAR OF DISAPPEARANCE. :)

2. P7uen says:

*Google searches everything referenced in article*

Damn you, Meer!

MajorManiac says:

Right lets start a nostalgia thread about cartoons that would make awesome games.

I reckon Centurions would be good. Almost like Titanfall, but more modular in design – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQT00ZSVzcg

• Stardreamer says:

Ulysses 31 would be amazing. And Transformers.

“Oh but aren’t there loads of games out about Transformers?”

NO. Not the ones I watched in the 80′s, anyway (No-one mention Tataki, not even as a joke). I’d love a game done in that style.

• Geebs says:

I would play the hell out of a Ulysses 31 game in which you played another hero in that universe who was constantly beset by crushing defeats, thus proving that “no-one else can do the things (Ulysses) can do”.

Actually, with that criterion of total failure you could just play as Telemachus

Potential mini-game: repeatedly stick additional moustaches to Ulysses’ face to assess the point at which it starts to look weird (the original character creator gave up after two, but I’m sure we can do better)

• Axess Denyd says:

MASK.

• TWChristine says:

I always liked Dinosaucers, but I’m not sure how great of a game it’d make..

3. Spacewalk says:

How coincidental, just the other day I threw out a lot of old VHS that had He-Man episodes that I taped off the telly back farther than I can remember. Those screenshots of the game look impressive though I’m preparing myself for awful paper doll animation (or maybe action figure style animation. Oh you know what I mean).

• Spacewalk says:

The animation isn’t that bad so I can relax but it’s a bit stiff. All the sprites look like pre-renders or something which might be why.

Anyway, I’ve played until the second stage, Sorceress is OP. Her falcon transformation costs a sliver of health and you can just fly around the screen shooting energy bolts and you’re unstoppable until you get careless or pick up a health crystal which isn’t really needed since everything has been killed.

I’m suitably impressed, it’s a very well done translation of He-Man to Streets Of Rage-styled gameplay.

• Baines says:

Unless things have changed greatly in the last year or so, games done in the OpenBOR engine tend to feel a bit stiff in general. It might have to do as much with the limits of the engine as with the created sprites.

(OpenBOR being based on BOR, which itself was designed to recreate Streets of Rage specifically and applied to older arcade beat’em-ups in general. Games that were themselves fairly stiff, with limited animation and only a few moves per character.)

Skeletor68 says:

5. MeestaNob says:

That looks fantastic.

6. NailBombed says:

B-but – no Fisto? In a fighting game?

Goodtwist says:

This article isn’t complete because it lacks this important He-Man reference:

• edwardoka says:

You know what, despite being the weirdest thing I’ve seen all week, that video still isn’t as weird as He-Man was in general.

Oh hey, a blue guy with a skull instead of a face. Wonder if he’s meant to be a bad guy! NYAAAH!

Sinomatic says:

Oh thank god, I thought this post had actually got away without someone linking this. (That would have been a tragedy).

Chaz says:

What a disappointing video. Not one scene of He-Man holding his sword aloft shouting “I HAVE THE POWER!” You would of thought that’d be top of the list of things to show.

JamesTheNumberless says:

He holds his sword in front of his chest when he says that line, it’s only aloft during the “BY THE POWER OF GREYSKULL” part… Were you one of those annoying kids who didn’t know how to play He-Man properly but insisted they were doing it right?

JamesTheNumberless says:

Nostalgia surfing is death to productivity. The UK gov. picked the wrong target, I would consider paying my ISP extra, to install a nostalgia filter.

10. Darth Gangrel says:

Don’t get me started on wiki-abuse, each article has loads of links to other articles, so that when you’re finished with one, you’ve got 6 more articles waiting for you and each one of them leads to 6 more. I’ve wikioverdosed on such things as Dragonball and Marvel/DC comics and I know a lot despite not reading any of the source material. The more I learn, though, the more I realize that wiki-reading won’t give me any profound, deeper understanding of them, since that is only achieved by experiencing the core material, instead of third-party info.

11. tomimt says:

Hah, Hasbro, or who ever owns the rights, should really pour some money to this team in order to produce a commercial game out of this. It’s already better than most license games out there.

12. CookPassBabtridge says:

Couldn’t hear the audio because the second of the damn Titanfall ads on my page decided to autoplay shooty bang over it, scaring the shit out of me. How does one stop them shoving their message down your throat without resorting to adblock?

Sinomatic says:

Needs more Skeletor. And She-Re.