Witcher 3 Release Date Not Definite, Cyberpunk Unaffected

By Nathan Grayson on March 13th, 2014 at 12:00 pm.

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt isn’t strutting down the beardwalk until 2015. Boooooo. But we shall save mourning for another day, as there is work to be done and questions to be asked. After all, CD Projekt isn’t just a Witcher factory anymore. It’s also working on Cyberpunk 2077 and a couple mysterious “smaller” games. When Geralt – CDP’s clear ace-in-the-hole – gets shuffled back into the deck, what does that mean for everybody else? I got in touch with CD Projekt to find out.

First, the potential bad news. CD Projekt is certainly hoping to have The Witcher 3 out by February 2015, but that doesn’t mean it’s a done deal. Quality beats speed just as shotgun beats rock, paper, and all forces in the known universe, and CDP will hold onto Witcher 3 for as long as it sees fit.

“Nothing is ever set in stone,” a CDP rep told RPS. “Our games are done when they are ready.”

“But after lengthy consideration, we’re confident we can deliver upon our own and fan expectations for The Witcher 3 by Feb 2015.”

Here’s hoping they’re on the money this time. On the upside, Cyberpunk 2077′s development will apparently continue apace no matter what. Some Cyberpunk developers are currently aiding in Geralt’s quest to cross the finish line, but not enough to sideline the massively ambitious tabletop adaptation.

“Cyberpunk 2077 is still in development,” said CDP’s rep. “While our current focus is on The Witcher 3, it doesn’t mean Cyberpunk 2077 is on the backburner – the team is working hard and everything is going well.”

Similarly, CDP’s still not-fully-announced other projects are apparently running full steam ahead. “We have several other projects in the pipeline and everything is going great,” CDP’s rep told me.

So it sounds like things are going quite well, all things considered. Witcher’s back in the shop for a few extra months of polish, but otherwise CDP – a now rather large operation – is soldiering ever onward. And all this despite the fact that CDs technically went extinct five years ago.

__________________

« | »

, , .

1. LevelHeaded says:

Cyberpunk 2077′s trailer & other promo media are absurdly sexist.

• Stupoider says:

That’s not a very level headed comment.

• LevelHeaded says:

Could you be any stupoider?

• Darth Gangrel says:

I guess that’s irrevelant, since there’s no such thing as “stupoider”.

• Orija says:

Making knee-jerk statements, and then being rude doesn’t really help get your point across.

*woosh*

• Rizlar says:

Was that meant to be in reply to your own comment? Perhaps a sign that soon other commenters will be unnecessary and you can just argue with yourself!

• LevelHeaded says:

Since the reply system in RPS comments is pretty lacking, sometimes you have to read comments as a “flat thread” of information, like a forum. Session 2 of “Critical Thinking and the Internet” starts tomorrow.

• SanguineAngel says:

I chuckled

• guygodbois00 says:

I guess they didn’t use their orija board.
            Sorry, best I could do with it.

• Mr. International says:

I feel like its more sexist to think that an attractive female can’t be the protagonist of a game without it being offensive

• LevelHeaded says:

Maybe feminists… are the true sexists.

• jackass00 says:

Yes. Indeed they are.

• makute says:

Thank you very much sir.

• Solidstate89 says:

Awww yeah, this comments section is going to be fantastic. I can feel it in my bones! Nothing but good things can come from this.

• Dunbine says:

Well, at least its the first comment. No need to confuse the conversation by delaying it to the third or fourth posting.

• PopeRatzo says:

“absurdly sexist”

I know, it’s pretty brilliant, isn’t it? A perfect reflection of our society. It looks like it’s going to be a great game.

• LevelHeaded says:

I’m only impressed when media tries not to reflect our patriarchal society, or at least confront it.

• Stupoider says:

Science fiction tends to take the concerns and issues of today and extrapolates them to the future. When you’re doing a dystopian cyberpunk future of this type where you can’t even be sure if that sexy lady is a human being, everything stops being so clear cut.

• LevelHeaded says:

Setting doesn’t excuse content. Even a “historically accurate” game that featured middle-age style sexism (Witcher) would be forced to confront that lest it be accused of wallowing in it (it wallows in it). Just like you couldn’t avoid a few strongly worded letters if you make a game with a slave owning protagonist managing field and house slaves Prison Architect style without thoughtfully addressing the issue.

• Stupoider says:

Fiction doesn’t have to play by your rules, it never has and it never will.

• LevelHeaded says:

I assume you agree that people have the ability to criticize fiction. Do you think criticism is censorship? I feel like I’m arguing against a caricature at this point.

• Stupoider says:

I’m saying setting most definitely does excuse content. A book that endorses slavery, while one I may not agree with, has every right to exist as one that calls for its abolition. These are only possible worlds. If you think fictional mediums are at the heart of society’s problems then I think you’re mistaken. They are a reflection. You’d be better served looking at socio-economic or political avenues if you want to criticise the patriarchy instead of criticising worlds that aren’t real.

• LevelHeaded says:

First, I’m not advocating banning books; you’re continuing to argue against your extended strawman. Second, media certainly does influence society, just as society influences media. It’s a feedback loop, not a production line. If you don’t understand that, I guess you live on the moon?

• Stompopolos says:

“I feel like I’m arguing against a caricature at this point.”
            That’s because in your mind, you are.

• AngelTear says:

Not to be mean, but, is that all you think about?
      I mean, I consider myself a feminist, but in this context your comment seems to me to be totally uncalled-for and unjustified.
      Plus, it’s going to be off-putting for those we should try to have a dialogue with, if you’re going to bring it up every time, even when there’s nothing to really discuss or criticize.

I’ve criticized you for this before (just yesterday, actually) but you seriously need to be able to set up a dialogue better in my opinion. Constant passive-aggressive sentencing without any argumentation – or in this case, without any concrete object to react to – won’t get us anywhere.

• LevelHeaded says:

You have access to Google and YouTube, right?

• dE says:

I more and more think that person is just a troll using feminism as the setup to cause as much damage as possible. Probably to cast feminism in a bad light. This particular individual uses the words and phrases, without actually knowing their meaning. For example, in the discussion about gender a few articles back, half the posts LevelHeaded made were attacks based on gender while the base of the discussion was to get rid of the gender construct.
        Similarly, when questioned about any part, LevelHeaded engages into full on insult mode. I like giving the benefit of the doubt but it’s wearing thin in this case.

• LevelHeaded says:

Well, AngelTear, if you thought I was being passive aggressive, here you go…

• AngelTear says:

Well, “LevelHeaded”, can you see the difference between dE’s calm exposition of his opinion and your snappy remarks aimed at insulting other people’s intelligence?

Style of sentences dE didn’t feel the need to use include:
            - Could you be any stupoider?
            - Session 2 of “Critical Thinking and the Internet” starts tomorrow.
            - If you don’t understand that, I guess you live on the moon?
            - There’s a darth of reading comprehension here.

and that’s just from this article because I’m too lazy to go back to the other ones.

• LevelHeaded says:

Hey now, half of those are username puns. See, I’m not all venom.

• Dizrupt says:

You’re a fucking idiot. Why you might ask? Well, you can use google and youtube right?

• The Random One says:

“Hey there, I insulted all those people, but since I made a pun in some of those insults, they were actually jokes! If you say I’m insulting them you’re actually missing the point! Whoosh! Allow me to draw attention to this egregious failure from YOUR part and away from the fact that I am in fact an angry, adversarial jerk and you have eloquently and calmly pointed it out in a public venue to the extent that I can’t defuse your point with a snide remark followed by a bizarre insult!”

• Stompopolos says:

Feminism casts itself into a bad light. By focusing on a single gender rather than egalitarianism feminists reveal themselves to be just as sexist and close-minded as the supposed “patriarchy” (a handy little imaginary thing to blame your short-comings on).

• FriendlyFire says:

If his/her/its motivation was to derail the comments section such that almost nothing talked about the actual news, then he/she/it was bloody successful at it.

But I’ve seen his/her/its post history and it tells me that there’s really nothing to see here.

• dontnormally says:

LevelHeaded is very clearly a troll account.

I’m enjoying it so far. A sign of mastery will be if the author knows when to move on to a new joke.

• shaydeeadi says:

I have decided to think it is Mr. John Walker, just having a bit of fun. That’s the best case scenario anyway. I fell for this yesterday, fool me once….

• MrUnimport says:

LevelHeaded has cost me enough in the currency of raised blood pressure and unnecessary scrolling past pages of irrelevant and vitriolic argument that I’d welcome some kind of intervention here. This is flat-out disruptive.

• Shooop says:

And this ladies and gentlemen is exactly why you don’t drink from the bottles under the sink. Consider LevelHeaded a martyr for the cause of catastrophic brain damage prevention.

• LevelHeaded says:

Oh I know this one! Men’s rights activist in an operating theatre!

• Nim says:

I would like to address the elephant in the room. Levelheaded is a troll, has always been and too many people are falling for it. Now please stop responding to him and get on with your lives.

• LevelHeaded says:

Trolls aren’t just people with different opinions from you.

• The Random One says:

No, they are people who pretend to have opinions they don’t actually have in order to drive conflict. Such people tend to be much more aggressive and offensive than people who actually have those opinions, and often drive conflict even with those who would agree with them.

I wonder why anyone would make such a mistake.

• Dances to Podcasts says:

I’m actually amazed (s)he is still allowed to post here. Then again, maybe it’s John.

• blarty says:

Someone has no concept of the history of the cyberpunk system….

• Spacewalk says:

“What’s wrong with being sexy?”

• El_Emmental says:

*Public Service Announcement*

“LevelHeaded” is a troll trying to start flamewars in the comment sections, exploiting the topic of sexism to avoid any ban. That’s pretty clever from him/her/it, but please people, stop feeding him/her/it.

If you browse through all the comments of the last few weeks, he/she/it is only posting one-sentence comments saying “____ is sexist garbage”, reacting very aggressively (sometime going as afar as insulting people) to anyone responding to him/her/it. And since he/she/it is claiming to be denouncing sexism, he/she/it is free from any reprimand by the moderating team.

Please stop feeding the troll (who’s very probably from /v/).

• waltC says:

Anatomical charts are absurdly sexist, too, come to think of it. Radically, absolutely sexist, aren’t they? Hmmm…so maybe we should rip them all out of medical schools so that doctors won’t come out with this absurd idea that there are *gasp* physical differences between the sexes. How sexist that is! Maybe we could call the imaginary creature and its imaginary anatomical chart, a MaFe…? You know “Ma” for the male half and “Fe” for the female half. MaFe. But, wait OMG, how sexist–we can’t put Ma first, before Fe, can we? OK, so we’ll call it a FeMa–but wait OMG, now we’ve implied that the female sex parts are better than the male! So that’s sexist, too! Whatever are we to do with this idiotic conundrum we’ve gotten ourselves into to by *fantasizing that there’s no difference between the sexes*…?

(That may well be your fantasy. It’s Not Mine…;))

• EvaUnit02 says:

First off, some context for the original Cyberpunk teaser cinematic:-
      “People addicted to augmentations go on rampages, and the streets are filled with junkies addicted to a new form of entertainment – the braindance, a cheap way to experience the emotions and stimuli of someone else, someone living a more exciting life.”
      The lady in the cinematic is a “psycho”, which in the Cyberpunk universe is a person who’s been driven insane by their addiction to cybernetic implants/prostheses/etc.

The “sexy cyborg” in the trailer is probably more of an homage to Ghost in the Shell than anything else.

The only remaining original, organic part of the Shosah is some brain matter. Her “shell” is is supposed to be “the best of the best” tech wise, so why not extend that theme to its physical appearance (i.e. being drop dead gorgeous)? It’s certainly helped with undercover assignments as seen in episodes of Stand Alone Complex.

The point is cyber augmentation addiction would be the equivalent to today’s plastic surgery addiction. People get “augmented” to become better and that obviously would include their physical appearance, not just practical capabilities (eg enhanced senses, strength, speed, “concealed weapons”, etc).

• Shodex says:

Let’s fast track to the future, you now live in the world of Ghost in the Shell and you’re Major Kusanagi. Your entire body is prosthetic, and you can make it look like anything you want. Why would you choose to be unattractive?

People might argue that they just want to be who they are, but one of the prevailing questions asked by cyberpunk media is “Who are you?” Are you your appearance or your thoughts? In a world where memories can be rewritten and bodies replaced, who are you?

Cyber babes are a huge part of cyberpunk but that doesn’t make it sexist. Real life babes are a huge part of real life.

2. TacticalNuclearPenguin says:

While Cyberpunk might not be affected by THIS particular delay, i’m pretty sure we can still expect something similar for it later down the line.

Then again, i’m not gonna complain if it’s for the best.

3. PopeRatzo says:

The multi-part post-mortem of the delay of a game.

“How could this happen?!”

4. Barberetti says:

February eh? Just in time for my birthday. Nice one CDP!

• Darth Gangrel says:

My 30th birthday isn’t long after that release date, so I also think it’s very considerate of them to pick that date.

5. golem09 says:

Witcher 3 getting more polish?

How?

• espenhw says:

Witcher 3 getting more Polish?

FTFY, HTH, HAND.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, it’s already developed by a Polish company and based on the universe in the books from a Polish writer. How could it get more Polish?

• Keyrock says:

They will spend the extra couple months adding more vodka, kielbasa, pierogies, gołąbki, and bigos into the game. Time well spent, methinks.

• Ineedcoffee says:

Created an account just to say that gołąbki made me check for dirt in my screen.
          Thank you for this.

• tk421242 says:

Funny, I checked my monitor too.

• CookPassBabtridge says:

Yes. I also thought I needed to scrape off old bogey from my screen

EDIT: Not that I leave the fresh ones

• Darth Gangrel says:

I also wiped the screen with my sleeve, because I’ve never seen that type of letter before.

• mr.black says:

Geralt can brew beer in this one..

• applecup says:

I misread that as ‘screw beer’, and was genuinely confused for several seconds.

• Darth Gangrel says:

Yeah, screw beer! Grealt is going teetotaler on us, never to drink that foul alcoholic swill again. Toxic potions on the other hand, that’ll never go out of style.

• Shodex says:

I misread your misreading as “screw bear” and…

… is there a mod for this?

6. deadwanderer says:

I’m always a little sad when RPS stories, Nathan’s in particular, don’t have alt text for their headlining story image…

7. lucasdigital says:

{ignoring the troll at the gate – please don’t feed him!}
    CD Projekt, you failed! But, thank you for daring to fail. I would much rather receive news of a regrettable delay or the need to restart development than the valve approach of complete silence. We can stick a new date in our calendar and then move on (after some weeping).

8. Ubik2000 says:

I’m actually not that upset about the delay. I still need to go back and finish Witcher 2. It took me a few tries to get through 1, so this is par for the course. Did that Rebalance Project ever reach a satisfactory state? i was sort of waiting on that.

• Shooop says:

It’s finished if that’s what you mean. They don’t even call it a mod anymore, it’s such a massive overhaul of nearly the entire game.

9. tk421242 says:

Love me some Witcher and looking forward to part 3 but honestly more excited to see what they do with the Cyberpunk game!

• neolith says:

I was going to post exactly the same. :)

• Contrafibularity says:

DXHR left me with such a need for moar cyberpunk. I thought I closed this chapter when I stopped replaying DX (temporarily, to allow myself to forget stuff) but I need moar cyberpunk. Guess I’ll have to start creating stuff myself then.

10. CookPassBabtridge says:

Wasn’t Cyberpunk 2077 scheduled for sometime after the end of forever anyway?

• MichaelGC says:

If it’s not out in the next 63 years they may need to re-think the title.

11. Wit7y5 says:

thats amazing… Start working at home with Google! Just work for few hours and have more time with friends and family. I earn up to $500 per week. It’s a great work at home opportunity. I can’t believe how easy it was once I tried it out. Linked here http://CapitalPosts.com